Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Jan 5, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #10,246 of 13,140
I had 2 LCD-2 Sheduas and an LCD-2.1 and 2.2.

On my system the Shedua wasn't as good as the other two. The Sheduas had a leaner, more uneven treble while the other two were more cohesive. Micro detail was best on my 2.1 but I think my 2.2 was a poor grade LCD-2. The 2016 LCD-2's take a drier, grainier approach but give the impression of more detail due to the thinner sound. Some people confuse perceived detail with micro detail which is basically like an oversharpend TV compared to a more natural screen that has high resolution.

It really depends on what grade your 2.2 are which sadly is the risk with buying Audeze headphones you can either get a good set, a standard set or a veiled set. It's less of an issue with the 2016 drivers which are more consistent although there's still variations. I found the mids on the older models to be more natural, engaging and effortless while my 2016 drivers have a strained character to them; they don't sound as natural voices sound more distant and less engaging.

I've only have experienced with one LCD-2. I may very well be clueless in saying this; but I just don't see Audeze producing a different 2.2f driver to place into the Shedua model. Is that not kind of what you and Arttt, are suggesting? As I personally can't see the 1/2" wide wood surround, be it Shedua, bamboo, whatever, producing different tonality and experience, considering it's just a small ring as opposed to a cup. I could get on board with clear understanding considering models with different drivers; and maybe even the same driver with 100's of hours of use compared to a new set. Certainly not challenging your lesser optinion of Shedua, or Arttt's high praise of it, only chiming in as I'm love the LCD-2 and figure even the aluminum should also sound like the wooden models?

Jan 6, 2017 at 12:38 AM Post #10,247 of 13,140
to be clear, shedua is different from bamboo version i had for demo for a few weeks.

-it weight less and for that is more comfortable.
-it has more air and detail, soundstage opens up in a way that you can actually hear the room on a good acoustic record, not just hear where instruments and vocal is placed ....
-more refined
-faster
- but it has less weight to the sound, less body , its thinner and drier.  Not as bold...
-less bass, doesn't sound like a subwoofer in a room, bamboo did that...

overall sound is more balanced now , more reference but some people will miss that low end and bold warm sound presentation previous lcd2 model had...

i am not saying audeze made new drivers for shedua or that housing of shedua wood made such a dramatic sonic differences.  all thou materials effect inner acoustic of headphone cup and there for effect sound character , just as as different speaker cabinet of different wood would sound different with same drivers used...

i think its more of variety because its handmade and every pair sound different , depending on batch ..
also i think audeze made some adjustments to the sound on lcd2 2016.

comparing lcd2 bamboo rev2 and lcd2 shedua theres no doubt that those headphones have different sound.
kind of like hifiman he500 and he560, who heard those headphones will know what i mean...

Jan 6, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #10,250 of 13,140
@WayTooCrazy

thats cool, you satisfied with amount of bass on shedua ?

I think so, the Deckard pushes 1.4W into it, and depending on the track it hits fairly decent. It isn't Bass Heads headphone by any means though. I have the TH-X00 PH tho tickle the ear drums in that manner when desired.

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:36 AM Post #10,251 of 13,140
The Shedua'sdo sounds different but it's more of the 2016 drivers, bit more of a plastic timbre and leaner less liquid sounding I'd say the current models are not liquid at all but thu of measure pretty well for distortion. You can't also rule out driver variation which is pretty big. I've not seen enough measurements of the 2016 drivers to know if it's still a big problem but Audeze has always been a hit and miss. That said Mrspeakers seem to be going that route the amount of driver variations going on in the Flow is alarming. I think these larger planar drivers need time to get right I mean Mrspeakers puts out a new headphone or update almost every year! I think of Audeze really take their time, a good 3 years or more they can come up with a Stella headphone but saying that the LCD-2 is 6 years old regardless of revisions...

Hifiman also have lots of issues with variation too with their HEK , not sure about the X. This is why I generally prefer Dynamic drivers they just performs better in background clarity, more slam and reliability. Look at the Sennheiser HD800, HD600 series the driving matching is perfect. I like how quiet Oppo have been, I'm hoping they have a revised PM-1 with better technicalities, deeper bass and not messed up mid distortion like the original!

