Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Jan 15, 2016 at 4:54 AM Post #7,261 of 13,139
I currently have Grado RS2e headphones and previously had senn hd650 and still have hd 598. I've seen some used lcd2's on the forum for really good prices and I am still within the return policy on my grado's and I'm wondering if I should return them and upgade to a used lcd2? Anyone here upgraded to the lcd2 from a high end grado or senn hd650? Or can anyone compare? I like dynamic headphones with great clarity and low distortion, wide soundstage and forward vocals.

Jan 15, 2016 at 5:16 AM Post #7,262 of 13,139
I currently have Grado RS2e headphones and previously had senn hd650 and still have hd 598. I've seen some used l[COLOR=111111]cd2's on the forum for really good prices and I am still within the return policy on my grado's and I'm wondering if I should return them and upgade to a used lcd2? Anyone here upgraded to the lcd2 from a high end grado or senn hd650? Or can anyone compare? I like dynamic headphones with great clarity and low distortion, wide soundstage and forward vocals.[/COLOR]

If you own the 650 the LCD-2 is a side grade.

Jan 15, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #7,264 of 13,139
Sound stage is nonexistent tbh. Female vocals would suck while male vocals would be forward is my guess since the LCD-2 is a dark can

Jan 15, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #7,265 of 13,139
  I currently have Grado RS2e headphones and previously had senn hd650 and still have hd 598. I've seen some used lcd2's on the forum for really good prices and I am still within the return policy on my grado's and I'm wondering if I should return them and upgade to a used lcd2? Anyone here upgraded to the lcd2 from a high end grado or senn hd650? Or can anyone compare? I like dynamic headphones with great clarity and low distortion, wide soundstage and forward vocals.

I have a Grado SR325is and a Fazor LCD-2. The Grado I have isn't really the high end one, but I understand the sound signature. I think the LCD-2 has a much bigger soundstage and silky texture with deep bass. The upgraded cable I have increased clarity for me, but it's still decent with the stock cable. I think the Grado has much better bite to it. Vocals are much more forward on them than on the LCD-2, so you would lose that, but gain in everything else.

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #7,267 of 13,139
I currently have Grado RS2e headphones and previously had senn hd650 and still have hd 598. I've seen some used l[COLOR=111111]cd2's on the forum for really good prices and I am still within the return policy on my grado's and I'm wondering if I should return them and upgade to a used lcd2? Anyone here upgraded to the lcd2 from a high end grado or senn hd650? Or can anyone compare? I like dynamic headphones with great clarity and low distortion, wide soundstage and forward vocals.[/COLOR]

If you like the presentation of your hd650, good chance you may very well enjoy the LCD2. It was a clear upgrade for myself from the 650, but there are trade off in comfort, weight and treble emphasis. To my ears the LCD2 has greater clarity across the board, more detail, lower distortion, more extended highs and lows, and still maintains a good sense of soundstage that is not overly exaggerated.

The 650 is awesome. If you can get an lcd2 on the cheap - try it out for a while. Also, sounds like many here have their preferences on version. The classic prefazors I have listened to for both lcd2 and lcd3 were great. But there are also fans of the fazor versions.

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #7,268 of 13,139
If you own the 650 the LCD-2 is a side grade.

Um, no. Bass and highs are better, mids pretty much of same quality. My HD650's got their arse handed to them by rev.1's. I think LCD's even have better sound-staging. Resolution is better too. HD650 is lighter on the head, but the Audeze's clamp less - and with the newer pads they are very comfy.

I like natural sounding instruments and rock-oriented music. LCD's do fast n' snappy bass just great and bring a more life-like presentation of a drum-set etc. imo. And if LCD-2 is dark, HD600/650 are even darker... Especially in the last octaves. Maybe I just like it that way, because I like the highs of all three.

Maybe there's this crazy tube-amp for thousands of dollars that would turn the tables, but I doubt it. I use Lyr 2 and Apogee Duet DAC. For me, LCD-2 is an outstanding upgrade if one fancies the HD6xx-series - and doesn't have a weak neck! 
beyersmile.png

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #7,269 of 13,139
So far after a few hours of listening, the only thing I feel I'm missing from my hd650 is the vocals. Female vocals don't seem to be as prominent as they are on the hd650.

More impressions on the way after more listening.

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #7,271 of 13,139

What. Have you owned either?

