Audeze LCD-1
Apr 2, 2020 at 2:51 AM Post #886 of 1,085
Can anyone recommend a good amp/dac to use with these?

I'm looking at maybe one of the Dragonflys, a Fiio Q5 or the Schiit Magni + Modi stack or Fulla 2.

I'm currently running them from the HD3 Audioengine in-built headphone amp and also wondering if a proper amp/dac would be better.

The LCD-1s are already pretty sensitive to be played well from a decent source as per the specs.

But if you are looking to add your own setup for future purchases, the recommended budget dac/amps should all work well with the LCD-1:

> Schiit Stack (Modi 3 / Magni 3)

> JDS Labs O2 dac + amp

> JDS Labs OL DAC + JDS Atom

> Topping D10 or D30 DAC plus A30 AMP

Any combination of these amp and dacs should work well for almost all headphones out there - barring of course the known top of the line models that have special requirements to sound the way they're known for.

Apr 6, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #887 of 1,085
How do these compare to the EL-8 open back? Also can anyone compare the size of the the LCD 1 ear pads to some other headphones so we get a better idea of how roomy they are? For example the PM3? Or any other headphones you want to use as your reference

Apr 8, 2020 at 5:32 AM Post #888 of 1,085
I received mine yesterday. This really is a great headphone and, to my ears, matches very well with Chord Mojo & Poly. I like Audeze but the weight was always an issue for me but this puppy is a keeper :).

Apr 9, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #889 of 1,085
I was looking to replace my DT990 pro which I loved but are broken beyond repair. I like Huge Soundstage and deep bass. My other current phones are Lawton Modded Fostex TH-600, Bowers and Wilkins px (for portable use), and Koss ESP 95X on the way.
Based on the above , likelihood the LCD 1 would be a good replacement for the DT990 pro and fill an area the others don't.
It would be paired with a Woo WA7 fireflies amp and Music Hall 25.3 tube DAC.

Apr 9, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #890 of 1,085
I was looking to replace my DT990 pro which I loved but are broken beyond repair. I like Huge Soundstage and deep bass. My other current phones are Lawton Modded Fostex TH-600, Bowers and Wilkins px (for portable use), and Koss ESP 95X on the way.
Based on the above , likelihood the LCD 1 would be a good replacement for the DT990 pro and fill an area the others don't.
It would be paired with a Woo WA7 fireflies amp and Music Hall 25.3 tube DAC.

LCD-1 doesn't have huge soundstage, if anything it's a bit narrow for an open back headphone. Bass is well-extended but it's not elevated and being a planar it doesn't hit as hard as some dynamic headphones do

Apr 9, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #891 of 1,085
LCD-1 doesn't have huge soundstage, if anything it's a bit narrow for an open back headphone. Bass is well-extended but it's not elevated and being a planar it doesn't hit as hard as some dynamic headphones do
Thanks, don't think it is what I need right now to replace my DT990. May grab a pair down the line to have some planar magnetics to go along with my dynamic and electrostatic cans.

Apr 10, 2020 at 11:34 PM Post #893 of 1,085
Deva has bluetooth that I think won't work with LCD 1. So I wonder if Audeze might get a bluetooth cable for LCD 1 with Aptx Adaptive just to keep Hifiman at a [social] distance.

HiFiMAN DEVA has a single 3.5mm balanced input, the LCD-1 uses dual 3.5mm connectors, one per ear cup, so a Bluetooth cable would seem awkward and I think Audeze is more likely to release a closed back wireless headphone without such an awkward arrangement.

Apr 12, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #895 of 1,085
I was really excited about this headphone due to its design and lighter weight, until I read people saying it doesn't have the warmth of some of its predecessors. This is unfortunate because that is what impressed me the most with Audeze headphones when I tried them at headphone conventions - the rich, warm, detailed bass.

Agree wholeheartedly that if Audeze releases something similar - a light, stylish and portable headphone but with a warmer sound, I would be ALL over it.

Apr 14, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #896 of 1,085
Hello
I'm making a quick return on this headset or at least on its cable ...
Many have tested other cables on it and unfortunately there was only sound on one of the speakers even when inverted.
Well the solution is very simple I tested on my Meze pure Silver cable. You just have to slightly unplug the mini jack on the speaker which has no sound

Attachments

• 767CC55A-EB01-40DE-8546-0790A8A0A5FA.jpeg
    767CC55A-EB01-40DE-8546-0790A8A0A5FA.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 7A11F71A-2AD8-4F61-9882-8C91B49D34B8.jpeg
    7A11F71A-2AD8-4F61-9882-8C91B49D34B8.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Apr 14, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #897 of 1,085
Does anyone know why this dual stereo to 3.5mm SE cable will not work with the LCD-1 when fully inserted? The sound only comes when they are unplugged from the LCD-1 socket slightly, but not when fully inserted. Does this have to do with the R/L selection in the LCD-1? I'd rather they just made them have a right and left side, so any cable could work with them.
IMG_20200321_105244.jpg
Same thing with my audeze if you have a good cable Référence i take^^

Apr 14, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #898 of 1,085
I was really excited about this headphone due to its design and lighter weight, until I read people saying it doesn't have the warmth of some of its predecessors. This is unfortunate because that is what impressed me the most with Audeze headphones when I tried them at headphone conventions - the rich, warm, detailed bass.

Agree wholeheartedly that if Audeze releases something similar - a light, stylish and portable headphone but with a warmer sound, I would be ALL over it.

Interesting since I felt like some of my other Audeze purchases weren't suitably warm (the in-ear models were quite uncomfortable and never sounded right to me). I loved my LCD-2 closed model but had to sell them because my asshole of a boss stopped paying all his employees for five months. Anyone able to weigh in on how these compare?

May 3, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #899 of 1,085
Hello its my first post here and i am new to audiophile hobby !! I just have the Sennheiser HD558 and was wanting an upgrade and now i am stuck between Hifiman Sundara and the Audeze LCD1 ? If somebody can compare it would be great.
I read all the 60pages and i am confused now really !!

May 3, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #900 of 1,085
Hello its my first post here and i am new to audiophile hobby !! I just have the Sennheiser HD558 and was wanting an upgrade and now i am stuck between Hifiman Sundara and the Audeze LCD1 ? If somebody can compare it would be great.
I read all the 60pages and i am confused now really !!
This review should help; he does a very good comparison, other impressions I’ve read seem to agree.

Basically it comes down to the Sundara being better all around, with the LCD-1 only beating it in treble extension and micro detail (which is already probably quite solid on the Sundara).

The form factor and portability of the LCD-1 makes it attractive though. You don’t need much power to get it going, while the Sundara takes quite a bit more. Also, Hifiman build quality concerns a lot of people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back