Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Mar 1, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #7,711 of 13,140
Aud always answered my questions about pin config on the stock TRS plug, quickly and politely, by e-mail.
No complaints with their response time back in 2013-14.

Mar 1, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #7,712 of 13,140
Hello All, 

Will i like the LCD-2 if i really like the Sony XBA Z5 and the Sony MDR z7? is the sound signature similar to any of these?

Mar 1, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #7,713 of 13,140
  Just got in a balanced cable finally from Double Helix Cables... one of the entry level ones IIRC. It was a show discount after the Austin meet, so I just asked for something cheap and balanced, haha. Anyways, the quality is great, comes with a cable, the connectors are sold, the braid is tight. I would for sure feel good about recommending DHC to others! Now I get to try my NFB-28 on balanced FINALLY.

Do you hear a difference with the balanced cable?

Mar 1, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #7,714 of 13,140
One thing I'll say for sure, you can throw a @#$^Q%TY#$%^@#$^@#$^@#$^ton of bass at these now! My jaw is about to break off from some DJ Screw and EQ (+16dB software)! Haha. (Lots of bass for me, that is, these aren't SZ-2000's but yummmmmmm this is fun).

Imaging is certainly much tighter, like I remember from my first 2.2 audition off a Benchmark DAC1 HDR. Bass seems to have more texture. Treble seems less peaky maybe? Mids are a little more open. Small changes, but worth it IMHO.

Mar 2, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #7,715 of 13,140
  One thing I'll say for sure, you can throw a @#$^Q%TY#$%^@#$^@#$^@#$^ton of bass at these now! My jaw is about to break off from some DJ Screw and EQ (+16dB software)! Haha. (Lots of bass for me, that is, these aren't SZ-2000's but yummmmmmm this is fun).

Imaging is certainly much tighter, like I remember from my first 2.2 audition off a Benchmark DAC1 HDR. Bass seems to have more texture. Treble seems less peaky maybe? Mids are a little more open. Small changes, but worth it IMHO.

Yep. On my Brysto bass are more controled and have better authority. Microdetails are more precise.

Mar 2, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #7,717 of 13,140

+1. That seems to be a trait of ALL Bryston amps, including their power amps.   Controlled, authoritative bass.

regular_smile .gif
 I was talking about the balanced output benefits on the Brysto.

Mar 2, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #7,718 of 13,140

regular_smile%20.gif
 I was talking about the balanced output benefits on the Brysto.

Of course. More voltage, more authority. Remember that it's also a double-mono design -- an independent power supply for each channel. Eliminates distortion.

I don't hear less authoritative, or bloated, bass with the SE output on my BHA-1.

Mar 2, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #7,719 of 13,140
It looks like Audeze may even more inconsistent when it comes to RMA because several people have complained about their response time with regards to headphone repairs, but its very possible this may be the minority because almost three weeks ago i contacted them, got a response in less than a day, sent my phones in, and got them back in a week, no hassle. Very much opposite to what people have described

Mar 2, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #7,721 of 13,140
But your headphones failing hasn't alarmed you? This is what I don't get, many like myself get crappy built headphones and get poor customer support while others get crappy built headphone and decent service and to them = Audeze is awesome at customer support and the whole terrible QC is ignored! You guys are supporting this when in reality we should be refusing the products until they fix things! it's been 6 years or more and the problems have gotten worse.

If this would a smaller company like Mrspeakers they would be complete dismissed.

I have yet to see hard numbers showing Audeze headphones fail more than other manufacturers.

Mar 2, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #7,722 of 13,140
I've owned 4 audeze hp's with no issues whatsoever.

I've owned 4 jh audio siren's, 3 of 4 having issues with cables cutting out.

I still own audeze lcd-2f's, and still own an angie. SQ rules all for me, but to advocate boycotting AUDEZE because of a few issues its a little drastic imo.

Mar 2, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #7,723 of 13,140
where have you seen the fail rate of audeze phones?

Mar 2, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #7,724 of 13,140
  But your headphones failing hasn't alarmed you? This is what I don't get, many like myself get crappy built headphones and get poor customer support while others get crappy built headphone and decent service and to them = Audeze is awesome at customer support and the whole terrible QC is ignored! You guys are supporting this when in reality we should be refusing the products until they fix things! it's been 6 years or more and the problems have gotten worse.

If this would a smaller company like Mrspeakers they would be complete dismissed.

Not certain, but I think they are still a smaller company, not that that's an excuse for QC.  Maybe I'm not complaining because my pair (pre-owned) cost $700 and haven't given me any problems thus far.  I love the sound, and currently that's the priority for me.  And obviously there are a substantial number of owners that love their sound and/or love the sound and haven't had any QC issues.  Otherwise, as you said, they would already have been dismissed and not selling any new units.  I'm not trying to make any excuses for Audeze, but I'm just not ready to buy into the "let's boycott Audeze" mentality either, partly because I haven't had any problems (fingers crossed), and also because I'm not sure what the failure rate is. Does anyone know?  Maybe my tune will change if I lose a driver and have to send them in and don't get them back for months.  But so far, to me, they've been worth the price of admission.

The main reason I'm even responding is because I took slight exception to a previous comment about Audeze owners lacking the backbone to stand up to the company. Everyone has the right to make their own assessment, and make their own decision about what is or is not acceptable. Having said all this, your position and comments may hopefully dissuade a potential customer who wants a product that is more bullet proof and still offers an enjoyable experience, so that's a good thing.

Mar 2, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #7,725 of 13,140
  I've owned 5 sets of Audeze LCD-2 4 died in one driver and the 5th has rattling problems, 5 cracked in the wood and I baby my gear. My friend collects headphones, he has had 4 LCD-3's die on him and 3 LCD-2's and his EL-8 got recalled..I've also met many peopel who have had a lot of failing issues as well as a returns rate from a dealer which was alarming.

I have not even got to the amount of issues on forums yet!

That is an impressive failure rate, and not in a good way.  Is it possible that the where you are located could be a possible cause for such a high failure rate?  For me in Hawaii, if you live on the upwind side of the island the humidity is really high and everything corrodes really fast, even copper due to the salt air and volcanic discharge which is high in sulfur which combines with water/oxygen to form sulfuric acid (like acid rain) if I remember my chemistry correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back