Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
Feb 1, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #1,233 of 7,352
  Do you think that this Apple Pencil adapter would work to listen to the iSine+Cypher directly thru USB on computer/etc...?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D5NR70E?psc=1

The cable you've linked is not Apple MFI certified and the page specifically calls out that it's not meant as a Lightning extender, so I'm thinking that it doesn't work the way you want it to.

Feb 1, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #1,236 of 7,352
  So the consensus is that these sound much better with the Cipher cable than say with a Mojo?

If purchased with the Cipher cable, do you also get a normal analogue cable too?

while i can see Audeze wanting to pair them together for simplicity and nicer, lighter more portable footprint,
let's hope that is not the case...esp when so many of us have our own portable dac/amps, daps, etc

Feb 1, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #1,237 of 7,352
  while i can see Audeze wanting to pair them together for simplicity and nicer, lighter more portable footprint,
let's hope that is not the case...esp when so many of us have our own portable dac/amps, daps, etc

Yes thats what I was hoping. Don't get me wrong, I think its great that the cipher cable sounds good, I'd want it to. If I brought these I'd probably use them mostly with my iPhone. But I would also use them with my Mojo.
Yes If you buy cypher version it comes with both cables

Thanks

Feb 1, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #1,238 of 7,352
Ive got eq settings in process that i am very happy with For both cables. I am amazed what these headphines can do!

They are very comfortable. not as comfy as my customs. If the customs are a 10 and most iems ive tried are a 5. Id give these a 9 for comfort

Feb 1, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #1,239 of 7,352
Agreed. Took a couple days to get used to the in ear hooks but they're great now, from the gym to the desk.

My quick recap of the 10 with 3.5mm no EQ so far with the 20 getting in tomorrow or friday:

- Very open/airy. Just as open, if not a bit more than my HD700. Basically no isolation low/no volume.

- Surprisingly little leakage. If the HD700 is a 10/10(rated by my GF in a quiet living room), the 10 is a 3/10 when perceived volume matched. Leaks a little less than apple air pods.

- Good imaging in every direction. Where the HD700 gets a little fuzzy center soundstage, the 10s are near pinpoint throughout.

- Soundstage a hair smaller than the HD700, a solid bit larger than the Nighthawk.

- Bass is quick, very good extension. I can "feel" EQ changes in the 10-20hz range where the HD700 doesn't respond or respond very little.

- Mids much more full than the HD700, but that was expected.

- Highs are, again as expected, more tame than the HD700 but still carry plenty of detail. Just enough to get all the tingly good stuff without being too fatiguing.

- More of a "wet" overall sound. The HD700 were mainly clinical, slightly "fun" to me(I like their bass and treble, don't crucify me), these are much more fun but manage to be just as precise, resolving, and snappy.The main thing I miss was a sort of "crack" the HD700s gave to bass kicks. I think it was more a trick of the tuning, but I'll live.

- If the HD700s are a 10 in comfort(they are to me), these are a solid 8-9. Sometimes the ear hook pressure can cause a bit of a sore point after 3-4 hours. A quick break fixes that.

- If you're a low volume listener, these should be on your radar. They do low volume very well.

- These are the best I've heard for gaming so far. I'm chalking that up to the great imaging with large soundstage but straight into your ear.

So far my preferred EQ(if any) is a +4db bump to the 31hz range, +3db bump to 62, -2db to 2k, +2db to 4k, +4 to 8k, +3 to 16k. But I've been leaning more towards just getting used to the stock signature.

In summary I'm over the moon with the unique presentation of the music with these. Having that big airy openness with great imaging being pumped directly into your ear canal is really awesome and IMO a step forward in portable headphones and headphones in general. The only issue I see is these falling into a negative echo chamber with people looking them over thinking(like I thought a couple weeks ago) "when would I use these?" The answer to me has been all the time, everywhere. For purchasing decisions, these should be seen as a unique full size set with a novel presentation that can be wrapped up into a tiny carrying case and used anywhere apple airpod levels of leakage are tolerated.

The main negative is Audeze basically killed 3 other products with this release imo. To me, the regular Sine, EL8 and EL8c are just not in the picture anymore compared even to just the i10 with analog cable. Hopefully I get to hear the LCD series one day, and the LCD in ear that I've seen talk about.

Comparisons to the i20 (hopefully)tomorrow

Feb 2, 2017 at 2:25 AM Post #1,240 of 7,352
I had a couple of things to ask about - apologize if this has already been discussed. 
@Audeze - for the 24b cipher cable, what would be the maximum sampling rate that is supported 48K/96K/192KHz? 

Also, is anyone having problems with the output nozzle being too big to fit into the ear canal? I tried the silicone tips that came with the isine10, but they all seem to be of the same size and are big for my ear canals. Wonder how custom-molded-earbuds (such as earsound.com) would work with the isines. 

By the way, the isines are truly some of the best IEMs (if they can be so called) I've heard - thanks Audeze!

Feb 2, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #1,243 of 7,352
Has anyone tried the cipher cable on another IEM or Custom IEM? I am considering to buy my first pair of custom IEM's so the cipher cable would be a great way to Play Music with my iphone.

The cipher cable has digital tuning/EQ done specific for iSines. If you use it with other iems, the chances are you will not like how it sounds and you may have to do some eq.

Feb 2, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #1,245 of 7,352
I believe any headphone even the very best, can be made to sound better with EQ. I have EQed LCD-4, Focal Utopia and HE-1K and always preferred the EQd version. It is not that the they  were made to sound worse without EQ, they can be improved with EQ. 

The analog cable is just that, a conductor that transmits the analog signal to the iSines, the analog cable cannot be tuned beyond the choice of the conductor. With Cipher cable, we had an option to either use just the DAC and Amp section or also leverage the DSP to do digital tuning (i.e., EQ). It would be unfair to hold back leveraging the DSP just to make it sound the same as analog cable.

Full disclosure: I am responsible for all things digital at Audeze (including the Cipher cable).  I am an Android user and do not use a iDevice other than for R&D. I primarily listen to iSines through the analog Analog cable. 

Totally agree with this. Does Android have a system-wide EQ, unlike iOS? Would it be possible for you to post your default EQ with the Cipher cable? Does the Cipher just use the ten-band EQ exposed in the Audeze app, or is there more going on (e.g., PEQ)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back