I have to agree with him. The LCD2 is a sidegrade from the HD650. I've been listening to the 650 for the last 4 years or so, direct from my macbook pro (I know, big head-fi sin to go unamped). I recently auditioned the LCD2 in a shop that's running them off a $4500 MacIntosh amp. Frankly it didn't impress me. It sounded nice, it just wasn't engaging. Nothing about it took me to that place of awe. If I'm spending that much money, without even considering the money for the amp, I want to feel at awe with the experience. I wasn't. The LCD3 was a different experience. The sound just felt bigger and more open. That is a headphone worth owning for those who can afford it.

But to answer Michael's question about Audeze vs. Grado: "I like dynamic headphones with great clarity and low distortion, wide soundstage and forward vocals."

I recently picked up a pair of GH1's with the G-pads, on the advice of the Grado fan club thread participants. It did not disappoint. I've heard both the RS1e and the RS2e. If you're not happy with the RS2e's soundstage, the GH1 will not disappoint. The G-pads will increase your enjoyment even more. I'm listening to them as we speak. They literally have blown my mind. I'm listening to a live recording of The Who on vinyl. It's the best it's ever sounded to my ears. If I was you I'd return the RS2e for the GH1 with G-pad. The $200 couldn't be better spent. Audeze's are good and I'd like to own a pair at some time in the future, but for right now I couldn't be happier than I am with the GH1. 

Jan 15, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #7,273 of 13,139
What. Have you owned either?

This a serious question? Why would I comment on something I've never owned? Yes of course I've owned both. I liked the sub bass better on the Audeze but that's about it. Micro detail, resolution, vocal accuracy, tone, coherency all went to the 650 for me. LCD-2 from the Lyr 2 and Chord Mojo and also many other amps ranging from 500-1000. 650 with the Bottlehead Crack, Lyr and Eddie Current BA won it out for me. I thought the 650 and LCD-2 are comparable with the 650 doing most things slightly better but the Sub bass, bass extension and texture was better on the LCD-2. The LCD-2 is a little drier to my ears

Jan 15, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #7,274 of 13,139
This a serious question? Why would I comment on something I've never owned? Yes of course I've owned both. I liked the sub bass better on the Audeze but that's about it. Micro detail, resolution, vocal accuracy, tone, coherency all went to the 650 for me. LCD-2 from the Lyr 2 and Chord Mojo and also many other amps ranging from 500-1000. 650 with the Bottlehead Crack, Lyr and Eddie Current BA won it out for me. I thought the 650 and LCD-2 are comparable with the 650 doing most things slightly better but the Sub bass, bass extension and texture was better on the LCD-2. The LCD-2 is a little drier to my ears

Coo, just wanted to know.

Your answer was so blunt, I had to ask.

A lot of people give impression of things that they never owned.

Jan 15, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #7,275 of 13,139

I have to agree with him. The LCD2 is a sidegrade from the HD650. I've been listening to the 650 for the last 4 years or so, direct from my macbook pro (I know, big head-fi sin to go unamped). I recently auditioned the LCD2 in a shop that's running them off a $4500 MacIntosh amp. Frankly it didn't impress me. It sounded nice, it just wasn't engaging. Nothing about it took me to that place of awe. If I'm spending that much money, without even considering the money for the amp, I want to feel at awe with the experience. I wasn't. The LCD3 was a different experience. The sound just felt bigger and more open. That is a headphone worth owning for those who can afford it.

But to answer Michael's question about Audeze vs. Grado: "I like dynamic headphones with great clarity and low distortion, wide soundstage and forward vocals."

I recently picked up a pair of GH1's with the G-pads, on the advice of the Grado fan club thread participants. It did not disappoint. I've heard both the RS1e and the RS2e. If you're not happy with the RS2e's soundstage, the GH1 will not disappoint. The G-pads will increase your enjoyment even more. I'm listening to them as we speak. They literally have blown my mind. I'm listening to a live recording of The Who on vinyl. It's the best it's ever sounded to my ears. If I was you I'd return the RS2e for the GH1 with G-pad. The $200 couldn't be better spent. Audeze's are good and I'd like to own a pair at some time in the future, but for right now I couldn't be happier than I am with the GH1. 

My own experience is completely different - my LCD2 does place me right there in the performance, it does bring the soul of the music over, to that place of awe.
(right now: David Bowie: Sue, from the Blackstar album.)

The LCD-2 sure doesn't make think of the headstage at all, in fact it doesn't make me think of the headphone at all - but if the music calls my attention to some instrument, it is not hard to focus on it.

( I have heard but not owned a HD650, but already the LCD-1, despite the headset quality, was a substantial upgrade from the lower-tier HD580.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back