Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Feb 15, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #7,501 of 13,139
Anyone with opinions on which glue is best for the rosewood, I bought these LCD2-2s  (out of warranty..I believe) used with a hairline crack last summer

but our dry Canadian winters are not kind to exotic woods, ......  the cracks open up even more
frown.gif
....even with wood-care (oiling) and humidifiers running.

I’ll contact Auideze and see what they recommend.

Feb 15, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #7,502 of 13,139

Or you can pick one up here, brand new LCD2 form authorized dealer for $750.  The sale won't last.

http://slickdeals.net/f/8504641-audeze-lcd-2-planar-magnetic-headphones-bamboo-or-limited-edition-aluminium-750-free-shipping

Smokin' deal!

Feb 15, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #7,503 of 13,139

I would think the regular wood glue and good clamp(key to success) after glue was applied and immediately wipe out any glue should do the trick.  The potential wood crack issue is a reason why I purchased the metal housing instead.

Feb 15, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #7,504 of 13,139
  Anyone with opinions on which glue is best for the rosewood, I bought these LCD2-2s  (out of warranty..I believe) used with a hairline crack last summer

but our dry Canadian winters are not kind to exotic woods, ......  the cracks open up even more
frown.gif
....even with wood-care (oiling) and humidifiers running.

I would think the regular wood glue and good clamp(key to success) after glue was applied and immediately wipe out any glue should do the trick.  The potential wood crack issue is a reason why I purchased the metal housing instead.

Gorilla glue is a great wood glue.

Feb 15, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #7,505 of 13,139

That's what I was considering, one concern though is that it may/could develop a crack on the opposite side of the housing with the extra stain once I force the crack closed.

Feb 15, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #7,506 of 13,139

That's what I was considering, one concern though is that it may/could develop a crack on the opposite side of the housing with the extra stain once I force the crack closed.

Yes, a legit concern.  I would assume the wood used to create a housing is not a single wood block.  It is layer woods with glue the held everything together.  The crack can potentially develop at any point. The weakest point will lose I guess.  If you decide to use the clamp, be careful NOT to over assert the pressure which might crack other weak point.  Good luck :p

Feb 15, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #7,507 of 13,139
It's a solid piece of wood, FYI :wink:. For the rosewood, at least. I think all but the bamboo should be solid pieces... quite expensive!

Feb 15, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #7,508 of 13,139
Or you can pick one up here, brand new LCD2 form authorized dealer for $750.  The sale won't last.

http://slickdeals.net/f/8504641-audeze-lcd-2-planar-magnetic-headphones-bamboo-or-limited-edition-aluminium-750-free-shipping

Thank you Mr. Bond, wow what a sexy deal, I purchased it, I hope it's what I like! Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!

I wonder where and for how much I should sell my 3 month old shure se846 now.. Of course... For as much as I can get. Hahah, hopefully close to the price I just paid for lcd 2, Thank you immensely

Feb 15, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #7,509 of 13,139
It's been two weeks since I ordered my LCD-2 form Audeze.com. 

STILL WAITING, even though I contacted them and they stated that it was shipped Saturday Feb 12 via Fedex 2 day service. 

I kind of lost interest now. 

I know of a headfier who has been waiting for almost 4 weeks because of this bamboo backorder!
Why didn't they mention this when we ordered our headphones?!!!

And now I see this:

Feb 15, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #7,510 of 13,139
Thank you Mr. Bond, wow what a sexy deal, I purchased it, I hope it's what I like! Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!

I wonder where and for how much I should sell my 3 month old shure se846 now.. Of course... For as much as I can get. Hahah, hopefully close to the price I just paid for lcd 2, Thank you immensely

No problem! I am glad my fellow head-fier saved the hard earned money.

Feb 16, 2016 at 1:45 AM Post #7,511 of 13,139

but our dry Canadian winters are not kind to exotic woods, ......  the cracks open up even more :frowning2: ....even with wood-care (oiling) and humidifiers running.

Hey Rob, I used one application of wood glue then followed by wood filler that matched the colour. Got everything at Home Depot. Will let you know the actual products later (just about to go to sleep). I bought mine with the cracks which were on each cup near the connector. A problem with earlier models. I fixed mine up perfectly and that was last year. So happy with them

You crack may be a bit more of a challenge where it is located.

Feb 16, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #7,512 of 13,139
Hello Guys!

I have been bathing in the sonical beauty of my LCD-2s with a Lyr for quite some time now. About an year I would say.

I brought my LCD-2s used, and they looked absolutely gorgeous when they arrived (even though they were used)

Well now, they seem to have lost their shine in the looks department. The wood doesn't shine as much as it used to. I am thinking of waxing the wood up a bit. I ordered Leather wax too, from Audeze's website just now. But i was wondering, what do you  guys out there use to keep them shining, looking mesmerizing?

Regards 

Feb 16, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #7,513 of 13,139
LCD2F vs. HD800

Those are two extremely different headphones. I think you'll be much more likely to be pleased by the LCD-2 than the HD800, since the LCD-2 has that beautiful planar sound and no shrill highs. I read too many things about people being unhappy with the HD800 unless they have the perfect amp to pair it with.

I agree. My two week trial with the HD800 left me with ringing in my ears (exacerbated tinnitus). LCD2F are my go to for quite listening sessions.

Feb 16, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #7,514 of 13,139
LCD2F vs. HD800
I agree. My two week trial with the HD800 left me with ringing in my ears (exacerbated tinnitus). LCD2F are my go to for quite listening sessions.

That's at least the third time I've heard a fellow tinnitus sufferer say the LCD-2F is their favorite headphone for that reason. I have very bad tinnitus because of going to so many death metal shows without hearing protection and even my very smooth and laid back AKG K550 will sometimes drive me crazy after a couple of hours, whereas I can listen to my LCD-2F allllllll day without any problems. It really makes me want to try out another planar headphone to see if it's just the planar technology that makes it so much easier to listen to or if it is unique to the LCD-2F sound signature. Every time I get the itch to upgrade or try new amps, though, I sit and listen for a couple hours and all of those thoughts disappear. 

Feb 16, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #7,515 of 13,139
That's at least the third time I've heard a fellow tinnitus sufferer say the LCD-2F is their favorite headphone for that reason. I have very bad tinnitus because of going to so many death metal shows without hearing protection and even my very smooth and laid back AKG K550 will sometimes drive me crazy after a couple of hours, whereas I can listen to my LCD-2F allllllll day without any problems. It really makes me want to try out another planar headphone to see if it's just the planar technology that makes it so much easier to listen to or if it is unique to the LCD-2F sound signature. Every time I get the itch to upgrade or try new amps, though, I sit and listen for a couple hours and all of those thoughts disappear. 

Ever try out the HD650? It seems like it'd be very enjoyable for people in your situation. That being said I have never really had a similar issue and I have some light typical tinnitus. If I'm in a completely silent room it is sooooo annoying because my mind can't help but create noise that isn't there. The only headphones I've had that could be intolerable after long sessions were the AD700s.

Users who are viewing this thread

• DP42
Back