Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Nov 9, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #6,766 of 13,134

You need to see an exorcist.

You in the Alberta or Sask part of Lloydminster?

With the luck I seem to have with equipment, I'm afraid if I go see an exorcist a tree is going to start attacking me.

Live in the Sask side, work on the Alberta side. Lloyd is duuuuuuuumb.

This is the first gen Lyr though, not the Lyr 2

Also, I'd be wary of blaming the amp, when LCD headphones have been known to fail frequently anyways

Not sure where the fault lies honestly. With three failures the finger is probably pointed at me and the way I'm using it, or the Amp itself. Though if the high fail rate of the LCD's are true, I'm bummed they don't have a longer warranty.

Either way, in contact with Schiit right now, and will probably end up sending in my Lyr for them to look at it. Apparently they sent out emails a while back offering to install a mute relay on early Lyr's, but I guess my account doesn't exist on the site so I don't think I ever got it. Just got back luck I guess.

Nov 9, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #6,767 of 13,134
The early Lyr did have a problem with DC bursts at power up and power down, which is what the muting relay is meant for. From what I remember, they wouldn't've been during playback, nor at dangerous levels.

Nov 10, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #6,768 of 13,134
Also got my LCD-2F recently as well running out of a Lyr 2. As for now nothing bad had happened so I hope that it stays that way.

As for the sound quality, these things are amazing. I was worried about them lacking air and dimension but honestly they are wonderful in that regard. They definitely might not have the biggest soundstage but what I hear I like. Very smooth and dynamic sound with the perfect level of impact. Not too much to make it fatiguing and not too little to make it boring. Also while the treble may be lacking sparkle, I still find it to be very transparent and detailed. Bass is superb with great extension and just the right amount of speed and decay.

All in all I am incredibly happy with my purchase which I got for a fraction of the price of the LCD-3. Honestly how much better can it get from here?

Nov 10, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #6,769 of 13,134
  The early Lyr did have a problem with DC bursts at power up and power down, which is what the muting relay is meant for. From what I remember, they wouldn't've been during playback, nor at dangerous levels.

The high-wattage power amps, and even linestage amps, often have a "soft start" power up feature that prevents these bursts from damaging speakers and other connected gear. Always mute your speakers, and have the vol dial at zero on the amp, when powering on.

Nov 10, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #6,770 of 13,134
Hey guys, I got my new lcd 2 fazors about a week ago and I'm running them with the little dot mk iii pre amp hooked up to the nursing soloist sl. The sound is pretty rock solid and is obviously a better hp than my grado 325e. I didn't think it could really best the grados, maybe just a different house sound, but it's definitely better in all aspects. The sound seems more grounded, more solid, and with better details.
And oh the midrange, it's liquid smooth and yet as detailed as I could want them to be, which I'm sure everyone has talked about forever. I honestly don't know if the midrange o the non razor lcds might be a bit much because this smoothness is just right. Then again I'm using a tube pre amp so....I did run the mk iii with some Mullard cv850 but I think the Voshkods are a bit more balanced with a slightly less tuby sound to compliment to already smooth lcds.

The only gripe I have is the treble can be a bit grainy? And not so smooth with some tracks, although I get the feeling that I might not be the hp but an issue with how the song was mastered...all that compression and what not, because on some tracks it sounds smooth as hell so idk. But yeah cheers, and I'm gonna go chillax with lcds :D

Ps. It is a heavy hp for sure but thankfully no neck issues so no complaints there :wink:

Nov 10, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #6,771 of 13,134
Hey guys, I got my new lcd 2 fazors about a week ago and I'm running them with the little dot mk iii pre amp hooked up to the nursing soloist sl. The sound is pretty rock solid and is obviously a better hp than my grado 325e. I didn't think it could really best the grados, maybe just a different house sound, but it's definitely better in all aspects. The sound seems more grounded, more solid, and with better details.
And oh the midrange, it's liquid smooth and yet as detailed as I could want them to be, which I'm sure everyone has talked about forever. I honestly don't know if the midrange o the non razor lcds might be a bit much because this smoothness is just right. Then again I'm using a tube pre amp so....I did run the mk iii with some Mullard cv850 but I think the Voshkods are a bit more balanced with a slightly less tuby sound to compliment to already smooth lcds.

The only gripe I have is the treble can be a bit grainy? And not so smooth with some tracks, although I get the feeling that I might not be the hp but an issue with how the song was mastered...all that compression and what not, because on some tracks it sounds smooth as hell so idk. But yeah cheers, and I'm gonna go chillax with lcds
biggrin.gif

Ps. It is a heavy hp for sure but thankfully no neck issues so no complaints there
wink.gif

I had the same issue with grainy treble (I would say peaky) when I tried the LCD2 fazor, That's why (and for the more extended bass) that I kept my LCD2.2 preciously.

