Audeze LCD-2 driver failures
Sep 21, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #46 of 67
Just to note, Audeze are now charging $450 plus postage to fix a failed driver.

When I pointed out that this prohibitively expensive, particularly when the unreliability of their drivers really amounts to a design flaw, they replied that they prioritise performance over reliability.

This is not very helpful, given that my headphones aren't performing at all any more. :rolling_eyes:

Sep 21, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #47 of 67

When I pointed out that this prohibitively expensive, particularly when the unreliability of their drivers really amounts to a design flaw, they replied that they prioritise performance over reliability.

This is not very helpful, given that my headphones aren't performing at all any more. :rolling_eyes:

Wow! They should post this choice on their website. I think it could change their business model :wink:

May 7, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #48 of 67
Finally it happened to my pair of 2014 LCD-2.
Emailed Audeze customer service and quoted $480 for Fazor drivers replacement and new pads.
For now, I’ll just take this chance to enjoy my other headphones.

Oct 27, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #49 of 67
I have a pair of LCD2 pre-fazor, not sure the exact purchase date (I bought them in 2018 off eBay).

Anyone have any idea is both drivers being very silent (can only hear them when I crank the volume) is a symptom of driver damage? I've checked the cable with a multimeter and tested the amp.

I've emailed their support but I can't find my SN (I've misplaced the original headband and it didn't come with the box). They're way out of warranty either way, is there anything inside the cups I could check?

Nov 30, 2021 at 12:17 AM Post #50 of 67
I have a pair of LCD2 pre-fazor, not sure the exact purchase date (I bought them in 2018 off eBay).

Anyone have any idea is both drivers being very silent (can only hear them when I crank the volume) is a symptom of driver damage? I've checked the cable with a multimeter and tested the amp.

I've emailed their support but I can't find my SN (I've misplaced the original headband and it didn't come with the box). They're way out of warranty either way, is there anything inside the cups I could check?
When I got my drivers changed I got new ear pads which I fitted. Whilst changing the ear pads I saw that each driver had its serial number printed on a sticker at the side of the front face. You should be able to get all the relevant information about your headphones by sending Audez’e those numbers, although if I remember correctly the adhesive isn’t the type where you can just press the pads back on and have them stick securely, so you’ll either need new pads to stick on, or an alternative method of sticking them back on which isn’t permanent since they do need replacing periodically and different people prefer different types of pads.

Mine are quite early LCD2’s, referred to as “LCD2.1”; the very first modification Audez’e made to the design of the original LCD2. When they failed it was just the left driver which suddenly made no sound whatsoever.

The issue is with the drivers rather than the headphone itself, and since both drivers are wired independently of each other, it’s highly unlikely that they will both go at the same time. They may both fail but they will do so at significantly different times - months or years apart. But you say yours still produce sound so I don’t think it’s a driver issue.

What sort of amplifier do you use and did the headphones work as expected when you bought them? Is this a problem that’s been gradually developing or was there a sudden change? Or are you just getting round to tackling it? When mine failed it was a case where they worked perfectly one day and the next time I put them on the left driver was dead. They then sat in their box for a couple of years before I got round to finding someone in the UK (where I live) who had, and could fit a pair of matched, working drivers!

Forgive me if I’m stating the obvious here but these headphones do require a lot of power. If you’re trying to power them directly from a phone or most dap’s, or the headphone socket on a music system or receiver, you’re not going to get much in the way of volume unless you do crank it right up. They’re not quite as demanding as some other planar-magnetic headphones (HiFiMAN HE6 is the example usually given as one of the hardest), but still it’s not unheard-of for people to use speaker amps to drive Audez’e headphones - and I don’t mean from the headphone socket, I mean wired to the speaker terminals!

