Audeze LCD-2 and Monoprice M1060, Comparison and Discussion
Nov 9, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #16 of 32
If you plan on keeping both M1060 and LCD-2 don't get vegan pads for M1060. For a couple months I had M1060 with vegan pads+paper towel (and then eventually fuzzor) side-by-side with my LCD-2 (2016) and they sounded identical. I let other people hear both and they said the same thing. I spend hours on many days just swapping back and forth and I can say that LCD-2 is probably just a tad more detailed and maybe imaging a little better, but you have to really critically listen with fast switching using an A/B switch to hear the differences. In that configuration, I don't think it is worth owning both.
I appreciate your concern. I'll more than likely end up keeping both simply because I tend to collect these kinds of things and not want to let them go. that being said, I AM on the lookout for some vegan pads if anyone knows anyone willing to let a pair go...

Nov 9, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #17 of 32
I always wondered why I've not seen someone try ZMF pads on the M1060. They make a suede Eikon pad, I know it's not vegan, but close in feel I'd think.

Nov 9, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #18 of 32
I appreciate your concern. I'll more than likely end up keeping both simply because I tend to collect these kinds of things and not want to let them go. that being said, I AM on the lookout for some vegan pads if anyone knows anyone willing to let a pair go...
I see you own the Q701 and are selling them. I have both the (V2) 1060's and (4-5 year old Austrian) Q701's. They are quite different, with the Q's strength lying in soundstage/openness/airiness/imaging ... whatever descriptors you want to throw at them. And although the Q's are often described as having 'anemic' bass, I couldn't disagree more. The Asgard 2/Q701 pairing is just wonderful, thank you. But I do LOVE the 1060's and use both regularly. 1060's are modded with paper towel circles, DM3 fuzzor, and my own Creatology strips inside the stock pads. I found these strips helped quite a bit in taming the shouty stuff that was going on. The Q701's are stock, and really are wonderful sounding, to MY ears, as are the modded 1060's.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #19 of 32
@biggbenn74, nice review and I liked the way you linked to the songs you used. My impression of the M1060 was it was a boring lifeless sound with rolled of treble and one-note type of bass and it didn't make much difference on the various amps I tried it on. I was thinking of giving the M1060 another try but it seems that some of the early lovers of the M1060 have moved on and I think my first impression of the M1060 was quite sound. I compared it to a 2014 LCD-2f, TH-600, Ypsilon R1 build, Nhoord Red V2 build, HD700, HE560, HE400i and a few other headphones. I wasn't the only one who thought the M1060 as boring since my GF and a few of her friends along with the owner of the M1060 all felt the same, could it be we listened to a bad example, possible but if that's the case then the QC is something I wouldn't want to deal with.

Nov 9, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #20 of 32
@biggbenn74, nice review and I liked the way you linked to the songs you used. My impression of the M1060 was it was a boring lifeless sound with rolled of treble and one-note type of bass and it didn't make much difference on the various amps I tried it on. I was thinking of giving the M1060 another try but it seems that some of the early lovers of the M1060 have moved on and I think my first impression of the M1060 was quite sound. I compared it to a 2014 LCD-2f, TH-600, Ypsilon R1 build, Nhoord Red V2 build, HD700, HE560, HE400i and a few other headphones. I wasn't the only one who thought the M1060 as boring since my GF and a few of her friends along with the owner of the M1060 all felt the same, could it be we listened to a bad example, possible but if that's the case then the QC is something I wouldn't want to deal with.
Thank you for the kind words, and your experience seems to be the norm in the community (about the same as mine!). Although, the M1060's are the "gateway drug" to planar magnetics, and I'm hooked!

Nov 9, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #23 of 32
Thank you for the kind words, and your experience seems to be the norm in the community (about the same as mine!). Although, the M1060's are the "gateway drug" to planar magnetics, and I'm hooked!

