Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Oct 27, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #661 of 13,134
Soundstage may not be necessarily better but it can reflect the spaciousness in the recording if it's there.  It's probably the difference in presentation that makes it seem more capable to me on live recordings, regardless of whether or not it actually is.

But like they said above, I think the main issue is your source.  There's a noticeable difference in sound quality and soundstage when I switch from my ipod classic and macbook.  The macbook is better all around.  And I think part of the reason the W5000 doesn't suffer from the same problem in soundstage as the LCD2 is possibly due to the bass.  Bassy sound signatures tend to take away from the sense of soundstage and air, but probably not always, depending on how that balance is made.  If I remember correctly, the W5000 doesn't have loads of bass or sub bass like LCD2.    

Oct 27, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #662 of 13,134
Quote:
Soundstage may not be necessarily better but it can reflect the spaciousness in the recording if it's there.  It's probably the difference in presentation that makes it seem more capable to me on live recordings, regardless of whether or not it actually is.

But like they said above, I think the main issue is your source.  There's a noticeable difference in sound quality and soundstage when I switch from my ipod classic and macbook.  The macbook is better all around.  And I think part of the reason the W5000 doesn't suffer from the same problem in soundstage as the LCD2 is possibly due to the bass.  Bassy sound signatures tend to take away from the sense of soundstage and air, but probably not always, depending on how that balance is made.  If I remember correctly, the W5000 doesn't have loads of bass or sub bass like LCD2.    

3rdear, thanks for writing this comparison to W5000. The thing with the bass sounds logical and quite convincing.

I would like to buy a DAC as soon as possible. I am only considering which one?
Should I look for a "special" DAC with a large soundstage or just go for Bifrost that will complement my Lyr?

Then my transport would be PC laptop, going (Kernel Streaming or Wasapi) to JKSPDIF Mk3 converter to Bifrost DAC.
Do you think it would be good enough source for LCD2 or I should consider another DAC or more expensive one (my budget is max $750, but only if it gives me a significant sound improvement over Bifrost)?

Thank you!

Oct 27, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #663 of 13,134
If you went with Gungnir as your DAC, you'd see a pretty significant jump in performance
and overall value. But are you considering tube rolling at all? If so, then that's something
else you may want to think about, unless you've got the tube budget separate already.

Oct 27, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #664 of 13,134
Quote:
If you went with Gungnir as your DAC, you'd see a pretty significant jump in performance
and overall value. But are you considering tube rolling at all? If so, then that's something
else you may want to think about, unless you've got the tube budget separate already.

Other tubes for Lyr? Yes, I would consider it, but wouldn't like to spend too much. Is there any interesting option here?

Oct 27, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #665 of 13,134
^^The Gungnir is a good choice.  I've heard mostly good things about it from critical listeners and it would keep one from having to upgrade in the future.  I'm not sure how well the Lyr would keep up with it though.

Oct 27, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #666 of 13,134
Quote:
Other tubes for Lyr? Yes, I would consider it, but wouldn't like to spend too much. Is there any interesting option here?

Tubes? Depends. Some of us spent upwards of $3k with Lyr. I generally think if you are willing to spend $120 you'd be in good shape
to get one of the top tubes for Lyr. A general base price of $80 would open up other very good options.
Personally, I think tube rolling is a must, but you don't have to empty your wallet out on tubes (if ya don't want to)

The Lyr tube rolling thread is obviously a great place for info. 

Short list: Popular and affordable or maybe not, I don't know your set budget.
RCA black plates and clear tops
Stock GE's
Bugle Boys
Nationals
Gold LIons
Lorenz SEL
Tungsram

and many more.

Just remember to stay within the tube variants as to not "blow" up your Lyr.
The 7volt Lorenz are fine though for example.

Oct 27, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #667 of 13,134
Quote:
^^The Gungnir is a good choice.  I've heard mostly good things about it from critical listeners and it would keep one from having to upgrade in the future.  I'm not sure how well the Lyr would keep up with it though.