Fortunately there is now a good variety of headphone amps capable of driving your LCD-2’s perfectly well, and very few people still use speaker amps. I’ve been away from the Head-Fi forums for a while now, focusing all my attention on my speakers system, but I can thoroughly recommend the iFI micro iDSD which you can pick up for a very reasonable price second hand in the Classifieds section of Head-Fi. I have both the original (silver colour) and the Black Label version (same shape, connections and functions but anodised black with upgraded components inside). I’ve had both since they first came out and I have no plans to part with either - they’re like good Swiss Army knifes; bombproof, last forever, and just too darn useful to let go of! If I’m taking headphones with me, chances are I’ll take the micro iDSD. I have an AURALiC Taurus MkII at home which is even more powerful, sounds incredible, and is 3-4 times the retail price, yet I was using the iFi earlier this evening at home with my LCD-2 and often do - with all my headphones - for practical reasons!

Sorry, you asked about possible problems with your headphones and here I am acting like a full-on headphone amp salesman for iFi! They are a bit bulky and there are better sounding amps, but it depends how much you’re prepared to pay. The sheer array of connections and functions at that price makes a second hand micro iDSD (original or BL) a no-brainer to recommend as a first / test amp for properly driving the LCD-2. Hopefully others can make more up-to-date suggestions because it sounds to me like you’re just lacking the necessary horsepower. An iFi micro iDSD will provide that (and a good DAC, preamp, and powerbank) at minimal cost -and if you want to you’ll be able to sell it with little or no loss.

Apologies for rambling on, I hope there’s something helpful in my post!

Nov 30, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #51 of 67
When I got my drivers changed I got new ear pads which I fitted. Whilst changing the ear pads I saw that each driver had its serial number printed on a sticker at the side of the front face. You should be able to get all the relevant information about your headphones by sending Audez’e those numbers, although if I remember correctly the adhesive isn’t the type where you can just press the pads back on and have them stick securely, so you’ll either need new pads to stick on, or an alternative method of sticking them back on which isn’t permanent since they do need replacing periodically and different people prefer different types of pads.

Mine are quite early LCD2’s, referred to as “LCD2.1”; the very first modification Audez’e made to the design of the original LCD2. When they failed it was just the left driver which suddenly made no sound whatsoever.

Thanks for the reply!

The earpads fell off on their own due to the age and I was in the process of looking for a new pair of earpads (just used some double-sided tape to hold them on for now). I'll go check that tonight.

It's quite possible they're LCD2.1s, the seller had them labelled as "pre-fazor". The writing on the cups match what I see for LCD2.1s (it looks like they changed it for LCD2.2s). Attached a picture.

The issue is with the drivers rather than the headphone itself, and since both drivers are wired independently of each other, it’s highly unlikely that they will both go at the same time. They may both fail but they will do so at significantly different times - months or years apart. But you say yours still produce sound so I don’t think it’s a driver issue.

Yeah, they both have some sound when turned way off. I was looking for some confirmation about them both failing at the same time being rare, thanks for that.

I did find a cheap cable during the Aliexpress sale to test it with just in case (didn't want to fork over ~$80+ for a cable just for test purposes) so in a month or two I can make sure that's not the issue.

What sort of amplifier do you use and did the headphones work as expected when you bought them? Is this a problem that’s been gradually developing or was there a sudden change? Or are you just getting round to tackling it? When mine failed it was a case where they worked perfectly one day and the next time I put them on the left driver was dead. They then sat in their box for a couple of years before I got round to finding someone in the UK (where I live) who had, and could fit a pair of matched, working drivers!

It was a sudden change unfortunately, went to use them and there wasn't any sound except if I turned the amp way up.

I'm using a Topping A50s with a Topping E30 (was going to go E30/L30 but Amazon had no stock). I also tested with Xduoo MT-602. Both worked with them before.

I tried a different pair of headphones with both amps to confirm it's not on that end.

Forgive me if I’m stating the obvious here but these headphones do require a lot of power. If you’re trying to power them directly from a phone or most dap’s, or the headphone socket on a music system or receiver, you’re not going to get much in the way of volume unless you do crank it right up. They’re not quite as demanding as some other planar-magnetic headphones (HiFiMAN HE6 is the example usually given as one of the hardest), but still it’s not unheard-of for people to use speaker amps to drive Audez’e headphones - and I don’t mean from the headphone socket, I mean wired to the speaker terminals!

