Audeze LCD-1
Oct 29, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #331 of 1,085
I really want to see a comparison of these vs Sundara. Coming off of owning Aeon Flow Opens (which I really hated), I'm looking for my next purchase. Can anyone advise in this department?

I'm thinking that maybe I should bite the bullet and go even higher than AFO in price and get Ananda as apparently they are the planar equivalent of Focal Clear. I'd like to mention I don't like dynamic headphones.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #332 of 1,085
Why you didn't like the AFO?
The overall sound signature?
Musicallity, or the lack of?

Oct 29, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #333 of 1,085
Why you didn't like the AFO?
The overall sound signature?
Musicallity, or the lack of?

Many things wrong with it. I don't know why everyone praises them. The sound isn't very musical and it's quite closed in/dark, yet warm?. A very strange and uncomfortable combination, one could even say macabre. Smaller soundstage than Hifiman HE-400S. I can't contest that the details, separation and depth were excellent though. But combined with the very annoying ergonomics really made me hate them. I never looked forward having to use them. I don't have big ears, but it's almost impossible to find a position in which they do not touch your ears because of the shape and depth of the pads (so they touch around your ear and slightly against your furthest most part of the ear ie. the tip of your ear). After using them for 1h or even less, they get uncomfortably warm inside the cups and breaks all immersion of whatever you are trying to enjoy. Perforated leather and slightly stiffer foam would've gone a long way or changeable pads at least.

Overall, I thought I was upgrading from HE-400S and I ended up thoroughly disappointed and a step in the wrong direction for me in terms of musicality. In fact, music sounded very fun and good for me when I plugged my 400S into a Matrix X-SABRE Pro or Chord Hugo 2, apart from obvious lack of adequate details, separation, depth etc. But musically, it was all there and made my foot tap and head move on every song.

I do suspect however that the Ether from Mr. Speakers might address ALL of the issues I have had with the AFO, while retaining all of the advantages. But I haven't found a place I can try them at as of yet and I'm not sure if I'm willing to spend the dough.

PS: It took around 6 months or more to sell my AFOs, which should tell you the reality of how sought after they really are compared to how reviewers are making them out to be (and yes, I know they're on InnerFidelity Wall of Fame...).

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #334 of 1,085
I really want to see a comparison of these vs Sundara. Coming off of owning Aeon Flow Opens (which I really hated), I'm looking for my next purchase. Can anyone advise in this department?

I'm thinking that maybe I should bite the bullet and go even higher than AFO in price and get Ananda as apparently they are the planar equivalent of Focal Clear. I'd like to mention I don't like dynamic headphones.
I just sure hope these are a lot better than the Sundara. I was just not a fan of those headphones, despite the fact I am somewhat of a Hifiman fanboy.

Oct 29, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #335 of 1,085
When did you order? I ordered Oct 16 at 7:56 AM, even before I got an email from them announcing them, but I’m still not showing them shipped yet. Looking forward to your impressions! :D

Yes, i also ordered them the day they were available to order. "16th".
I appreciate that Audeze sent many sets out to be reviewed, while asking the actual buyers to wait a few weeks to get theirs, but, im kinda hoping they will get going and ship to all those who purchased, our Headphones.

I ordered on October 18th, paid full price, and did not tell Audeze that I would be reviewing them, so I'm not sure why mine shipped first. I'm located in South Florida, so maybe they're doing it geographically, shipping the furthest orders first?

Oct 29, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #336 of 1,085
I do suspect however that the Ether from Mr. Speakers might address all of the issues I have had with the AFO, while retaining all of the advantages.

I auditioned the AFO and the AFC before ultimately making the stretch purchase of my Ether C Flows. The AFO was my least favorite of the bunch. It was overly warm to my ears as well, and just didn't really impress me dynamically either. The AFC sounds more like an entry-level Ether, sounding thinner overall while retaining the detail and imaging you expect from MrSpeakers. Your assumption is correct that the Ether C Flow and Ether 2 have what you liked about the Aeon line, but without their flaws.

(sorry, a little off-topic)

Oct 29, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #337 of 1,085
I ordered on October 18th, paid full price, and did not tell Audeze that I would be reviewing them, so I'm not sure why mine shipped first. I'm located in South Florida, so maybe they're doing it geographically, shipping the furthest orders first?

Who knows? :) I'm no reviewer, either, that's for sure, I'm in North Texas, definitely getting no discount, although frankly just from what I've heard, I don't think I'll be mad about $399 at all.

In any case 'll be okay, I have way too many headphones to feel bad about getting these a little later, no biggie -- and I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions. And post pics, too, please! :D .

I purchased the Sine second-hand in the meantime, but on-ears physically aren't comfortable for me so I've been struggling with that... but the Sine were always just to whet my appetite for the LCD-1, anyway, unless I find pads that are good enough on comfort to salvage them comfort-wise.

Oct 29, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #338 of 1,085

Well, its good to know that Audeze is shipping...
Ears everywhere are heard cheering.

Here is my order number......what's yours ?

mail
>. ORDER #2360
Thank you for your purchase!
Hi FullBright1 , we're getting your order ready to be shipped. We will notify you when it has been sent.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #339 of 1,085
Well, its good to know that Audeze is not shipping the LCD-1s according to who processed an order first.
And how do i know.... and Here is info that something that you'll enjoy., MyPants,
Currently, Im in Florida........:)

Here is my order number......what is yours ?
Hopefully is previous to mine.
-

mail
>. ORDER #2360
Thank you for your purchase!
Hi FullBright1 , we're getting your order ready to be shipped. We will notify you when it has been sent.

My order # is 2298, not that you asked me but... :grin:

Oct 29, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #340 of 1,085
Looks like Audeze is shipping them out. Mine is due to arrive today before EOD. Guess it helps being 20mins away. Can't wait.

Oct 29, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #344 of 1,085
My money is that the curve is gonna be quite flat, with a little softening in the upper mids to lower treble, but not too much. And bass being flat but a little reduced compared to low mids and beyond.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #345 of 1,085
All headphones retrieve details. They do so at different volumes depending on the detail's frequencies. This is called the headphone's frequency response.

This shouldn't be confused with "resolving ability" or "technicality". For those, we should look at things like response time, damping, and distortion when playing simultaneous frequencies.
FR is simply volume across frequencies with a consistent input. Many use the term detail as synonymous with resolving. You seem to refer to it as simply the presence of sound.

The previous poster’s point is well taken that peaks in FR are often misinterpreted for greater detail (or resolving ability) where really it’s just a volume peak with no greater resolution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back