Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
Sep 3, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #166 of 7,353
  " Experimented with a form of "
You make it seem like it was some haphazard set of trials.
Not sure you realize how many technological developments, numbers of models, and countries.
rolleyes.gif
Yamaha :
See the tip right there...

■ Model ortho dynamic semi-open / closed type
■ diaphragm 20mm
■ Impedance 20Ω
■ Play frequency band 20-20,000Hz
■ allowable input 200mW
■ sensitivity 113dB / mW
■ code 2.4m straight cable detachable ■ Weight 120g (without cable)
■ released November 1978
■ discontinued 1983-84 circa

It's a different pistonic method of driver excursion though, and rare as hen's teeth, and obviously no longer in production.
But really who cares.
redface.gif
That's all old dusty history.

Time to focus on the thread at hand.

I'd be intensely interested in a comparison to the portable baby Stax still in production.
 =sell the Stax and get the Audeze.
Baby Stax can not be worn for tooo long or ears start to get a bit bothered.
I'd guess these Audeze would match if not exceed + sound superior given their diaphragm size, assuming tension is not overly tight.
just guessing.
Look a heck of a lot more comfortable, and I think the Audeze design is excellent looking
popcorn.gif

I mean look at some of the ridiculous bluetooth dongles people wear these days, these Audeze look awesome IMHO .
Not sure what the fuss is about open backs for portable use, don't mind that one bit myself.

At least the place up the road should be carrying them, if not Headphonebar is a good option here.
It's just clicking a few buttons and something real shows up at the door. Too easy.

Well that Yamaha YH-5M wasn't exactly an IEM, so you could say that the Audeze are the first. 

I do wonder how durable they are; I tend to rough up my IEMs a bit and that open back design does worry me a bit. But with thay being said, I also think the Audeze looks pretty neat, and after all how it sounds is the most important bit. I'll definitely give them a try once in my local shop.

Sep 3, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #167 of 7,353
The aesthetic design of these is such a head scratcher (and an eye gouger).

They state that DesignworksUSA helped design them.

What happened?!?  The design of the EL-8 and SINE look great, and then ....this.
blink.gif

I think the original lead designer must have left the company before it came time for them to design the iSine.

Sep 3, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #168 of 7,353
  The aesthetic design of these is such a head scratcher (and an eye gouger).

They state that DesignworksUSA helped design them.

What happened?!?  The design of the EL-8 and SINE look great, and then ....this.
blink.gif

I think the original lead designer must have left the company before it came time for them to design the iSine.

They must have had a three product contract with BMW. Audeze saved the best for last.

Audeze: "We really liked the work you guys have done for us. Now we want to put some huge planar diaphragms in IEMs. Your design will distract people from how huge and awkward they are."

BMW: "Do we have to?"

Audeze: "We have a contract so yes you do."

BMW: "Fine."

BMW (back at the office): "Give the project to the interns."

Sep 3, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #169 of 7,353
I, for one, don't find the size or design objectionable.

Audeze has built a strong reputation and loyal following since their inception. Anytime a company breaks the mold of how a particular product category should be, skepticism abounds. I have a feeling these IEMs will be well received once they're released.

Sep 3, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #170 of 7,353
1) It is a full range single diaphragm planar magnetic design.  Due to the nature of the driver design and due to the damping material we have used,  there is very little leakage outward. The sound level drops by 60dB by the time it reaches a meter outside the ear!
2) The geometry of driver housing along with the ear tip and damping material blocks a lot of ambient sound and provides reasonable passive isolation. Yes, you will hear gunshots from the outside. Light-sabers are inaudible.
3) Open design on IEMs allows comfortable and  long listening sessions without fatigue. The open and  light weight design along with incredible imaging, clarity and sound transparency of  our earphones would make you forget that you are even wearing them.
4) The LCD-i3 is more like an LCD4  put  through a shrink-ray, but much, much easier to drive - the impedance will be around 20-25 ohms. All of our in-ears can be driven directly by portable devices.
5) There is an audible advantage in coherency and clarity by using a single planar driver instead of dynamic voice coil divers or multiple drivers, like balanced armatures. 
6) Planar drivers helped us achieve a very good bass extension down to 10Hz and also helped us get a great treble extension that is quite uncommon in IEMs. When you hear them, you 'll realize no one has ever designed an in-ear with the overall coherency and bass response of the Audeze products. We are talking ruler-flat from 900Hz down to 10Hz. And the widest soundstage  of all the in ears we have heard.
7) No, we don't expect everyone to love them.
8) All iSINE and LCD-i3s are the same size. They differ in driver design, diaphragm materials, and finishes. We'll have more info on the LCD-i3 in a few weeks.
9)  By including the Lightning cable and having an affordable $399 price point, we are hoping to attract new people to the audiophile community. So we look at the iSINE 10 & 20 as the "next step up" for many customers; not a step down from the LCD series. iSine10 and 20 can stand on their own against most in-ears in the market over $1K easily. 

