Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
Jan 30, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #1,201 of 7,352
got my 20's.  sending them back.  The sound without the cyper is not salvageable.  the mids are very honky, the highs are too much, and there's not enough bass.
eq alone can't tame them, especially mids issues. There is just way too much echo/reverb in the sound tube. I understand now why their dsp for the cypher cable is so complex. The stock sound is a mess.

with the cypher cable, huge improvement, but still needs work. still not enough bass, highs still too sparkly, and mids still not right. still a bit honky.  I am sure i could get a passable eq setting eventually, but there is no way i could get the 1/8 cable sounding anywhere close to the eq'd cyper cable.  For me that's a deal breaker.

If these had the sound of the cypher cable without the cypher cable, I'd probably keep them, eq them to my liking and be quite pleased.
Overall these just can't compete with my westone es5 customs (also eq'd slightly) 

that said, they are very comfortable, and fit well easily.  I could only get the ear hooks to work. they are not so easy to get off and on though i'm sure i'd get used to it.
the flat cable is annoying, it's not flexible enough.

These have potential, but for now, to my ears, they are too flawed.

Jan 30, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #1,203 of 7,352
got my 20's.  sending them back.  The sound without the cyper is not salvageable.  the mids are very honky, the highs are too much, and there's not enough bass.
eq alone can't tame them, especially mids issues. There is just way too much echo/reverb in the sound tube. I understand now why their dsp for the cypher cable is so complex. The stock sound is a mess.

with the cypher cable, huge improvement, but still needs work. still not enough bass, highs still too sparkly, and mids still not right. still a bit honky.  I am sure i could get a passable eq setting eventually, but there is no way i could get the 1/8 cable sounding anywhere close to the eq'd cyper cable.  For me that's a deal breaker.

If these had the sound of the cypher cable without the cypher cable, I'd probably keep them, eq them to my liking and be quite pleased.
Overall these just can't compete with my westone es5 customs (also eq'd slightly) 

that said, they are very comfortable, and fit well easily.  I could only get the ear hooks to work. they are not so easy to get off and on though i'm sure i'd get used to it.
the flat cable is annoying, it's not flexible enough.

These have potential, but for now, to my ears, they are too flawed.

Everyone knows the cipher cable sounds better on all there products. Get a i touch and sell your dap.

Jan 30, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #1,204 of 7,352
I've gotta say, I can't get the app eq perfect, but I've got it sounding pretty darn good!
If there was a way to have these settings through any source I would almost certainly keep them.  There is just no way i can justify keeping headphones that will only sound good through the cypher cable. 
Even with the cipher cable, the app eq is not really enough to really dial in the sound perfectly. 

Jan 30, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #1,205 of 7,352
Damn, a deal popped up faster than I expected. Couldn't say no to that. This was on touch of modern btw, where I had some credit hanging out for a rainy day. Not sure if the deal is still available or not.

Jan 31, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #1,206 of 7,352

I don't know if it's only me but I don't like the reproduction of voices, female especially. When I'm listening to songs from Sia, Norah Jones or Katie Melua I always feel like pumping up the 500Hz - 8 KHz area in the mobile app. So I assume that I don't like the mids and lower highs? 

I assume you are using the Cipher cable. Do you feel the same with the analog cable? Based on what you are describing, I get the feeling that you may like the analog cable better.

Couple of other things to try:
  • When doing an EQ, it is  preferable to cut rather than boost when possible. You can try bringing down the bass and the highs instead. When you boost frequency bands using the  app, auto-leveling kicks in to prevent clipping, so the overall volume goes down depending on how much you boosted. You may have to bring the volume back up proportionally.
  • You could also play with the fit/seal a little to see if you see any improvement.

Jan 31, 2017 at 2:49 AM Post #1,209 of 7,352
i've gotta say with more tweaking on the audeze eq app, cypher cable of course,  I'm VERY impressed with the sound i'm getting.  If only I could reproduce it on the analog cable.  :frowning2:

I think it would be interesting for someone with a vibro veritas or some basic measurement device to measure how the sound is different with the cipher cable. Accurate? Probably not. But it would be a glimpse of what exactly the DSP is doing.

Jan 31, 2017 at 6:21 AM Post #1,213 of 7,352
Jan 31, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #1,214 of 7,352
Damn, a deal popped up faster than I expected. Couldn't say no to that. This was on touch of modern btw, where I had some credit hanging out for a rainy day. Not sure if the deal is still available or not.

Good deal. Only hesitation would have been the final sale part, especially considering the new design. However you should do ok reselling if need be based on the price you got.

Interestingly, on the website it states they are not eligible for promos. What code did you use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back