If Audeze somehow managed to fix the failure rate of the older models, have better quality control of the wood, driver matching and keep their warranty it would be the greatest headphone ever made in regards to tonality and enjoyment.

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:46 AM Post #10,252 of 13,140
I am currently assessing various gears with what has become my top trio, the LCD2, H650 and H800S. All three do so much right.

I am finding the LCD2 more able to discern the differences between gears, how some gear emphasise midbass to create a sensation of speed, some emphasise subbass to increase the bigness of sound and also a wider soundstage etc. The separation in fundamental tones is important to me and the LCD2 is very transparent here.

I find the LCD2 more transparent to the recording and gear than the HD800S. Both these are in a League above the HD650 technically...Obviously, and I don't know how anyone can say otherwise.

The HD650 is, however, more tonally balanced overall, a better match for more diverse recordings.

Jan 6, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #10,255 of 13,140
for the price its hard to beat Deckard, and matching ( witch is very important)  with audeze headphones is great.

Jan 6, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #10,256 of 13,140
  for the price its hard to beat Deckard, and matching ( witch is very important)  with audeze headphones is great.

It plays quite well with the "TH-X00 Purple Hearts" as well.

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #10,257 of 13,140
I have the LCD-2's on order from Audeze and I can't believe they're not there to fulfill my order!
confused_face(1).gif
  They're all at 2017 CES!  Unacceptable!  

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #10,258 of 13,140
  I have the LCD-2's on order from Audeze and I can't believe they're not there to fulfill my order!
confused_face(1).gif
  They're all at 2017 CES!  Unacceptable!  

It could be celebrating Three King's Day.

Jan 7, 2017 at 6:02 AM Post #10,260 of 13,140
  to be clear, shedua is different from bamboo version i had for demo for a few weeks.

-it weight less and for that is more comfortable.
-it has more air and detail, soundstage opens up in a way that you can actually hear the room on a good acoustic record, not just hear where instruments and vocal is placed ....
-more refined
-faster
- but it has less weight to the sound, less body , its thinner and drier.  Not as bold...
-less bass, doesn't sound like a subwoofer in a room, bamboo did that...

overall sound is more balanced now , more reference but some people will miss that low end and bold warm sound presentation previous lcd2 model had...

i am not saying audeze made new drivers for shedua or that housing of shedua wood made such a dramatic sonic differences.  all thou materials effect inner acoustic of headphone cup and there for effect sound character , just as as different speaker cabinet of different wood would sound different with same drivers used...

i think its more of variety because its handmade and every pair sound different , depending on batch ..
also i think audeze made some adjustments to the sound on lcd2 2016.

comparing lcd2 bamboo rev2 and lcd2 shedua theres no doubt that those headphones have different sound.
kind of like hifiman he500 and he560, who heard those headphones will know what i mean...

Thanks Arttt. While I have not tried the bamboo, I can picture what you are saying here. How I can picture this is through my specific material selection for the LCD-2. I use it for EDM genres, pop, and acoustic (I never listen to jazz or classical). I'm mainly a rock, metal, and electronica kind of fellow, and I use a Denon d5000 or the TH900mkII for THAT material, and seldom select the LCD-2 for rock as I find it not as...meaty, bold, or thin as you described. I felt this was a characteristic of the LCD-2 in general, with it's reputation of being a laid back, lush, and bass loving can (and of course understanding Denon/Fostex being totally in your face \m/ and also angelic.

What is interesting though, is I find the Shedua very smooth, I can crank the hell out of it, it never becomes fatiguing, and the bass and sub bass, can reach as low, punch, and have as much impact as the TH900, depending on the material you throw at it; which is why I select it for EDM and pop. (kind of opposite of some who select the LCD-2 for rock and TH900 for EDM). I'm a full on bass head and speaker guy, who has steered away from headphones for years, as I was concerned I would spend money and never be satisfied with cans. That has greatly changed through my experience with the LCD-2 and the TH900. For those who venture into basshead territory, these two can are completely satisfying! And they both are quite capable of so much more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back