Fortunately there is now a good variety of headphone amps capable of driving your LCD-2’s perfectly well, and very few people still use speaker amps. I’ve been away from the Head-Fi forums for a while now, focusing all my attention on my speakers system, but I can thoroughly recommend the iFI micro iDSD which you can pick up for a very reasonable price second hand in the Classifieds section of Head-Fi. I have both the original (silver colour) and the Black Label version (same shape, connections and functions but anodised black with upgraded components inside). I’ve had both since they first came out and I have no plans to part with either - they’re like good Swiss Army knifes; bombproof, last forever, and just too darn useful to let go of! If I’m taking headphones with me, chances are I’ll take the micro iDSD. I have an AURALiC Taurus MkII at home which is even more powerful, sounds incredible, and is 3-4 times the retail price, yet I was using the iFi earlier this evening at home with my LCD-2 and often do - with all my headphones - for practical reasons!

Sorry, you asked about possible problems with your headphones and here I am acting like a full-on headphone amp salesman for iFi! They are a bit bulky and there are better sounding amps, but it depends how much you’re prepared to pay. The sheer array of connections and functions at that price makes a second hand micro iDSD (original or BL) a no-brainer to recommend as a first / test amp for properly driving the LCD-2. Hopefully others can make more up-to-date suggestions because it sounds to me like you’re just lacking the necessary horsepower. An iFi micro iDSD will provide that (and a good DAC, preamp, and powerbank) at minimal cost -and if you want to you’ll be able to sell it with little or no loss.

Apologies for rambling on, I hope there’s something helpful in my post!

You should be a salesman for iFi, makes me want to pick one up LOL (unfortunately Christmas is currently killing my wallet).

Thanks for all the information.

Attachments

• headphone.png
    headphone.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Nov 30, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #52 of 67
Thanks for the reply!

The earpads fell off on their own due to the age and I was in the process of looking for a new pair of earpads (just used some double-sided tape to hold them on for now). I'll go check that tonight.

It's quite possible they're LCD2.1s, the seller had them labelled as "pre-fazor". The writing on the cups match what I see for LCD2.1s (it looks like they changed it for LCD2.2s). Attached a picture.

Yeah, they both have some sound when turned way off. I was looking for some confirmation about them both failing at the same time being rare, thanks for that.

I did find a cheap cable during the Aliexpress sale to test it with just in case (didn't want to fork over ~$80+ for a cable just for test purposes) so in a month or two I can make sure that's not the issue.

It was a sudden change unfortunately, went to use them and there wasn't any sound except if I turned the amp way up.

I'm using a Topping A50s with a Topping E30 (was going to go E30/L30 but Amazon had no stock). I also tested with Xduoo MT-602. Both worked with them before.

I tried a different pair of headphones with both amps to confirm it's not on that end.

You should be a salesman for iFi, makes me want to pick one up LOL (unfortunately Christmas is currently killing my wallet).

Thanks for all the information.
Haha, I actually used to work in sales and then retail management (climbing and outdoor equipment) but thought I’d finally let go of my sales and marketing side as it’s been quite a long time… well, in these uncertain times I guess it’s good to know I still have that skill set in case I need to make use of it again!

Those headphones look very much like my LCD2.1 - practically identical in fact! No point even posting a photo, it would just have a different hand and background!

Looks like you’ve done all the tests I can think of so I’m afraid I’m as stumped as you.

Obviously it’s possible for both drivers to fail at the same time… the probability is clearly very small -but not zero- so I guess eventually someone was going to experience it!

If failed drivers do still produce extremely low volume sound I would not have been aware as the right side driver remained fully functioning when I experienced the failure. I swapped cables but didn’t test the drivers individually, ie with one side plugged in at a time, which I really should have done in hindsight.

I hope someone else can chime in and give you a definitive answer because I lack the technical knowledge to be of any more help. Sorry.

If I had to guess I’d say it looks likely that both drivers have failed simultaneously, and that failed drivers do still make some sound, if only when driven hard, but I could be wrong.

Best wishes in your search for answers and a fix.

Mar 28, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #53 of 67
My 2014 LCD-2 left driver went dead on me today. I tried using another cable just to make sure. As others have noted, Audeze says it'll be $480 to fix 'em up with new drivers. I don't think I can justify such a huge repair cost just to get another pair that might fail again.

