Audeze LCD-1
May 3, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #901 of 1,085
The form factor and portability of the LCD-1 makes it attractive though. You don’t need much power to get it going, while the Sundara takes quite a bit more. Also, Hifiman build quality concerns a lot of people.
I do agree with you hifimans quality concerns me too but given the corrected it on the second batch as per them and i was listening to Oluv's sound demo and i didnt like the sounds too much treble i guess ssssssss sound, plus audeze sounds good in the demo but can i trust those demos

May 3, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #902 of 1,085
I do agree with you hifimans quality concerns me too but given the corrected it on the second batch as per them and i was listening to Oluv's sound demo and i didnt like the sounds too much treble i guess ssssssss sound, plus audeze sounds good in the demo but can i trust those demos
Sound demos aren’t usually a great way to tell how a headphone sounds. Your headphone would have to be dead neutral to perfectly display how it really sounds.

May 6, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #904 of 1,085
i was listening to Oluv's sound demo and i didnt like the sounds too much treble i guess ssssssss sound, plus audeze sounds good in the demo but can i trust those demos

Using binaural recording to demo another headphone is quite unrealistic to get a true sense of how a headphone sounds.

When a headphone X is recorded this way by Person A and virtually auditioned by another person Person B using headphone Y, this is what the audio path looks like

Headphone X FR -> HRTF A -> MIc -> A/D-> Recording -> D/A-> Headphone Y FR ->HRTF B

By the time it hits your ear drum it has gone through double HRTFs and represents the frequency response of two heads and two headphones.

If two headphones were recorded exactly the same way by the same person in a single sitting without adjusting the in-ear mic (which by the way are very finicky), and if the two headphones have a similar form factor/earpad size, in the best case scenario you could judge the two headphones relative to one other and answer some questions such as
Which of the two headphones is brighter or which of the two has more bass, then again it is relative and not absolute.

Last edited:
May 7, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #905 of 1,085
If two headphones were recorded exactly the same way by the same person in a single sitting without adjusting the in-ear mic (which by the way are very finicky), and if the two headphones have a similar form factor/earpad size, in the best case scenario you could judge the two headphones relative to one other and answer some questions such as
Which of the two headphones is brighter or which of the two has more bass, then again it is relative and not absolute.
Thanks for clearing this up I even thought that there are way too much variables for this to work and given what we hear is the frequency response of our headphone it might be not that correct at the end.
Well I went with sundara but given lockdown it might take a few weeks to come !!

May 18, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #906 of 1,085
Its been a long while since i have been on head fi as been relatively happy until this lockdown and neighbor complaints about noise has 'forced' me to fall off the wagon and buy more headphones. I am awaiting a pair of LCD-1, anything i should know? mods, tips to get started?

From reading reviews it seems like they are easy to drive so will i need an amp/dac i have a oneplus 6T and a Cayin N3 DAP to run them and also a Sony AV Amp that has my turntable connected to it & also play music via bluetooth from my phone.

May 19, 2020 at 2:22 AM Post #907 of 1,085
If you found i would like to know

May 25, 2020 at 12:38 AM Post #908 of 1,085
Ordered a pair of the B-stock version and can't wait to get those in the mail soon. They will compliment my Hi-fiman HE-400 and Audeze LCD-2 Closed back headphones

Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #910 of 1,085
2020_0508_13421500.jpg

The more I listen to this little beast, the more I'm sure this headphone still best option out there for below $800 (Because LCD 2C and Elear exist). My previous favourite in this category are long time favourite HD650 (HD660S too!) and Grado RS1e. But LCD-1 can become my desert island choice in this price category.

Tonal balance is natural, super smooth sounding, blacker background than most other headphones in similar price range, bass is there but never overpower other spectrum at all. The only downside is if I move my head to much (like when drinking) the housing start to produce little crackling sound.

Jun 5, 2020 at 4:44 AM Post #911 of 1,085
Just received my second pair from the B-stock. Now I am happy for these lightweight complements to my LCD-2CB's.

Jun 5, 2020 at 6:43 AM Post #912 of 1,085
My set

Attachments

• B088CFBB-F655-49C2-93C4-61D63431780F.jpeg
    B088CFBB-F655-49C2-93C4-61D63431780F.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Jun 12, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #915 of 1,085
Hello its my first post here and i am new to audiophile hobby !! I just have the Sennheiser HD558 and was wanting an upgrade and now i am stuck between Hifiman Sundara and the Audeze LCD1 ? If somebody can compare it would be great.
I read all the 60pages and i am confused now really !!
I tried both at a shop and ended buying lcd-1. I only compared them on my smartphone, though. The sounded quite different. Lcd-1 is perfectly driven by it, while the Sundara couldn't cope. I had tried HE-400 at home with my desktop amp but returned it because it sounded unexciting. Sundara seemed better in similar sound profile, but midrange was the star of the show on lcd-1. I've been happy with my lcd-1 but wished I tried Sundara with an amp. Sundara seemed to have deeper, more extended bass but less intense than lcd-1, and "thinner", less body, though it might be my phone. Moreover, my lcd-1 sounds almost as good out of my phone than my desktop amp, incredible as it may be. (none is high res).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back