Audeze LCD-1
Oct 26, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #301 of 1,085
Okay, fair enough. In the interest of having some diversity of opinion on this headphone I've just ordered my own pair for evaluation. I'll be comparing them directly against the hd650 which I've owned for almost 10 years.
Alright great, the more impressions, the better. Another reason why I'm so hesitant to say it outright wins against the Sennheisers is because I think the community at large will decide that with their wallets better than any one person. There's also the fact that the 6xx exists for under $250 new, too. So it's very hard to answer a question like that. But for me, to be really clear, I'd take the Audeze over the 660S but the 650 is too special of a headphone in its timbre for me to dethrone it that fast.

Oct 26, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #302 of 1,085
Alright great, the more impressions, the better. Another reason why I'm so hesitant to say it outright wins against the Sennheisers is because I think the community at large will decide that with their wallets better than any one person. There's also the fact that the 6xx exists for under $250 new, too. So it's very hard to answer a question like that. But for me, to be really clear, I'd take the Audeze over the 660S but the 650 is too special of a headphone in its timbre for me to dethrone it that fast.

So, for the record you are saying that the lcd-1 does not dethrone the hd650. I want to be sure that I don't misinterpret your statement. I'll go back and rewatch your review again, to see if I possibly could have misunderstood what you stated.

Oct 26, 2019 at 7:32 PM Post #303 of 1,085
So, for the record you are saying that the lcd-1 does not dethrone the hd650. I want to be sure that I don't misinterpret your statement. I'll go back and rewatch your review again, to see if I possibly could have misunderstood what you stated.
I just took a look at it myself and yeah I didn't specify that the 650 was better overall in the conclusion. But I can totally see why people are thinking I believe that the LCD1 is outright better because of the sound description sections. I really try to separate my own preference on what headphones I like vs. the more objective advantages and disadvantages of the sound quality.

Oct 26, 2019 at 9:05 PM Post #304 of 1,085
Not quite. I said at the end of my review that my 650 isn't going anywhere. As for the 660S, I think if you need an efficient open back, the Audeze is the one to get instead.
I think the HD 660S is a side-grade (at best) over the HD 650, so it doesn't surprise me at all that the LCD-1 is the better choice.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2019 at 1:37 AM Post #306 of 1,085
Nice :wink:
.. Audeze .. i like you :wink: .. Well thats what i call a "unexpectedly fast support"

ok i am in for the lcd-1 once its officially shipping in europe for that fixed price of 399 euros ill buy them instantly..
Thanks for clarifying this. since i can distinquish red and blue/black this should work :wink:)

Nice and thanks a lot !

well, where can we order them in europe for 399 ??? any black friday deals coming ?? :p

Oct 27, 2019 at 1:53 AM Post #307 of 1,085
@metal571 When you use the equalizer APO, are you able to output Asio or Wasapi? I used it in the past, and I was only able to output Window's DirectSound. And that really negatively impacted the sound quality.
No, EqualizerAPO only works with the windows audio stack and does not work with asio or directsound. Can't say I've ever heard even the slightest difference using one of the other two as long as sampling rates match.

Oct 27, 2019 at 7:01 AM Post #309 of 1,085
The early reviews have been calling the lcd-1 an hd650 killer. "Clearly better...destroy the hd6xx" etc. Do you find that to be true?

Ignore these reviews.
Because, if people can't hear the difference between the infinite clarity of a typical Planar and the compressed and lightly distorted analog sound of a Dynamic, (speaker) then this explains why they think they can compare the 2 as if this is logical and accurate.
Its not.
its like comparing a maple tree with a Synthetic Christmas tree.
Sure, they are both trees.
Sure they are both headphones.

Oct 27, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #311 of 1,085
Can you comment of the sound quality compared to the Mobius, if you have heard both?
I hope it doesn't sound like the Mobius, in which I thought was pretty mediocre sounding. Matter a fact, I've most often I've been disappointed with Audeze tonal response and at times resolution of their expensive headphones, and I'm wondering if this will be the first time they put out a decent tonal headphone (because the upper-mids on their headphones recesses, which makes me think they have no control over the response there). I doubt that they are able to compete with the Sennheiser 6 series tonality. One big factor is the impedance. The better Sennheisers are 300ohm and it's partly the reason why they sound so good on tube amps, which is not usually the case with planars.

