Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
Sep 2, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #121 of 7,348
I'm very interested in these as I've been wanting to try an open back IEM. I just wish they could have a small headband like the Baby Stax. Maybe even an on ear model rather than in ear.

I think these will be great for the office. Open sounding at low volume level hopefully.

Sep 2, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #122 of 7,348
I'm definitely in the minority but I actually find these may meet my peculiar needs quite well - I'm very fond of Audeze's house sound and I live/work in fairly quiet cities where the Summer is excruciatingly hot (it's 100f out right now), wearing full sizeds gets super uncomfortable but if I want to use in ears instead in order to survive I have to give up a huge deal of sound quality.

With these maybe that'll cease to be the case, they do look ridiculous (so much so that they have a certain charm about them) but I care very little for that. Plus, with these on at work instead of regular iems maybe I won't ignore the helpful assistant for 10 minutes whilst she frantically knocks on the glass door.

All in all, this is such a weird design but I figure if I may have a use for them then others might too - especially folks who already own great sounding (C)IEMs for travelling/commuting as is. Looking forward to actual sound impressions however.

Sep 2, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #123 of 7,348
  Yamaha was first
ph34r.gif

All the way back in 1978 until 1984 ,
20mm diaphragms
Design is no doubt expired by now.

These Audeze sure look interesting,
sure nice to see something like this back again without a small headband assembly to hold them in....
Need to chain up the wallet.
popcorn.gif

They were referring to IEM's, a niche that wasn't around until about 3 years after your stated timeframe and not popularized until the rise of Jerry Harvey and Ultimate Ears in the 90's.  You are correct in stating Yamaha as well as other Asian audio firms experimented with a form of orthodynamic/planar technology in headphones starting in the 70's.  Obravo is also an AMT (Air Motion Transformer) design, not quite same design philosophy as Audeze and other current generations of planar technology.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Motion_Transformer

Sep 2, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #124 of 7,348
I don't care too much about weight or looks, but if you decide to make an IEM, it should by all means be CLOSED. This is what people in the real world need. Open design defeats the purpose on an IEM, imo.

Sep 2, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #125 of 7,348
Really, the open vs closed debate is silly. We are arguing about two different functions as if they are tied together. Form factor vs privacy aren't necessarily tied together. If they were, where are all of you complaining about full size closed backs??

its the same thing, just with the roles reversed. smaller form factor but the benefits of open back sound works for me. if It doesn't work for you, don't buy it!

just like closed privacy with the benefits of full size form factor works for many of us.

just because its a new idea doesn't mean its bad, wrong, or stupid.

I say THANK YOU for pushing boundries, trying new ideas, and giving us something new and exciting to look forward to Audeze.

Sep 2, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #126 of 7,348
Really, the open vs closed debate is silly. We are arguing about two different functions as if they are tied together. Form factor vs privacy aren't necessarily tied together. If they were, where are all of you complaining about full size closed backs??

its the same thing, just with the roles reversed. smaller form factor but the benefits of open back sound works for me. if It doesn't work for you, don't buy it!

just like closed privacy with the benefits of full size form factor works for many of us.

just because its a new idea doesn't mean its bad, wrong, or stupid.

I say THANK YOU for pushing boundries, trying new ideas, and giving us something new and exciting to look forward to Audeze.

I'd have to agree with the original post, seems silly. If I'm at home or office or hotel room, why would I want a less comfortable and not as good sounding Iem over my full sized headphone. You can't expect the smaller magnet to sound just as good as a larger one, can't expect as large of a sound stage with the magnet being almost inside your ear. Yes it's a cool thought but seems impractical for an Iem. Also based on price point and how the lower priced sine over ears sound, I can't imagine they will sound anything like an LCD especially since they include both cables including a DAC at that price and they are very light in weight so I'm sure the magnet is very small.

Sep 2, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #127 of 7,348
I don't care too much about weight or looks, but if you decide to make an IEM, it should by all means be CLOSED. This is what people in the real world need. Open design defeats the purpose on an IEM, imo.

I love the idea of a nice open iem with the Audeze sound. When I'm listening at night, I like to use my VE Zen buds which are very open and they sound amazing! I can still hear if someone is yelling for me. I can still lay down and be relatively comfortable.

Sep 2, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #128 of 7,348
I love the idea of a nice open iem with the Audeze sound. When I'm listening at night, I like to use my VE Zen buds which are very open and they sound amazing! I can still hear if someone is yelling for me. I can still lay down and be relatively comfortable.

What about people who use IEM's around the house.,walking around,doing chores...etc...I do,and some time I have them connected to my desktop rig,most other times I have a portable setup,,when needed
No subways,no buses.{what the hell is the point of listening to an IEM,if you are on a NYC subway}.what the wife & I do..is walk down to the East river,crack open a bottle of wine,relax,,watch the river traffic..etc.

Open IEMS are a great idea,IMHO,and I will be trying out the new Audeze IEMS.
Hats off to Audeze..>

Mike

Sep 2, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #129 of 7,348
Sep 2, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #130 of 7,348
I'm definitely in the minority but I actually find these may meet my peculiar needs quite well - I'm very fond of Audeze's house sound and I live/work in fairly quiet cities where the Summer is excruciatingly hot (it's 100f out right now), wearing full sizeds gets super uncomfortable but if I want to use in ears instead in order to survive I have to give up a huge deal of sound quality.

With these maybe that'll cease to be the case, they do look ridiculous (so much so that they have a certain charm about them) but I care very little for that. Plus, with these on at work instead of regular iems maybe I won't ignore the helpful assistant for 10 minutes whilst she frantically knocks on the glass door.

All in all, this is such a weird design but I figure if I may have a use for them then others might too - especially folks who already own great sounding (C)IEMs for travelling/commuting as is. Looking forward to actual sound impressions however.

Count me as part of that minority. These seem to fit my wants quite well, and I don't need isolation at all. But an open planar IEM I can walk around the house, do yard work with is pretty compelling. And the price seems reasonable...

Sep 2, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #132 of 7,348
https://www.engadget.com/2016/09/02/audeze-isine-oculus-rift/

Interesting article about how Audeze worked with Oculus to make the new iSine series compatible with the Oculus Rift. Pretty neat read.

Sep 2, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #133 of 7,348
I auditioned an almost final pair at Audeze when I was in the US. There was some seriously good sound coming from them, enough that I reckon they will seriously challenge high-end IEMs. However I don't remember how well they isolate, so that may limit how they can be used to some degree.

Sep 2, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #134 of 7,348

Funny.. i always considered myself a real person, but i guess if i want this i must not be.  I mean, who could possibly imagine somebody else with a different use case.. surely every IEM must conform to only one standard, and all must look like each other. How silly of me..

Sep 2, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #135 of 7,348
  Funny.. i always considered myself a real person, but i guess if i want this i must not be.  I mean, who could possibly imagine somebody else with a different use case.. surely every IEM must conform to only one standard, and all must look like each other. How silly of me..

I understand it when people explain why they dislike something, but I really get confused by people who try and convince others they SHOULDN'T like something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back