As one Audiophile reviewer commented at IFA after listening to them for the first time..."It sounds like the LCD2 when I heard it the first time"
The iSine's sound like no other in-ears. They are very different.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Sep 3, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #171 of 7,353
1) It is a full range single diaphragm planar magnetic design.  Due to the nature of the driver design and due to the damping material we have used,  there is very little leakage outward. The sound level drops by 60dB by the time it reaches a meter outside the ear!
2) The geometry of driver housing along with the ear tip and damping material blocks a lot of ambient sound and provides reasonable passive isolation. Yes, you will hear gunshots from the outside. Light-sabers are inaudible.
3) Open design on IEMs allows comfortable and  long listening sessions without fatigue. The open and  light weight design along with incredible imaging, clarity and sound transparency of  our earphones would make you forget that you are even wearing them.
4) The LCD-i3 is more like an LCD4  put  through a shrink-ray, but much, much easier to drive - the impedance will be around 20-25 ohms. All of our in-ears can be driven directly by portable devices.
5) There is an audible advantage in coherency and clarity by using a single planar driver instead of dynamic voice coil divers or multiple drivers, like balanced armatures. 
6) Planar drivers helped us achieve a very good bass extension down to 10Hz and also helped us get a great treble extension that is quite uncommon in IEMs. When you hear them, you 'll realize no one has ever designed an in-ear with the overall coherency and bass response of the Audeze products. We are talking ruler-flat from 900Hz down to 10Hz. And the widest soundstage  of all the in ears we have heard.
8) All iSINE and LCD-i3s are the same size. They differ in driver design, diaphragm materials, and finishes. We'll have more info on the LCD-i3 in a few weeks.
9)  By including the Lightning cable and having an affordable $399 price point, we are hoping to attract new people to the audiophile community. So we look at the iSINE 10 & 20 as the "next step up" for many customers; not a step down from the LCD series. iSine10 and 20 can stand on their own against most in-ears in the market over $1K easily. 

As one Audiophile reviewer commented at IFA after listening to them for the first time..."It sounds like the LCD2 when I heard it the first time"

Very cool.

I popped my email address and details on the pre-order site. It states shipping November, when am I likely to be notified that I can officially pre-order.

Sep 4, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #174 of 7,353
  I, for one, don't find the size or design objectionable.

Audeze has built a strong reputation and loyal following since their inception. Anytime a company breaks the mold of how a particular product category should be, skepticism abounds. I have a feeling these IEMs will be well received once they're released.

Hell Audeze's rep is for headphones that look goofy but sound incredible. No one's gonna tell me the LCD line looks especially sleek but man I wish I had a pair again. 

Sep 4, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #176 of 7,353

Hmmm... If they sound as described above, I take back all the mean stuff I said about the looks. C'mon! I've always loved you guys :)

Sep 4, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #177 of 7,353
open back = total fail....
That's pretty narrow minded but whatever it's your opinion. My biggest issue is with the $2500 for an IEM. This hobby is getting as ridiculous as speakers have gotten. Seems crazy to go from $400 to $600 all the way to $2500 for better materials. What materials are we talking about exactly.

Sep 4, 2016 at 1:19 AM Post #178 of 7,353
That's pretty narrow minded but whatever it's your opinion. My biggest issue is with the $2500 for an IEM. This hobby is getting as ridiculous as speakers have gotten. Seems crazy to go from $400 to $600 all the way to $2500 for better materials. What materials are we talking about exactly.

Shure KSE1000 is $3000, but admittedly that comes with a dedicated amp.

I don't see the problem with the flagship being stupid expensive. It's no different than things like the Abyss or Chord DAVE. Boutique products for people who are willing to spend whatever it costs to get "the best". We mortals can just be content with the iSines. 

Sep 4, 2016 at 1:26 AM Post #179 of 7,353

For me IEM are primarily for sound isolation and what they were orginally designed for so musicians did not go deaf trying to hear the monitors.

These will probably sound fine but they are not for me.

Sep 4, 2016 at 1:41 AM Post #180 of 7,353
I'd be very curious to hear if they project much more sound than regular ol' non-IEM earbuds. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back