Since extremely low impedance, compete with headphones that are driven by portable sources?

The graph does look intriguing. Who's measurement rig? I also have to see several samples measured (from several different measurement rigs) to see if this response is consistant. Sennheisers are pretty consistent as they have great QC, and can't say the same about Audeze. They drivers in the past has been known to have sample variances.

Lately, I've measured their LCDi4 $2.5k iem, and the response was total crap. Due to my experience with their products, particularly their drivers, I'm very skeptical of their products.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #312 of 1,085
I hope it doesn't sound like the Mobius, in which I thought was pretty mediocre sounding. Matter a fact, I've most often I've been disappointed with Audeze tonal response and at times resolution of their expensive headphones, and I'm wondering if this will be the first time they put out a decent tonal headphone (because the upper-mids on their headphones recesses, which makes me think they have no control over the response there). I doubt that they are able to compete with the Sennheiser 6 series tonality. One big factor is the impedance. The better Sennheisers are 300ohm and it's partly the reason why they sound so good on tube amps, which is not usually the case with planars.

Since extremely low impedance, compete with headphones that are driven by portable sources?

The graph does look intriguing. Who's measurement rig? I also have to see several samples measured (from several different measurement rigs) to see if this response is consistant. Sennheisers are pretty consistent as they have great QC, and can't say the same about Audeze. They drivers in the past has been known to have sample variances.

Lately, I've measured their LCDi4 $2.5k iem, and the response was total crap. Due to my experience with their products, particularly their drivers, I'm very skeptical of their products.
That rig is Audeze's own GRAS KEMAR, as I mentioned previously. The Mobius has a similar FR when running in hi res stereo and Default EQ preset, but the LCD1 has better stage and detail. LCDi4 is not designed to be used without the EQ provided by the Cipher cable. It measures very strangely when running direct from an amp. LCD1 is more neutral (to the Audeze house curve) than many of the "big" LCDs as well. However if you are more of a fan of diffuse field tuning you might still not like it. It is not targeted at a DT880-like sound, for example.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #313 of 1,085
I am looking at the LCD-1 as a successor to my NAD Viso HP50s, which are similar in that they're easy to drive with portables, have smallish comfortable earcups, and have been known for their neutral-ish profile. I own a pair of HD600s, and have heard the 660S, but never wanted something like I hear the 650 sounds like (not my preference). Hoping for some more reviews that compare them to a broader range of competitors.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #314 of 1,085
LCDi4 is not designed to be used without the EQ provided by the Cipher cable. It measures very strangely when running direct from an amp. LCD1 is more neutral (to the Audeze house curve) than many of the "big" LCDs as well.
LCDi4 is sold without cipher and will provide one on request. Even the sales person will not even mention it. Many people were driving it out of Hugo 2 without any EQ. Cipher EQ doesn't magically improve the response that much better. The response of the driver has a large effect on it's response. I've measured both Reveal and with Cipher applied, and due to the stock response not really being fixable with EQ, both doesn't help that much. You should really look at measurements with EQ applied to really know if the response is largely fixed or not.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #315 of 1,085
LCDi4 is sold without cipher and will provide one on request. Even the sales person will not even mention it. Many people were driving it out of Hugo 2 without any EQ. Cipher EQ doesn't magically improve the response that much better. The response of the driver has a large effect on it's response. I've measured both Reveal and with Cipher applied, and due to the stock response not really being fixable with EQ, both doesn't help that much. You should really look at measurements with EQ applied to really know if the response is largely fixed or not.
I know how it measures, and I also know that it uses the LCD4 film. I heard one once without Cipher and although the FR is pretty whacked out that way, I could tell detail was superb. I'll reserve final judgement for when I review it, however. As for your other comments, *directly* from the Audeze site:

https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd-i4
upload_2019-10-27_13-2-59.png

If dealers aren't selling them that way or are plugging them directly into amps, something is wrong and they've been misinformed, IMO.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back