Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Jan 20, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #5,476 of 13,134
Everybody will notice the dip from 25-40 hz. That's actually a lot. Lots of music now with artificial bass going low. The fullness and weight, which actually can't be pinpointed when listening, comes from those frequencies. I switch speakers with frequency range up to 45hz while another up to 40hz and I hear lots being lost on the 45hz speakers. Moreso if comoared with up to 25hz speakers.

Speakers and headphones are completely different beasts when it comes to bass.  Loud speakers rely on room resonance and the fact our bodies perceive bass in addition to our inner ear canals.  It's really an apples to oranges comparison.  Just read the instructions included with a subwoofer as where to place it.  Room location, and changes in just a few inches from the wall or corner can make huge differences in how we hear the bass.

Jan 20, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #5,477 of 13,134
Everybody will notice the dip from 25-40 hz. That's actually a lot. Lots of music now with artificial bass going low. The fullness and weight, which actually can't be pinpointed when listening, comes from those frequencies. I switch speakers with frequency range up to 45hz while another up to 40hz and I hear lots being lost on the 45hz speakers. Moreso if comoared with up to 25hz speakers.

Most EDM producers (where super low bass is actually important and you can't find any real instrument, except maybe pipe organ, able to produce anything below 30 Hz) use high pass filters to cut everything off below 30-40 Hz to clear up the mix and remove the infra/low-frequency muddying of the signal. Makes things tighter and punchier. Anything below 30 Hz gives nothing to the signal fidelity, but adds parasitic resonances in the transducers, especially in the headphones where it's especially tricky to handle all the wave reflections and do the proper dampening, given the confined space and ears proximity (and I believe for that reason Audeze is doing the roll-off below 30Hz in its newer designs - to avoid parasitic resonance distortion in the low bass). Also human ear has really low sensitivity in that range. You would only feel some vibrations with your body if you crank the volume really high (and only possible with bass speakers where large transducer area is able to move a lot of air).

My Audeze LCD-2F rolls off gently below 30 Hz and I don't have any problem with that. I've tried compensating that -6dB dip with an EQ and it does nothing. I've also used the low pass filter DSP set to 30-40 Hz and tried listening to some of the most bass heavy tracks I have in collection and there was silence, maybe just some faint woofing echo and only when cranked the volume up to some unrealistic levels. Nothing that would add anything useful to the body of sound. In my lowest hitting tracks (dub-step and such), most LF energy is concentrated in 45-65 Hz range.

So I would say that maybe 30-35 Hz and higher is important. But anything lower than that.... not so much.

Here's a nice chart:

Jan 20, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #5,478 of 13,134
Hi guys - I'm following this thread closely and really interested in understanding frequency response graphs - at the moment I don't have a handle on what might constitute a real audible change.  

So, a question - looking at the graph that DiamondEars posted and the graph for my own LCD-2Fs - I can see some differences, and wondered if someone would be able to help interpret or explain if they are of any consequence at all.  I apologise for any incorrect use of terminology. 

here is mine:

Differences I notice on mine:

- the low-end roll off starts later and is much sharper but begins from a more neutral position

- from 50z to 500hz mine is flatter and more consistent

- the roll-off from 1khz to 4khz is smoother

- there is a wider hump from 4khz - 7khz

- between 10 and 20khz there is a higher peak but overall it is smoother. 

Now is this just normal difference between two headphones of same make and model that would make no real audible difference anyway?  

Much appreciated, 

Jeb.

Jan 20, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #5,479 of 13,134
   So, a question - looking at the graph that DiamondEars posted and the graph for my own LCD-2Fs - I can see some differences, and wondered if someone would be able to help interpret or explain if they are of any consequence at all.  I apologise for any incorrect use of terminology. 

I think some slight variations are possible as all the headphones are not the same.. Also the measurements can't be 100% consistent.
But I think some time ago (with Fazor introduction) they've tightened up the tolerances and there should be more consistency between the units.

Here's my graph. 

Jan 20, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #5,481 of 13,134
Did you guys notice that Audeze no longer sells the wood care kit?  It's not listed in the accessories page of their website: https://www.audeze.com/products/accessories

What kind of wood care product should I use (if any) for my bamboo LCD-2?  When I bought the LCD-2 in November 2014, it came with a wood care kit, but I misplaced it. 