Mar 29, 2022 at 12:33 AM Post #54 of 67
Try to disconnect the working driver and just having the broken driver connected to the amp and then turn the volume way up and play short bursts of music for a few seconds at a time. My LCD-3 driver where dead and that brought it (although temporary) back to life.

Mar 29, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #55 of 67

Wow that's 100% increase from their prior pricing.

Mar 30, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #56 of 67
Well, these are some horror stories right there. Any info on how common are these driver issues?

I kinda always assumed that headphones should be good for 10-20 years, excluding cables or misuse.

Apr 27, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #57 of 67
Well, these are some horror stories right there. Any info on how common are these driver issues?

I kinda always assumed that headphones should be good for 10-20 years, excluding cables or misuse.
I had the left driver fail after a few years. Sorry I can’t remember how long, but certainly not more than 5 years. I got a new pair of drivers fitted which lasted 14 months before the right one failed. I’m currently trying to get it fixed but will promptly sell them this time.

On both occasions they failed in the same way: Zero abuse or warning. I just put them down one night and when I put them on the next day the driver was dead.

Apr 28, 2022 at 7:37 AM Post #58 of 67
My 2014 LCD-2 left driver went dead on me today. I tried using another cable just to make sure. As others have noted, Audeze says it'll be $480 to fix 'em up with new drivers. I don't think I can justify such a huge repair cost just to get another pair that might fail again.
you also get 3 years of warranty, I suggest using a credit card that also adds a warranty to purchase most of mine are 2-3 years I know there are free ones.... Used them for my LCD-3 and LCD-4 purchase so I have 5+ years fo warranty

In the planar world? No not really this is about normal, as for 10-20 years..... well I think it's been around 10 years that there have even been great affordable Planar headphones from most manufacturers (of course there is fostex and such and fringe cases so I said MOST, which have made totally different tech).... god knows Electrostat aren't more durable and I doubt AMT are, I mean I will be called a shill but #1 factor in the age of the technology being actual consumer tech (don't talk to me about speakers/magnepan speakers I mean consumer affordable headpohones) there probably isn't a huge discrepancy in the reliable vs dynamic drivers, but Dynamics in headphones have a much larger time and yes durability advantage as well as practically speaking an advantage on the inherent technology to resist drops and such, not sure about just time and usage.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2022 at 3:41 AM Post #59 of 67
Honestly, this is a bit concerning. Of course, wear and tear will happen to headphones and 10 years is probably a stretch, but hearing that driver fails by itself is not good news. Thinking about it, I just don't see how a planar magnetic driver by itself would fail, it's probably joint or cable failure. I would love to get some more info about this and possible prevention tips.

Apr 29, 2022 at 7:08 AM Post #60 of 67
That is the disadvantage of the planar driver, it often does not announce itself.
The drivers simply fail.
That's what Audeze once told me: either they work or they fail directly.

Only Audeze knows what the reason is.
I still think that the complaint rate is low at Audeze and they probably have it better under control than Hifiman.

Whether it is worth it depends on where you live.
For me, it would probably be cheaper to buy a new one in Europe as long as we are only talking about a Classic.
With a Lcd 3,4,5, $500 would be a bargain, but I'd check out the customs situation first.
In some countries, these things don't always go smoothly.

On the other hand, if you decide to send it in, you will also get the latest driver update.
Where certain production processes have also been eliminated.
You should think that far ahead, and Audeze is responsible for that.
The disadvantage is that the Prefazor models are no longer Prefazor but the latest version.
Unfortunately, this is the price you have to pay.

If you don't want to take a risk, go for the Zmf, which offers a lifetime guarantee on the driver, provided it has not been deliberately destroyed.

Inside the Audeze recommends not to open it.
Take a look at the pictures on the net, just for information, there is not much inside except the driver with 2 cables.
The most you can do is check if any cables have come loose from the plug or driver and solder them back on.
But that's all you can do.
For repairs, also look at Generealvertrung, which also offers repairs where you don't have to send it in via the USA.
In Germany, Cma Audio does repairs which would be more suitable for Europeans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back