Audeze LCD-2 driver failures
May 27, 2022 at 5:27 AM Post #61 of 67
I have the same problem, an LCD-2 with a broken driver. I´ve asked by Cma Audio and they told me I must send the Headphones to them and that both drivers will be changed (even the good one) and this will cost about 600,-€, plus shipping. You can get a used LCD-2 for that money here in Germany, so I don´t think it is worth to do it. Audeze won`t sell drivers to their customers either (altough it´s pretty easy to change the drivers), so bassicaly I have now a pair of broken phones. So for me this means: never again Audeze!

May 27, 2022 at 6:31 AM Post #62 of 67
I have the same problem, an LCD-2 with a broken driver. I´ve asked by Cma Audio and they told me I must send the Headphones to them and that both drivers will be changed (even the good one) and this will cost about 600,-€, plus shipping. You can get a used LCD-2 for that money here in Germany, so I don´t think it is worth to do it. Audeze won`t sell drivers to their customers either (altough it´s pretty easy to change the drivers), so bassicaly I have now a pair of broken phones. So for me this means: never again Audeze!
Hello,
How old are the headphones?

Have you written to Audeze support?

I agree that you can buy a used pair for the money.
However, you still have the risk that it may break.
And if it is repaired, you still have a 3 year warranty on the driver.
Don't forget that before you judge now.

The other thing that both are exchanged is not easy to explain.
The drivers are matched to measured values so that they do not have too much deviation on the left and right side.
This is a good thing in the end.
But understandably annoying when something is really wrong with the headphones.

One thing I have to say is that Audeze at least offers a repair service in general and has brought it so far that you can have it repaired in the Eu instead of sending it to America which is still very expensive.
Apart from that, there are very few headphone manufacturers who also repair.
If I look at Focal who have quite a few driver failures and what the headphones cost new and the French are quite bitchy and rude when it comes to a repair I have to say hats off to the U.S. manufacturers.
Zmf offers lifetime warranty if he chooses,Dan clark audio repairs as well as Audeze.
You can't say the same about Eu manufacturers if they do then it's very reluctant and sometimes expensive.

That's why the 600€ would be worth investing, you have practically a new headphone with 3 years warranty.

May 27, 2022 at 7:53 AM Post #63 of 67
Hello,
How old are the headphones?

Have you written to Audeze support?

I agree that you can buy a used pair for the money.
However, you still have the risk that it may break.
And if it is repaired, you still have a 3 year warranty on the driver.
Don't forget that before you judge now.

The other thing that both are exchanged is not easy to explain.
The drivers are matched to measured values so that they do not have too much deviation on the left and right side.
This is a good thing in the end.
But understandably annoying when something is really wrong with the headphones.

One thing I have to say is that Audeze at least offers a repair service in general and has brought it so far that you can have it repaired in the Eu instead of sending it to America which is still very expensive.
Apart from that, there are very few headphone manufacturers who also repair.
If I look at Focal who have quite a few driver failures and what the headphones cost new and the French are quite bitchy and rude when it comes to a repair I have to say hats off to the U.S. manufacturers.
Zmf offers lifetime warranty if he chooses,Dan clark audio repairs as well as Audeze.
You can't say the same about Eu manufacturers if they do then it's very reluctant and sometimes expensive.

That's why the 600€ would be worth investing, you have practically a new headphone with 3 years warranty.
The headphones are from 2017, and, yeah, I wrote to Audeze support, and after they asked a lot of questions, they told me that they don´t sell to customers (than why all the questions?), so no help there.

I know about the 3-year warranty, but for 600,-€ I would expect at least a 5-year warranty. I can afford 600,-€ actually, but not every 3 years, and, besides, I don´t want that.

I don´t know about Focal, but you can get every time new driver for HD600/650, for example.

May 27, 2022 at 8:01 AM Post #64 of 67
Hello,
Yes, it's normal not to sell to customers.
It's nothing personal from Audeze, it's just that it's done properly and a functional test is done afterwards.

Unfortunately, the best things have already happened where you thought it couldn't get any worse.

5 years is not really something for which a driver has gone bye-bye.
At 10 years I would have said okay.
The only thing you can do is to see if a cable has come loose.
Otherwise, if not, the only option is to repair it or leave it alone.

By the way, I'm very sorry for the headphones and for you that you don't have a reasonable solution.

May 27, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #65 of 67
Hello,
Yes, it's normal not to sell to customers.
It's nothing personal from Audeze, it's just that it's done properly and a functional test is done afterwards.

Unfortunately, the best things have already happened where you thought it couldn't get any worse.

5 years is not really something for which a driver has gone bye-bye.
At 10 years I would have said okay.
The only thing you can do is to see if a cable has come loose.
Otherwise, if not, the only option is to repair it or leave it alone.

By the way, I'm very sorry for the headphones and for you that you don't have a reasonable solution.
Hello Deleeh,
why is it normal not to sell to the customers? If I´m aware of the risk and I want to take my chances, why not? It´s my money, after all. Audeze could write a warning, and everybody is happy.

Frankly I would like 10-year warranty too, but I don´t think that will gone happen.

I´ve look allready and the driver has a hole in it, so, nothing to do.

And I´m very sorry for my headphones and myself too:o2smile:

May 27, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #66 of 67
From customer’s point of view, it’s not worth spending that amount of money to repair an old model like the LCD-2. It’s not like it is collectible item that retains its value well in the future. I would rather move to the next one.

May 27, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #67 of 67
From customer’s point of view, it’s not worth spending that amount of money to repair an old model like the LCD-2. It’s not like it is collectible item that retains its value well in the future. I would rather move to the next one.

I ended up getting a used pair of LCD-1s off eBay for a steal (300CAD shipped) and they're pretty much on par with my old LCD-2s to my ears. A hell of a lot lighter too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back