Audeze LCD-2 driver failures
Dec 20, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #18 of 67
The left driver on my LCD-2 also failed after five months. I sent it off to Audeze they took almost a month to repair and when they came back they would make crackling sound when you touched them. Spoke to Audeze they agreed to replace them a new pair. Sound wise they are without a doubt some of the best headphones i have ever heard... Unfortunately they do seem to be having some QC issues. I am hoping that my new pair will fare a bit better then my first pair because I really like and I really want a company like Audeze to succeed.

Jan 10, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #19 of 67
It looks like I've just joined the LCD-2 driver-failure club too! My left driver packed in last night.

I have kept the original cable after upgrading so it was still in perfect condition and when I swapped back to that, the left side was still silent. I tried different headphones (Beyerdynamic DT770 Manufaktur) from the same signal chain and they worked fine. So it's either the left driver or some kind of dodgy connection in the left ear-piece. Reading this thread I guess it's the driver! Time to contact Audeze - although I seriously doubt whether my first gen LCD-2's still have any kind of warranty cover!

Feb 21, 2016 at 7:52 AM Post #23 of 67
I've exchanged some emails with "Kim" at Audeze and have got some info which could be useful to quite a few folks, although it might not all be specifically "on-topic". Anyway, I figured that it is relevant so I'll share it:

The price given by Audeze for repairing my faulty driver was $250 USD - same as Ampeezy 
beerchug.gif
 So for anyone with a faulty LCD-2 driver, and out of warranty, start saving up for a minimum of $250 USD - plus shipping, etc.!

I asked about the "vegan" ear-pads and Audeze quoted $120 USD for the Brown leather-free pads, and $80 for the black version... 
confused_face_2.gif

I've always wanted an Audeze Travel Case (my LCD-2 v.1 arrived in the wood display case) so I figured it would be a wise investment at this point for their journey back across the pond! The price quoted for the travel case was $125 USD

By the way, I also asked Audeze a spectacularly stupid question: "What would be the cost of replacing both drivers with the Fazor versions?" Answer; "We only make Fazor drivers for LCD-2 now"!

It took more than 2 weeks for Audeze to reply to my initial email, but to give them their credit, they have been much faster in the last week or two.

However... While waiting such a long time, the dreaded "upgraditis" got the better of me...  So now I have a lovely HiFiMan HE-560 on my head - but no money to repair the LCD-2.... 
eek.gif

I hope some of this info has been useful.

Cheers, Col

Mar 29, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #25 of 67
I acquired my LCD 2-non phasors in Feb  2013 and 1 month before the warrenty expired both of the drivers failed due to bass overload from my phil-jones bass amp headphone jack.  Audeze is good on their promise and replaced the drivers and ear pads and renewed the warranty for the drivers another 3 years. A word to the wise, these are not indestructible cans!  they deserve respect & care  like any other high class audio product.  Its great Audeze stands by their products and warranties.   

Mar 29, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #26 of 67
  I acquired my LCD 2-non phasors in Feb  2013 and 1 month before the warrenty expired both of the drivers failed due to bass overload from my phil-jones bass amp headphone jack.  Audeze is good on their promise and replaced the drivers and ear pads and renewed the warranty for the drivers another 3 years. A word to the wise, these are not indestructible cans!  they deserve respect & care  like any other high class audio product.  Its great Audeze stands by their products and warranties.   

Audeze is a class act!

Mar 30, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #27 of 67
It looks like I've just joined the LCD-2 driver-failure club too! My left driver packed in last night.

I have kept the original cable after upgrading so it was still in perfect condition and when I swapped back to that, the left side was still silent. I tried different headphones (Beyerdynamic DT770 Manufaktur) from the same signal chain and they worked fine. So it's either the left driver or some kind of dodgy connection in the left ear-piece. Reading this thread I guess it's the driver! Time to contact Audeze - although I seriously doubt whether my first gen LCD-2's still have any kind of warranty cover!

My left driver called it quits too, after 2 years. I think it was the result of my cat chewing on my nice custom cable that later caused some sort of imbalance, which the left driver couldn't handle and just crapped out mid-song.

My LCD2.2s will come back fazored. Hoping they'll turn out alright - I've heard the LCD X and 3F but haven't heard the 2Fs.

And another thing to add, my dealer was telling me that the fazors seem to be failing too, regardless of version. It's not deterring me from any future upgrades to the X or 3 though.

Mar 30, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #28 of 67
My left driver called it quits too, after 2 years. I think it was the result of my cat chewing on my nice custom cable that later caused some sort of imbalance, which the left driver couldn't handle and just crapped out mid-song.

My LCD2.2s will come back fazored. Hoping they'll turn out alright - I've heard the LCD X and 3F but haven't heard the 2Fs.

And another thing to add, my dealer was telling me that the fazors seem to be failing too, regardless of version.

I feel lucky - my drivers lasted 5 years! But maybe it's because I have no cats? 
wink.gif

It's not deterring me from any future upgrades to the X or 3 though.

I completely agree! Cheers 
beerchug.gif

Sep 5, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #29 of 67
hi everyone,

I finaly decided to try these cans. Is there a way to prevent the driver failures? Does it happen only if you use too powerful amp? Reducing listening session?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back