Jan 20, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #5,482 of 13,134
  Did you guys notice that Audeze no longer sells the wood care kit?  It's not listed in the accessories page of their website: https://www.audeze.com/products/accessories

What kind of wood care product should I use (if any) for my bamboo LCD-2?  When I bought the LCD-2 in November 2014, it came with a wood care kit, but I misplaced it. 

I bought the LCD-2 bamboos new just a week or so ago and was surprised when I found no wood care kit inside even though there seems to be a space for it inside the case and its listed in the manual.  I checked with Audeze and they no longer sell them nor include them with the headphones.  They did offer to send me one if I wanted, so I think they have some surplus - so you could ask them directly if you wanted one.  

The wood on the headphones looks well preserved and treated so I'm assuming they no longer think its that important.  

Jeb.

Jan 20, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #5,485 of 13,134

Ahhh Kifl, ....could be...could be.... another sneaky attempt to get us to upgrade to the LCD-X.   I say we all polish our LCD-2s tonight.  That'll teach 'em. 

They don't need to be sneaky.  Listening to one is all it took for me to want to upgrade!  lol  That thing sells itself...

Jan 20, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #5,486 of 13,134

They don't need to be sneaky.  Listening to one is all it took for me to want to upgrade!  lol  That thing sells itself...

lol... really, that good eh?  I need to not listen to one for a while then.  

I was passing a local electronics shop this morning and popped in and listened to their headphone line-up.  There were offerings from Sony, Bose and Beats.  It really made me appreciate the Audezes.  Of course they are much more expensive than any of those I mentioned but they mostly just sounded so muffled and bass-heavy.  I had high hopes for the Beats Solo 2 after Tyll put it up on the Wall of Fame but I really didn't like it.  It's not a fair comparison.  The LCDs just make me appreciate the benefits of a more neutral headphone.  

I guess you could say I'm ruined now.  Thanks Audeze.

Jan 20, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #5,487 of 13,134

lol... really, that good eh?  I need to not listen to one for a while then.  

I was passing a local electronics shop this morning and popped in and listened to their headphone line-up.  There were offerings from Sony, Bose and Beats.  It really made me appreciate the Audezes.  Of course they are much more expensive than any of those I mentioned but they mostly just sounded so muffled and bass-heavy.  I had high hopes for the Beats Solo 2 after Tyll put it up on the Wall of Fame but I really didn't like it.  It's not a fair comparison.  The LCDs just make me appreciate the benefits of a more neutral headphone.  

I guess you could say I'm ruined now.  Thanks Audeze.

They're quite good, yes.  I think there's definitely a sound signature preference thing going on too.  I prefer the more lively sound of the X to the LCD-2f.  If you're more into the warm sound of the LCD-2.2, you might not prefer the X as much.

Either way, I suggest you stay away just in case!  lol

Jan 20, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #5,489 of 13,134

I don't think Bamboo requires any additional / special care. I still had a kit included with my Bamboo LCD-2F though...

Jan 20, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #5,490 of 13,134
I've owned my LCD-2 R2F for quite awhile now and over the past year I have started playing around with cables. I have to admit that my latest cable purchase was quite shocking. I already own a custom made Canare Star Quad cable, Norne Audio Vanquish and two stock Audeze cables but this latest purchase of the Moon Audio Silver V3 really blew me away. Not only does it bring out the highs more but it has opened up the sound, made everything more airy, detailed and even cleaned up the higher frequencies. All in all it's nearly a perfect cable for the LCD-2. I say almost perfect because I still want a silver widow (using the pure silver/gold  in it's build) and until I hear that cable I won't know if the Silver Dragon is my end all cable or not.

The silver dragon loses some of the 'deepness or thickness' from the bass but ultimately it sounds to me like it is cleaner down below in those low frequencies.

I'd like to add that I was pretty pleased with the Canare star quad cable. For the money it really is a great cable. It provides better bass (thicker) than the Silver Dragon but not by a lot. I do notice the difference though. It lacks the clairity and openess in the higher freq. range though. This I was unaware of though until listening to the LCD2 with silver dragon. The Canare cable sounded great.

Anyways I thought I'd toss this out there..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back