Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Mar 24, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #2,732 of 13,139
Hey all,

Was hovering my finger over some LCD-2s... Should I wait until innerfidelity measurements? Should I buy some used ones? What are your guys's thoughts?

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #2,733 of 13,139
  Hey all,

Was hovering my finger over some LCD-2s... Should I wait until innerfidelity measurements? Should I buy some used ones? What are your guys's thoughts?

I'm doing the same, so I'll tell you my thinking, haha. 

In the revisions, it seems to me like newer doesn't necessarily mean better. Just a new version. There's not a truly linear progression here. The earlier lines appear to be slightly darker and more bass-present, the latter revisions pushing toward a more neutral signature. For me, I'm quite all right with Rev 1 or Rev 2 used, but someone looking for a flatter sound might do well to see what the latest is like or pick up a Rev 3.

At least that's how it SEEMS so far. 

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #2,734 of 13,139

I'm doing the same, so I'll tell you my thinking, haha. 

In the revisions, it seems to me like newer doesn't necessarily mean better. Just a new version. There's not a truly linear progression here. The earlier lines appear to be slightly darker and more bass-present, the latter revisions pushing toward a more neutral signature. For me, I'm quite all right with Rev 1 or Rev 2 used, but someone looking for a flatter sound might do well to see what the latest is like or pick up a Rev 3.

At least that's how it SEEMS so far. 

I agree.. I feel in love with them at the head-fi meet in SoCal this past weekend, and I am not sure if I was listening to the rev 3...  It was at the Audeze booth so I would guess it was. Whatever it was, it convinced me to sell my HE-500s and here I am.

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #2,735 of 13,139
  I agree.. I feel in love with them at the head-fi meet in SoCal this past weekend, and I am not sure if I was listening to the rev 3...  It was at the Audeze booth so I would guess it was. Whatever it was, it convinced me to sell my HE-500s and here I am.

I was sampling a pair at HiDef Lifestyle in Harrisburg, so I haven't the foggiest if they were Rev 1, Rev 2, or Rev 3. They've probably been sitting on the wall for a while, no real way to know unless I drive back for the third time to take a look, LOL. 

I admit that's my biggest irk with these. I don't think it's cool that any headphone in the $1000 price range should have consumers concerned about buying them because there's gonna be an improved model in a few months. 

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #2,736 of 13,139

I was sampling a pair at HiDef Lifestyle in Harrisburg, so I haven't the foggiest if they were Rev 1, Rev 2, or Rev 3. They've probably been sitting on the wall for a while, no real way to know unless I drive back for the third time to take a look, LOL. 

I admit that's my biggest irk with these. I don't think it's cool that any headphone in the $1000 price range should have consumers concerned about buying them because there's gonna be an improved model in a few months. 

I agree, especially when there are those going around saying the Older Rev 2s are better 
confused.gif

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #2,737 of 13,139
  I agree, especially when there are those going around saying the Older Rev 2s are better 
confused.gif

I asked David Mahler (who's selling his Rev 1 and Rev 2) what his opinion was of them both. He asked what music I listen to. I told him mostly metal, rock, electronic and the like, and he told me that the Rev 1 probably would suit my needs better. It seems to ME that what each model has is some different tuning, not that they're upgrading the drivers or anything like that. So I could definitely imagine everyone ending up with a "favorite Rev version" in the end, which really does throw the whole thing into question.

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #2,738 of 13,139

I asked David Mahler (who's selling his Rev 1 and Rev 2) what his opinion was of them both. He asked what music I listen to. I told him mostly metal, rock, electronic and the like, and he told me that the Rev 1 probably would suit my needs better. It seems to ME that what each model has is some different tuning, not that they're upgrading the drivers or anything like that. So I could definitely imagine everyone ending up with a "favorite Rev version" in the end, which really does throw the whole thing into question.

I love acoustical and soft rock as well as vocal, so the rev 2/3 might be my cup of tea. 

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #2,741 of 13,139
  Lucky enough to have 20% off from the show, so I can get a sweet deal on rev 3s. Now I have to figure out if the rev 3s are actually different in a bad way....

Good gravy. That's a SERIOUS discount on a product like the LCD2, haha. Color me envious. 

Mar 25, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #2,744 of 13,139

Well, the fact they're doing revisions means they care bout feedback from their customers and they wanna improve it. Isn't that good as a whole? 
biggrin.gif

Remember they're a small startup that just showed up a few years ago with the LCD2 as their first real step into headphones (Note that the LCD3 does not seem to suffer the same revision problems). Not really fair if we have the same expectations for consistency and R&D on their products like the bigger companies such as Sennheiser, AKG, etc.

I for one, am glad they did revise it
redface.gif
. Based on the frequency curve on my pair and what I'm hearing... I might have one of the newer "rev. 3" models. They definitely don't sound as dark as I would have thought. In fact, much more neutral than I expected based on many of the reviews out there. Will post a comparison with HD650 later in the HD650 Appreciation Thread.

Mar 25, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #2,745 of 13,139
Well... not exactly. It's a problem because it makes you wonder why they just keep making revisions every few months instead of waiting for a while and releasing a big new model. This isn't software, people who buy Rev 1 can't upgrade to Rev 2 and Rev 3 as they come out. It kinda hurts confidence in the product to know that at any given time, if you buy a new one, it's going to be a version behind soon. It feels like they rush releases instead of holding back to make sure it's a "finished product". It leaves someone in the market for an LCD2 going "well I dunno if I wanna buy it right now, there might be a BETTER version coming soon..." It just doesn't inspire confidence in the brand.

Say what you will about companies like HiFiMan who miss deadlines, when that product lands you know it's THAT PRODUCT. You buy an HE-500 and it doesn't really matter when it was made. It's an HE-500.

It's just bad business is what I'm getting at. There shouldn't be a Rev 1/2/3/4. There shouldn't even be a Rev anything. When they come out every few months it almost feels like even when they RELEASE a version they're ALREADY saying "yeah it could have been better". Instead, they should have released the LCD2, spent all this time working their way up to what would now be Rev 4, and release THAT as a new product. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back