The Lyr should keep up with Gungnir fine. Bifrost and Gungnir share a similar tone. The Gungnir just tops it in every way

Oct 27, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #668 of 13,134
Quote:
Tubes? Depends. Some of us spent upwards of $3k with Lyr. I generally think if you are willing to spend $120 you'd be in good shape
to get one of the top tubes for Lyr. A general base price of $80 would open up other very good options.
Personally, I think tube rolling is a must, but you don't have to empty your wallet out on tubes (if ya don't want to)

The Lyr tube rolling thread is obviously a great place for info. 

Short list: Popular and affordable or maybe not, I don't know your set budget.
RCA black plates and clear tops
Stock GE's
Bugle Boys
Nationals
Gold LIons
Lorenz SEL
Tungsram

and many more.

Just remember to stay within the tube variants as to not "blow" up your Lyr.
The 7volt Lorenz are fine though for example.

Thank you for the short list. The tube rolling thread is very loooong.
At the moment I have stock JJs. I've already ordered stock GE's that are supposed to sound better with LCD2.
In the future, I might go for some of the tubes you've mentioned. Probably will have to get into the tube rolling thread anyway.

Oct 27, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #669 of 13,134
Quote:

At the moment I have stock JJs. I've already ordered stock GE's that are supposed to sound better with LCD2.
In the future, I might go for some of the tubes you've mentioned. Probably will have to get into the tube rolling thread anyway.

No problem. It is, but it's also a really great thread. Compare the JJ and GE tubes and go from there. 

Oct 27, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #670 of 13,134
Quote:
The Lyr should keep up with Gungnir fine. Bifrost and Gungnir share a similar tone. The Gungnir just tops it in every way

Hmmm...I'd rather pay less (Bifrost) than more for a DAC, especially as my experience with them showed me that big differences between DACs should not be expected. I am sure Gungnir is better sounding than Bifrost, but wondering if it's worth the money. Is it just something like 20% improvement for twice the price or more. I know it's all relative, but just to get an idea.

Oct 27, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #671 of 13,134
Quote:
Hmmm...I'd rather pay less (Bifrost) than more for a DAC, especially as my experience with them showed me that big differences between DACs should not be expected. I am sure Gungnir is better sounding than Bifrost, but wondering if it's worth the money. Is it just something like 20% improvement for twice the price or more. I know it's all relative, but just to get an idea.

You set your price ceiling at $750 and I went for it. You're completely right though, double the money, but not double the performance,
as with well, everything in this hobby you encounter diminished returns fast, IMO.

So Bifrost would be a fine choice, I would maybe even consider the ODAC, though I'm not completely sure what kind of jive that 
would have with Lyr. It's a good value nonetheless.

Oct 30, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #673 of 13,134
Quote:

Be careful jumping into tube rolling. I believe many here would agree that they have acquired a great many tubes early on only to find the true gems later. Those dollars for inferior tubes add up.  If you can land a pair of holland amperex 7308's for the lyr you will never look back. They are easily the best match for the amp and the LCD2's that I have tried, and I've tried a few. Don't forget these tubes will last a very, very long time.

Oct 30, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #674 of 13,134
Quote:

Be careful jumping into tube rolling. I believe many here would agree that they have acquired a great many tubes early on only to find the true gems later. Those dollars for inferior tubes add up.  If you can land a pair of holland amperex 7308's for the lyr you will never look back. They are easily the best match for the amp and the LCD2's that I have tried, and I've tried a few. Don't forget these tubes will last a very, very long time.

Thanks for the words of caution.
By thw way, what would a fair price for a pair of holland amperex 7308's be?

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #675 of 13,134
You may not want to know. Prices for 6922 varieties have skyrocketed in the past few years to absurd levels for some reason. Check out Brent Jessee's site for a good run through on what to look for in a tube. (audiotubes.com)

Just trust your ears and don't let others influence your taste of what sounds right for you... he says after telling you what sounds right for him.  hehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back