Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
Sep 2, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #136 of 7,352
  They were referring to IEM's, a niche that wasn't around until about 3 years after your stated timeframe and not popularized until the rise of Jerry Harvey and Ultimate Ears in the 90's.  You are correct in stating Yamaha as well as other Asian audio firms experimented with a form of orthodynamic/planar technology in headphones starting in the 70's.  Obravo is also an AMT (Air Motion Transformer) design, not quite same design philosophy as Audeze and other current generations of planar technology.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Motion_Transformer

" Experimented with a form of "
You make it seem like it was some haphazard set of trials.
Not sure you realize how many technological developments, numbers of models, and countries.
rolleyes.gif
Yamaha :
See the tip right there...

■ Model ortho dynamic semi-open / closed type
■ diaphragm 20mm
■ Impedance 20Ω
■ Play frequency band 20-20,000Hz
■ allowable input 200mW
■ sensitivity 113dB / mW
■ code 2.4m straight cable detachable ■ Weight 120g (without cable)
■ released November 1978
■ discontinued 1983-84 circa

It's a different pistonic method of driver excursion though, and rare as hen's teeth, and obviously no longer in production.
But really who cares.
redface.gif
That's all old dusty history.

Time to focus on the thread at hand.

I'd be intensely interested in a comparison to the portable baby Stax still in production.
 =sell the Stax and get the Audeze.
Baby Stax can not be worn for tooo long or ears start to get a bit bothered.
I'd guess these Audeze would match if not exceed + sound superior given their diaphragm size, assuming tension is not overly tight.
just guessing.
Look a heck of a lot more comfortable, and I think the Audeze design is excellent looking
popcorn.gif

I mean look at some of the ridiculous bluetooth dongles people wear these days, these Audeze look awesome IMHO .
Not sure what the fuss is about open backs for portable use, don't mind that one bit myself.

At least the place up the road should be carrying them, if not Headphonebar is a good option here.
It's just clicking a few buttons and something real shows up at the door. Too easy.

Sep 2, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #137 of 7,352
  Audeze Rewrites the Rules for In-Ear Planar Magnetic Headphones
The iSINE Series and LCD i3 are the Latest Innovations in Planar Magnetic Technology

As one of the first in-ear planar magnetic headphones, the iSINE Series raises the bar for audiophile sound quality with lower distortion, superior bass response (flat to 10Hz!), and a wider soundstage than any other in-ear in its price category. Designed and assembled at Audeze’s California factory, they worked closely with strategic partner Designworks, a BMW Group Company.

I wish this said flat response to 10kHz.

Sep 2, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #138 of 7,352
Not sure you'd really like that as much as you think you would

Sep 3, 2016 at 2:28 AM Post #140 of 7,352
  You know with the design of this IEM, I'd want to replace the Audeze symbol with the Spiderman one.  The design basically looks like webbing.

Sep 3, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #141 of 7,352
I think it would have looked nicer if the grills were like little LCD-2s

Sep 3, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #142 of 7,352
Very interesting concept with a planar in an IEM which has also an open back design. If the open back has the same effect as it has for over ear headphones, it actually could be a great SQ improvement. I’m especially looking forward to hear and see if they can keep the nice rich Audeze house sound together with a bit faster and clearer transient response (from use of a smaller driver) all packed in a very light and easy to drive headphone.   

Sep 3, 2016 at 6:55 AM Post #146 of 7,352
I think another company named Obravo was the first to make planar IEMs. The SQ left too much to be desired and hence discarded. Audeze will be interesting if they successed. 

nick n already covered this topic.
Yamaha were the first to do so in 1978.

deadhorse.gif

Sep 3, 2016 at 7:09 AM Post #147 of 7,352
  " Experimented with a form of "
You make it seem like it was some haphazard set of trials.
Not sure you realize how many technological developments, numbers of models, and countries.
rolleyes.gif
Yamaha :
See the tip right there...

■ Model ortho dynamic semi-open / closed type
■ diaphragm 20mm
■ Impedance 20Ω
■ Play frequency band 20-20,000Hz
■ allowable input 200mW
■ sensitivity 113dB / mW
■ code 2.4m straight cable detachable ■ Weight 120g (without cable)
■ released November 1978
■ discontinued 1983-84 circa

It's a different pistonic method of driver excursion though, and rare as hen's teeth, and obviously no longer in production.
But really who cares.
redface.gif
That's all old dusty history.

Time to focus on the thread at hand.

I'd be intensely interested in a comparison to the portable baby Stax still in production.
 =sell the Stax and get the Audeze.
Baby Stax can not be worn for tooo long or ears start to get a bit bothered.
I'd guess these Audeze would match if not exceed + sound superior given their diaphragm size, assuming tension is not overly tight.
just guessing.
Look a heck of a lot more comfortable, and I think the Audeze design is excellent looking
popcorn.gif

I mean look at some of the ridiculous bluetooth dongles people wear these days, these Audeze look awesome IMHO .
Not sure what the fuss is about open backs for portable use, don't mind that one bit myself.

At least the place up the road should be carrying them, if not Headphonebar is a good option here.
It's just clicking a few buttons and something real shows up at the door. Too easy.

oBravo have two versions.....ERIB which is Planar and EAMT which is AMT driver. Both posses different sizes of dynamic driver built in too.

Regards

Phil

Sep 3, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #149 of 7,352
I know it's a completely different technology and a huge disparity between price points. But I think Shure really set the bar with the KSE1500. It's an electrostat in-ear that looks like a proper in-ear. Clearly, I don't know enough about planar diaphragm requirements but it would have been really cool if Audeze could have scaled this down a bit more. In its current form, it looks more prototypical than production-ready.

Sep 3, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #150 of 7,352
  this looks like what they call LCD i3. though i'm not sure.
seem to have shiny chrome finish like LCD-4 

Hmmm. Looks like it could be a ceramic. At $2500, I would hope so haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back