Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Dec 10, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #7,021 of 13,134

My late 2012 LCD-2.2 graph. My scanner have seen better days 
rolleyes.gif

Dec 11, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #7,023 of 13,134
Does any one bought the $749 bamboo version LCD2 from ADORAMA? Mine has no wood care kit.

Bought mine from scan.co.uk and it too didn't have a kit but wasn't advertised as such.

Came with the plastic rugged case.

I think the care kits have been discontinued for the LCD 2s

Dec 11, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #7,025 of 13,134
Mine is a plastic case too.
Checked on audeze web site, there is no wood care kit. Does the bamboo version need a wood care kit? Is there any alternative?

Bamboos a very strong material, in China it's used instead of steel for scaffolding.
My guess is that so long as you don't mistreat it it'll be fine.

I'm more in need of a leather care kit but don't want to put chemicals need the drivers.

Dec 11, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #7,027 of 13,134
I remember reading that they stopped including it after a certain time period on the LCD-2.

If you are looking for a nice, natural leather conditioner, I'd suggest either Jojoba Oil or Coconut Oil.  Both are excellent for your skin and work great as a leather conditioner as well.  And will last forever.

Apply a little bit with a cotton pad/clean cloth and massage it in.  Wipe away any excess and you are set.

Dec 12, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #7,029 of 13,134
I don't mean to cause a ruckus here, but I'm curious as to how the EL-8s compare in your varied opinions.
Having listened to the LCD-2s, LCD-3s, and EL-8Cs, personally I find the EL-8Cs to be more analytical and detailed (closer to the LCD-X/LCD-XCs) whereas the LCD-2s provide a warmer and easier-to-listen-to sound.

Dec 12, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #7,031 of 13,134
My LCD2Fs are coming in on Monday. From reading the last 20 or so pages, it seems that driver failure might not be an uncommon occurrence. Anything that I can/should do that might mitigate the risk of driver failure; or is this just lottery?

I'll also request FR graphs from Audeze once they come in.

Dec 12, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #7,032 of 13,134
I don't mean to cause a ruckus here, but I'm curious as to how the EL-8s compare in your varied opinions.
Having listened to the LCD-2s, LCD-3s, and EL-8Cs, personally I find the EL-8Cs to be more analytical and detailed (closer to the LCD-X/LCD-XCs) whereas the LCD-2s provide a warmer and easier-to-listen-to sound.
I think the LCD2 wrecks the EL8 closed and open. The LCD2s sound bigger, have much nicer mids, and are without the treble problems the EL8s have.

Dec 12, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #7,033 of 13,134
Just picked up a pair of LCD-2s from the Adorama sale this week, so far, very very pleased with them! Right now I'm running them through an Asgard 2, soon to be paired with a Bifrost.  I'm still in the trial window for the A2, and was wondering if it would be worth it to move to the Lyr 2.  I'm pretty pleased with the A2 thus far, but I'm at the "in for a penny, in for a pound" state of mind.  So if the Lyr 2 would be a better pairing with the LCD2s then I may as well go ahead.  I've searched through the thread and I've seen many people that seem happy with the A2/LCD2 combo, but the Lyr2 seems to be the preferred recommendation.... haven't found much in the way of a direct comparison between the two with the LCD2s.  Any input/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Dec 13, 2015 at 4:12 AM Post #7,034 of 13,134
Just picked up a pair of LCD-2s from the Adorama sale this week, so far, very very pleased with them! Right now I'm running them through an Asgard 2, soon to be paired with a Bifrost.  I'm still in the trial window for the A2, and was wondering if it would be worth it to move to the Lyr 2.  I'm pretty pleased with the A2 thus far, but I'm at the "in for a penny, in for a pound" state of mind.  So if the Lyr 2 would be a better pairing with the LCD2s then I may as well go ahead.  I've searched through the thread and I've seen many people that seem happy with the A2/LCD2 combo, but the Lyr2 seems to be the preferred recommendation.... haven't found much in the way of a direct comparison between the two with the LCD2s.  Any input/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Not tried the A2 but love the Lyr2.
Much more power and dispite the LCD-2 being easy to run still find myself at 50% volume (low gain)
But the real plus for me is tube rolling.
Can completely change the feel of the lyr with a different set of tubes.

[edit]
You can always go completely solid state with the Lyr 2 by fitting the Lisst "tubes"
http://schiit.com/products/lisst-tubes

Dec 13, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #7,035 of 13,134

It's just tube vs solid state. Solid state is analytical and clean. The A2 is very transparent to me and that's why I love it. The Lyr is going to have some lush tubey qualities, so if you're into that, go that route. I'm not a big fan of tubes for most of the music I listen to, but with some Fiona Apple or other stuff I dig the hell out of them. It's all about taste, really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back