Nov 10, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #6,772 of 13,134
  I had the same issue with grainy treble (I would say peaky) when I tried the LCD2 fazor, That's why (and for the more extended bass) that I kept my LCD2.2 preciously.

hmm i see, but i wouldn't say that its peaky...just a bit unrefined at times. I'm 70% sure its as a result of the way the track was mastered. Those tracks don't sound any better on my other Hps but given the smoothness of the lcd 2s i thought it would somewhat fix it lol.

I can see how you and many others would prefer the non fazors though...i gotta try em sometime

Nov 10, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #6,773 of 13,134
More than often sibilance is caused by the record itself, aggravated by a not-so-good DAC, power conditioning or USB filtering.

Nov 10, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #6,774 of 13,134
I did previously compare the frequency response graphs of the Fazor and older version, and Fazor gained a pretty narrow spike at 8-10KHz. Maybe this is what you guys are noticing? It never bothered me but I equalized it down a little bit anyway since it probably shouldn't be there ideally. That's the only EQ adjustment I've made, btw.

Nov 10, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #6,775 of 13,134
  I did previously compare the frequency response graphs of the Fazor and older version, and Fazor gained a pretty narrow spike at 8-10KHz. Maybe this is what you guys are noticing? It never bothered me but I equalized it down a little bit anyway since it probably shouldn't be there ideally. That's the only EQ adjustment I've made, btw.

Yep that's why I call it peaky because it's like there was peaks in the highs.
Personally I avoid using using eq because, to my ears, it just makes more harm than good. It creates post/pre ringing, distortion, ripple  and add peaks and deeps around the modified frequency.

Nov 10, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #6,776 of 13,134
  Yep that's why I call it peaky because it's like there was peaks in the highs.
Personally I avoid using using eq because, to my ears, it just makes more harm than good. It creates post/pre ringing, distortion, ripple  and add peaks and deeps around the modified frequency.

i see what you mean, and i think i more clearly see the appeal of the older models...ah well, i'll just enjoy my fazors for now but i'll be keeping an eye out for any good deals for the non fazored version 
wink.gif

Nov 11, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #6,777 of 13,134

It seems to be because they lack a relay (I think that's what you call it). I managed to figure out that's what caused it last time I had to get them repaired off of warranty, I use to always keep them plugged in when I turned them on and off. So learned my lesson and made to always keep them unplugged when turning on and off the amp, but this time I walked away with them running for a couple minutes, came back and suddenly no audio out the right side. Swapped the cables around to make sure, and audio is definitely only coming out the one side. No idea how it even happened this time, but considering this is the exact same issue I've had the last two times I'm pretty damn sure it's my Lyr.

I'm seriously close to just dumping everything into the trash and buying a $200 set of grado's. Don't have the money to keep repairing these things, especially when they where supposed to be a long term investment.

With regard to amps burning up headphones, I really think what killed a driver in my LCD-2 is the amount of noise coming out of the USB port I was using on a laptop. I left my cans plugged in all the time as well and would pause music and come back, but when I did that once I came back and the left driver was dead. When I got my cans back I did a lot of listening tests and I found that the laptop I was using for music had this noise floor that the WYRD and other things didn't fix. If you turned the volume all the way up with no music playing, it would have insane pops and hisses and horrible distortion, but you couldn't tell when music was playing at normal volume. I stopped using that computer immediately and found a desktop at work that was no longer in use. I put all my music on it and tested it the same way. Dead silent. My headphones have been sounding great and working fine ever since, but 3 months with that laptop (which was brand new, mind you) and it fried a driver.

So, if there's anything causing even a little bit of noise in the background, it might be the culprit and not the amp, although the lack of relay certainly might have been doing it before.

Nov 11, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #6,778 of 13,134
i see what you mean, and i think i more clearly see the appeal of the older models...ah well, i'll just enjoy my fazors for now but i'll be keeping an eye out for any good deals for the non fazored version :wink:
this beautiful pair I own is in the classifieds

Nov 12, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #6,779 of 13,134
I got my vegan pads today and all I can say is "holy ****" these are now the headphones I've always wanted. They are so comfortable now, it's like they lost five pounds. If the sound changed at all, it maybe is a slight addition of some "air" but where it's impossible to A/B with the glue on system Audeze has going on, it may just be expectation bias.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back