Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
Feb 3, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #1,279 of 7,352
Disclaimer, the following statements come after only an hour or so of A/Bing the 10 and 20 with the 3.5mm cable and is all in my opinion.

The 20 is simply not worth the retail $200 markup over the 10. I get a little better instrument separation  on the 20. Treble is a little toned down vs the 10 with treble overall being cleaner, less splashy. If I squint my ears, maybe there's some more bass impact and speed. Soundstage is the same on both units, maybe feeling a hair smaller on the 20 because of the treble being a notch lower. Overall the majority of the sound difference is in the treble region and it's not a huge enough change to warrant $200 more, again in my opinion from a relatively short comparison.

Now the cipher cable IS worth the $50 increase in price. I really like the default eq and dsp enhancements and convenience over my Creative E5.

The 10 with cipher cable(if you own an i device) is the sweet spot for dollars:audio. If you can find a stupid deal and pay like $20 to upgrade to the 20 like I did, go for it. The sound quality change is worth maybe $50 and if you listen to music more passively, like while gaming or reading, you will probably not notice after zoning out of "audio review mode".

The colors on the 20 are sick though. I didn't realize the housing was a different color too, I thought just the grill was changes. The housing on the 20 is like a metallic dark black/brown with a vague hint of purple while the 10 is just flat black.

So now having tried both with and without cipher, kudos to Audeze on the 10. It's an amazing bit of new tech in the headphone world and has a really nice quality to price ratio even at launch MSRP. On the other hand, the 20 feels like a cash grab directed to the upgradeitis crowd or people who just want to own the highest end of a line. While there is an objective improvement, it's not really worth the $200. 

Feb 3, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #1,280 of 7,352
  Any word on the audeze $2,500 IEM that I'm forgetting the name of? Last I remember, the model was a bit camera shy but they were gonna drop some photos one of these months, and when I just checked the audeze website, the model's missing entirely.
blink.gif

LCD-i3s... an audeze rep told me they're shooting for summertime (give or take).
$2k plus... no thanks.

Feb 3, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #1,281 of 7,352
I won't say the 20 is designed to be a cash grab... I personally feel that the 10 and 20 are tuned differently enough that people who like the 20 will pay for it. For me personally, I prefer the 10 so even if the 10 and 20 are priced equally, I would have still gotten the 10.

Feb 3, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #1,282 of 7,352
The thing is I don't feel they're tuned differently. And the fact that the cipher cable uses the same EQ and DSP filter for both kinda backs that up. I don't feel like the tuning was different in the 20 at all, it just seemed to have more control over the treble range. It sounded like the same headphone as the 10 just "cleaned up" so to speak. A little more instrument separation, noticeably better treble control, but that's about it as far as sure things go in my observation, which I will concede was short. As always everyone should take what I say, and what others say, with a grain of salt but my conclusion was that the 10s offer nearly the same experience as the 20s. And the main change with the 20s was what? A larger printed circuit and different transducer design? Why wouldn't audeze just make that transducer and that voice-circuit the main ones and only release one model? Does it cost that much more money to print a circuit that's a small amount larger?

I really want to know what the marketing decision was behind creating two models when there shouldn't really be a price difference in production of the two models. That's the main part that gets me. From a material cost, both isines should cost the same for audeze to make so they're charging $200 for what then? Extra R&D on the different design?

Feb 4, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #1,283 of 7,352
Will the LCD-i3 be present as demos at CanJam London? Do you predict we could buy them on the spot? (Same question for the iSine 10 and 20).

I read this whole thread from 1-86p. Now backtracking and reading the Sine on-ear (made it to pg.94). While I dig the look of the Sine on-ear so much I'd give it a 9.5/10 personally (Ether C being a 10), I made the jump on the Aeon (which look-wise I find 7.5/10), so that leaves out the Sine on-ear as a purchase.
But I admit these iSine got me very very curious. Not to the point I'd be willing to say resell my ciems or buy the i10 blind, but I wouldn't say dismiss it because of its 'affordable' price vs my ciems (would be silly to think like that).
That being said, I'm still awaiting proper impressions from other headfiers here. I quite surprised too become some here have serious ciem/totl iems, so I'm really curious if the iSine semi-open planar magnetic approach is a game changer for ultra portable gear.
I'd love it if I could audition these in April at the UK meet but I doubt they'd be there; sadly I highly doubt I can find any iSine here in Belgium to try out.

Feb 4, 2017 at 4:02 AM Post #1,284 of 7,352
The thing is I don't feel they're tuned differently. And the fact that the cipher cable uses the same EQ and DSP filter for both kinda backs that up. I don't feel like the tuning was different in the 20 at all, it just seemed to have more control over the treble range. It sounded like the same headphone as the 10 just "cleaned up" so to speak. A little more instrument separation, noticeably better treble control, but that's about it as far as sure things go in my observation, which I will concede was short. As always everyone should take what I say, and what others say, with a grain of salt but my conclusion was that the 10s offer nearly the same experience as the 20s. And the main change with the 20s was what? A larger printed circuit and different transducer design? Why wouldn't audeze just make that transducer and that voice-circuit the main ones and only release one model? Does it cost that much more money to print a circuit that's a small amount larger?

I really want to know what the marketing decision was behind creating two models when there shouldn't really be a price difference in production of the two models. That's the main part that gets me. From a material cost, both isines should cost the same for audeze to make so they're charging $200 for what then? Extra R&D on the different design?

Very pleased you replied. To be honest that's why I asked the question about the physical difference between the two, hoping someone who's heard both would chime in. I'll certainly try to hear both and then decide whether the small differences and the finish is worth the extra. Each to his own in the end though exactly as you've said

Feb 4, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #1,286 of 7,352
Hello i've been on the search for an iem for a ehile and completely forgot about these,im just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of how these would sound paired with the HTC 10 and Aune B1 2016 compared to the cipher cable alone as I don't own any apple products. I'm interested in the iSINE 10

Feb 4, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #1,287 of 7,352
While I can't speak specifically to the HTC 10, the audio guy behind the Cipher cable posted the EQ used for the cable. I'm using it through my PC and getting really nice results even without the additional DSP filtering in the cipher. They already sound really nice and the iSine 10 punches above its price even without an EQ so I don't think you can go wrong with it and your HTC 10. Give the EQ posted a try and don't forget about Audeze's 30 day return policy.

Feb 4, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #1,288 of 7,352
received my iSine20 from HB in Vanc a few days ago...travis is the man btw...

working on more detailed summary...

but....these things have NO business sounding this good out a stoopid iDevice...

spotify/tidal is OK...can actually decipher losses easier...FLACs are freaky good....

these things are spooky people....

Feb 4, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #1,289 of 7,352
Does anyone know if the iSine VR is identical to the iSine 10, other than the connector? More importantly, if one were to purchase the iSine VR to use primarily with an Oculus Rift, would it be possible to occasionally swap out the connector to use the iSine VR instead with a DAP?

Feb 4, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #1,290 of 7,352
While I can't speak specifically to the HTC 10, the audio guy behind the Cipher cable posted the EQ used for the cable. I'm using it through my PC and getting really nice results even without the additional DSP filtering in the cipher. They already sound really nice and the iSine 10 punches above its price even without an EQ so I don't think you can go wrong with it and your HTC 10. Give the EQ posted a try and don't forget about Audeze's 30 day return policy.
Will the Eq work even without the Cipher? And i'm beyond impressed with my HTC 10 especially when I pair it with the Shozy Magic, to me it sounds much better than tje Fiio X3 amd poweramp alpha also helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back