It is indeed the gateway planar, lol. I just bought some HE-560s because the M1060s got me hooked on planar sound. I'm sure more planars are in my future.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #24 of 32
My "gateway" to planar headphones was the HE400, $300 at the time I got them. I still have them but they have been modded (headband, sorbothane, grill mod + hard rubber pad, different ear pads) to the point where they are really good sounding and quite comfortable to me. I also have a LCD-2f, HE400i, HE560, and EL-8 open to round out the planar headphones but I don't think I'm looking to get anymore these days since I've started to play with alternative drivers from Nhoord, Symphones, and Elleven Acoustica. These are not the cheapest things to build but damn do they sound good, so good that I don't use most of my other headphones these days and one of the best things about these alternative drivers is they are easy to drive so I can enjoy them with my crappy Galaxy S5 phone or cheap low power DAPs like Fiio X1 or ipod touch.

If you are interested I have a Nhoord prototype driver on tour that I can send your way, all I ask is that you pay the shipping to the next person. Send me a PM if interested.

Nov 20, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #25 of 32
upload_2017-11-20_14-33-49.png

Photos have been added successfully! Looking forward to more impressions and I am ready to answer more questions.

Nov 22, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #26 of 32
Opposite for me. LCD2 is veiled with recessed mids. Heavy, expensive not worth the price tag. M1060 much better sounding. This dark veil is well known for LCD series.

I got rid of the LCD2 quickly as it sounded off.
Interesting, I own the M1060's and LCD 2F's (2017) and find the LCD'S to be much better sounding overall. Better separation, more air, better controlled bass and more forward mid's. But everything is subjective depending on music genre preferences, equipment differences even hearing differences. Glad to hear you are enjoying your 1060's so much.

Jun 2, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #27 of 32
@biggbenn74 Thank you so much for making this thread and taking time to do the write up. It has certainly helped me understand how these 2 headphones fair against each other. I would wish to ask that with such varied views on the 2 headphones, could it be due to the amplification and source/dac that affects these headphones... I see you have a Schiit combo and I know that those are by no means any slouch...

but I just can't help but wonder could it be that those who hear the M1060 to be significantly poorer than the LCD-2 have like an upstream of insane/highend electronic that allows the differentiation of the two to be a lot clearer than those who auditioned them quickly with a smartphone or what not...

Jun 3, 2018 at 7:06 AM Post #29 of 32
@biggbenn74 Thank you so much for making this thread and taking time to do the write up. It has certainly helped me understand how these 2 headphones fair against each other. I would wish to ask that with such varied views on the 2 headphones, could it be due to the amplification and source/dac that affects these headphones... I see you have a Schiit combo and I know that those are by no means any slouch...

but I just can't help but wonder could it be that those who hear the M1060 to be significantly poorer than the LCD-2 have like an upstream of insane/highend electronic that allows the differentiation of the two to be a lot clearer than those who auditioned them quickly with a smartphone or what not...
I'm not sure what you consider "insane/high end" but I'm one that found the M1060 on the boring end compared to my LCD-2F and I found the M1060 to be a bit boring in general but its important that you know that I have much brighter headphones like HD800, HD700, T1gen1, HE560, RS2e and my system is:
DACs: UD301, Bifrost Uber, Bifrost MB, and Modi2uber
Amps: Asgard2, Lyr2, BH Crack, Project Ember and headphone outputs of UD301 and AH01.a few others.

While I don't own a M1060 I have two friends that have them and tried them a few times and they have never really gave me a "WOW' experience but since we all hear differently its hard to say how you will perceive the M1060

Jun 3, 2018 at 7:09 AM Post #30 of 32
I'm not sure what you consider "insane/high end" but I'm one that found the M1060 on the boring end compared to my LCD-2F and I found the M1060 to be a bit boring in general but its important that you know that I have much brighter headphones like HD800, HD700, T1gen1, HE560, RS2e and my system is:
DACs: UD301, Bifrost Uber, Bifrost MB, and Modi2uber
Amps: Asgard2, Lyr2, BH Crack, Project Ember and headphone outputs of UD301 and AH01.a few others.

While I don't own a M1060 I have two friends that have them and tried them a few times and they have never really gave me a "WOW' experience but since we all hear differently its hard to say how you will perceive the M1060

I don’t think I will ever own the M1060
because I am very particular about build quality and I think that is what the M1060 lacks. And I for one don’t have the time or ability to modify it to rival good headphones... I feel like it is similar to people modding their Honda civics and Nissan GTRs to try and rival a Lambo or Ferrari... they can be as quick but are they really as desirable... Thanks for your reply though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back