Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Mar 22, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #2,716 of 13,134
Interesting... seems to have the similar treble energy as mine that the others don't...

Mar 22, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #2,717 of 13,134
Here is my late model Rev 1, probably one of the last ones before they switched to the Rev 2. It doesn't sound "too warm" to me at all. Treble energy is more than enough.

scan0001_zpsd81dc9d4.jpg

Mar 22, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #2,718 of 13,134
Hi!
Story about my Audeze LCD2:
LCD- 2 first revision, with leather headband from later revisions, very good headphones for consistency and channel distortion level and is subject to the usual scatter parameters for Audeze.
Modification 100% reversible. All reset in 5 minutes. Shoot cups filled, put back the grill - and they are intact.
Actually - 2 completely different headphones in 1.
Work was carried out with headphones 1.5 months.
Cups - something exotic. Wood was marketed as "something exotic, we can not determine themselves, found in the remains of stock." With a probability of 90% - merbau (http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9C%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%B1%D0%B0%D1%83).
Damping there difficult.
1. Part native damper (as he adhered to the driver, and the idea was to make 100% reversible modes).
2. In most cup making two layer blown felt of different densities and in between the felt ring (chosen thickness and diameter and the density of a thin piece of leather).
This ring simultaneously "acoustic lens", frame leather membrane formed by the ring volume - kind of pressure compensator.
Leather membrane under these conditions, the membrane acts as a passive damping peak at about 1.5 kHz.
In general design is tricky and configured specifically for these membranes and cups.
All it took to remove resonances membrane folding with resonances volume and maximum to eliminate the influence of the reflected signal from the cups. For flat membranes large area - it's a big problem.
Based on measurements of LCD-XC - from instance to instance they is not coming out quite successfully. That low frequencies are lost, then the peaks emerge, then something else ...
The cable was replaced by the next - 1.5 meters on twisted-pair of interconnects Stinger SBT in 4 cores, connectors miniXLR / jack 6,3. Fabric braid reinforcement from branch to connectors for reliability. Branching - to heat shrinkage. Without shielding. At this length, it is not necessary. Cable generally neutral in sound, relatively stock emphasizes detail and better preserves fine detail records. Slightly improves the "scene."

Frequency response to enough standard for Audeze, with the failure of 1Khz to 10Khz:

Frequency response after modification:

Mar 22, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #2,721 of 13,134
  Hi!
Story about my Audeze LCD2:
LCD- 2 first revision, with leather headband from later revisions, very good headphones for consistency and channel distortion level and is subject to the usual scatter parameters for Audeze.
Modification 100% reversible. All reset in 5 minutes. Shoot cups filled, put back the grill - and they are intact.
Actually - 2 completely different headphones in 1.
Work was carried out with headphones 1.5 months.
Cups - something exotic. Wood was marketed as "something exotic, we can not determine themselves, found in the remains of stock." With a probability of 90% - merbau (http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9C%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%B1%D0%B0%D1%83).
Damping there difficult.
1. Part native damper (as he adhered to the driver, and the idea was to make 100% reversible modes).
2. In most cup making two layer blown felt of different densities and in between the felt ring (chosen thickness and diameter and the density of a thin piece of leather).
This ring simultaneously "acoustic lens", frame leather membrane formed by the ring volume - kind of pressure compensator.
Leather membrane under these conditions, the membrane acts as a passive damping peak at about 1.5 kHz.
In general design is tricky and configured specifically for these membranes and cups.
All it took to remove resonances membrane folding with resonances volume and maximum to eliminate the influence of the reflected signal from the cups. For flat membranes large area - it's a big problem.
Based on measurements of LCD-XC - from instance to instance they is not coming out quite successfully. That low frequencies are lost, then the peaks emerge, then something else ...
The cable was replaced by the next - 1.5 meters on twisted-pair of interconnects Stinger SBT in 4 cores, connectors miniXLR / jack 6,3. Fabric braid reinforcement from branch to connectors for reliability. Branching - to heat shrinkage. Without shielding. At this length, it is not necessary. Cable generally neutral in sound, relatively stock emphasizes detail and better preserves fine detail records. Slightly improves the "scene."

Frequency response to enough standard for Audeze, with the failure of 1Khz to 10Khz:

Frequency response after modification:

Can we take a second to acknowledge how awesome this is, at any rate?

And that's a pretty drastic FR variation.. Consider me interested.

Mar 23, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #2,723 of 13,134
I had the LCD-2 R1 and never used anything else but a Marantz integrated. Currently I'm using a Marantz SR4023 stereo receiver with a Beyer DT880 and the sound is great. Though I've heard a few decent dedicated HP amps, none has tempted me away from integrateds/receivers, and Marantz in particular are great (I've been less happy with a couple of other brands). Even their AV receivers (I also have an SR4200) have decent HP outs. Surprising? In audio received wisdom isn't always wise.

Incidentally, when you say the "headphone amp section", there is no headphone amp section in most integrateds. It's the speaker output through a resistor network.

Mar 23, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #2,724 of 13,134

Looking forward to the review!  Today I've been refreshing InnerFidelity every 10 minutes.

Sorry mate, got hung up on something, prolly Monday now. Thanks for the pageviews though. 

:)

Seriously though, I shouldn't have put a hard date and got your hopes up. INfo will be good though. You'll enjoy it.

Mar 23, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #2,727 of 13,134
  I had the LCD-2 R1 and never used anything else but a Marantz integrated. Currently I'm using a Marantz SR4023 stereo receiver with a Beyer DT880 and the sound is great. Though I've heard a few decent dedicated HP amps, none has tempted me away from integrateds/receivers, and Marantz in particular are great (I've been less happy with a couple of other brands). Even their AV receivers (I also have an SR4200) have decent HP outs. Surprising? In audio received wisdom isn't always wise.

Incidentally, when you say the "headphone amp section", there is no headphone amp section in most integrateds. It's the speaker output through a resistor network.

Ah, thanks for the info. I admit I'm pretty new to this. I've tried reading about the integrated amps online but the documentation is pretty lame. I appreciate the help.

Mar 24, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #2,730 of 13,134

The anticipation is large.

Bummer. I've got to have two more headphones shipped to me for further measurements.  Review delayed til the end of the week....gotta make some more measurements for the review to be complete.

I'll have to post something else for tomorrow....I wonder what? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back