Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
Feb 3, 2017 at 3:38 AM Post #1,263 of 7,352
Any word on the audeze $2,500 IEM that I'm forgetting the name of? Last I remember, the model was a bit camera shy but they were gonna drop some photos one of these months, and when I just checked the audeze website, the model's missing entirely.
blink.gif

Feb 3, 2017 at 5:02 AM Post #1,264 of 7,352
  Any word on the audeze $2,500 IEM that I'm forgetting the name of? Last I remember, the model was a bit camera shy but they were gonna drop some photos one of these months, and when I just checked the audeze website, the model's missing entirely.
blink.gif

they mentioned tenative release plans or dates a few pages back. I don't remember any of it though :wink:
I think its the i3? maybe search for it?  bottom line, it's happening.

Feb 3, 2017 at 5:53 AM Post #1,265 of 7,352
  On many devices, android supports a system wide EQ and there are various apps both paid and free that are available in the app store. As with anything android, it is hard to make any generalizations. 
Though I have seen apps that do 5 band eq or add ambiance/surround at a system level, I am not aware an app that would supports PEQ or convolution on a system wide level. My preferred app on Android is HF player (it does not provide PEQ, but has enough granularity to fine tune), except you cannot use it with streaming media such as Tidal.

As an Android user myself, I am painfully aware of the demand for a Cipher cable for the android users. All I can say is we are actively working on it but do not have an ETA yet.The Android market is much more diverse and a challenge to support. As for the USB-C support, though USB-C connector is different and not backward compatible with USB 2, the USB 3.1 standard is backward compatible. It would be  straightforward to make the android version work with both USB-C and Micro-USB.

We see the Cipher cable as a potent DSP platform and not just as a DAC/Amp. Some of the ideas we have for the platform in the future include being able to do virtual stereo or room emulation, improving impulse response, allowing users to select from multiple 'tunings' to name a few. 

The tuning the Cipher cable is based on PEQ and does not use the 10 band EQ presented by the Audeze App. We arrived at the current tuning used for Cipher based on analysis of numerous measurements we made using iSines on both dummy heads and real people while using different tips and also through listening tests and user feedback. We then tried to match the average response to what we perceive as the ideal curve. 

I understand that when it comes to EQ, there is no 'one size fits all'. While the lack of Pinna and concha resonances makes it little easier to measure, fit and seal causes some degree of variability between users.  For the tweakers like me, who like to play with EQ, here is a close approximation of the EQ we use in Cipher cable that I created using DMG Equilibrium. You can use this as a starting point or reference and change it further and share it with this community for the benefit of other users.

We have shared a similar EQ profile with Waves Audio for their NX plugin. We are also working with few software players to provide Audeze Presets for iSines and our to other headphones too. We are willing to share presets in other formats too for use with your favorite players or plugins. I will try to start a poll to see what is preferred.

Suggestion: why don't you develop/license a third party Android app for system wide PEQ/DSP and sell it on Google Play store with your factory preset in it? A really simple and nice temporary solution. Let people use the analog cable with your preset with the internal or external DAC/amp they choose. Later you can sell the all-in-one solution which is Cipher cable for Android.
In the same lines, a licensed VST with your PEQ preset in it would be fabulous for home studio owners.

Feb 3, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #1,266 of 7,352

The iSine20 has a longer voice coil, which leads to better control of the diaphragm and results noticeable improvement in clarity and smoothness, tonally they are very close. The longer circuit on the 20's results in increased impedance, so when trying to do A/B with 10 and 20 care needs to be taken to match levels. I prefer iSine20 over the iSine10s and drive iSine20 using my Mojo + HF player on my Samsung S7 or Roon -> HQPlayer -> Mojo from my MacBook Air. iSine20s scales nicely with my source/amp.

Sorry, what voice-coil? I thought this didn't haven't a voice-coil as such? I get the impedance difference though.
Are you talking about the length/extent of the etched circuit on the diaphragm?

Feb 3, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #1,267 of 7,352
Sorry, what voice-coil? I thought this didn't haven't a voice-coil as such? I get the impedance difference though.
Are you talking about the length/extent of the etched circuit on the diaphragm?

Yes, we sometimes refer to the current carrying circuit on the thin film diaphragm as voice coil, though technically it is not a coil. voice-circuit may have been a better term.

Feb 3, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #1,268 of 7,352
Suggestion: why don't you develop/license a third party Android app for system wide PEQ/DSP and sell it on Google Play store with your factory preset in it? A really simple and nice temporary solution. Let people use the analog cable with your preset with the internal or external DAC/amp they choose. Later you can sell the all-in-one solution which is Cipher cable for Android.
In the same lines, a licensed VST with your PEQ preset in it would be fabulous for home studio owners.

Good suggestions, we have thought about those too. We do not have in-house software developers so we try to stay away from software development and support where possible. Especially trying to develop  for android and then trying to support all flavors and devices would be quite difficult without a software team.

Feb 3, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #1,269 of 7,352
  Good suggestions, we have thought about those too. We do not have in-house software developers so we try to stay away from software development and support where possible. Especially trying to develop  for android and then trying to support all flavors and devices would be quite difficult without a software team.

Sure, that is where the third party licensing comes in. Or even better yet, if you release your official PEQ and FIR presets and let the users choose the app/VST they wish, similar to what you already showed on your print of DMG Equilibrium.

Feb 3, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #1,270 of 7,352

Thanks for calrifying. Is the only difference, physically, between the 10 and the 20?
  Yes, we sometimes refer to the current carrying circuit on the thin film diaphragm as voice coil, though technically it is not a coil. voice-circuit may have been a better term.

Thanks for clarifying.
Is that the only difference, physically, between the 10 and the 20? (not including the colour)

Feb 3, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #1,271 of 7,352
  Sure, that is where the third party licensing comes in. Or even better yet, if you release your official PEQ and FIR presets and let the users choose the app/VST they wish, similar to what you already showed on your print of DMG Equilibrium.

The DMG preset I posted shows the PEQ parameters that you can plug into your favorite plugin and is the equivalent of the PEQ used in the Cipher cable. Is there a specific format you are looking for? We can also make available FIR filters in wav format. 

Feb 3, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #1,272 of 7,352
  The DMG preset I posted shows the PEQ parameters that you can plug into your favorite plugin and is the equivalent of the PEQ used in the Cipher cable. Is there a specific format you are looking for? We can also make available FIR filters in wav format. 

For my side I think that PEQ is enough, though one last question: is the Cipher PEQ setting the same for both iSine 10 and 20? And your PEQ settings also apply to both?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back