Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
Mar 28, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #4,996 of 7,352
I have tried a few eq settings posted from this thread. Audio from the laptop still sounds much worse than with the cipher cable. Which is why I am looking into improving my portable setup so I am not chained down to only using the cipher cable when I am away from home.

Mar 28, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #4,997 of 7,352
Would a portable dac/amp be a worthwhile purchase to use with the isine 10? I almost exclusively use these on the go with my laptop and iphone w/ cipher cable. The laptop on-board sound is pretty lackluster. Would an iFi nano iDSD Black Label or a similar product be a significant enough upgrade to justify a purchase?

I have the isine10’s with cipher that I use when on walks by my apt or if i’m just going to read a book and plug in on my iphone. I’ve tried the isines on my black label and they sounded nice and full with the xbass switch, but honestly when i’m at home i’d rather be using a full size headphone on it.

Then I use the new $100 iBasso IEMs with the $30 Xtremepro USB DAC which is essentially the old 1.2 Dragonfly DAC for my portable setup on my laptop when at work or coffee shops. very nice bang for the buck setup. Minimal setup required and not cumbersome to wear.

Mar 28, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #4,998 of 7,352
I have tried a few eq settings posted from this thread. Audio from the laptop still sounds much worse than with the cipher cable. Which is why I am looking into improving my portable setup so I am not chained down to only using the cipher cable when I am away from home.

If you don't already have a decent DAP or dac/amp setup, and you want to have options other than the cipher cable, then yeah, go for it.

Although if you're happy with the cipher cable's performance but just don't want to drain your phone's battery while you're working on your laptop, another option is to get a dongle like Belkin sells that's basically a lightning splitter, letting you connect the cipher cable and a charging cable at the same time.

(FWIW I use my iSine 20 mainly with a Shanling M3s and an ALO CDM (balanced in both cases).)

Mar 29, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #5,001 of 7,352
Regarding the question about using DAC with iSines, it’s definitely worth to try. I use iSine 20 with Mojo and EqAPO and Audeze plug-in and it is definitely step up from Cipher cable. Dragonfly Red would be also good if you are on budget.

Mar 30, 2018 at 4:51 AM Post #5,002 of 7,352
any more comparisons between V1 and V2 Cipher cables?

I will probably sell the V1 since I have no need for a spare cable...

Mar 30, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #5,003 of 7,352
Just received iSine10 and after about an hour of listening through the cipher cable, I can say these are, overall, just as good if not better than any headphone I’ve owned:

DITA Truth
1more Quad
Alphadogs
Audio technica w1000
Akg k701
Some other iems in the 200-400 range that I can’t think of

Initial impressions (I’m no pro):

Wide open sound stage, similar to the akg, but not as tinny, because of a deep and smooth, yet realistic bass extension, and rolled off highs (there sounds like they put in an artificial cap here, but it doesn’t bother me).

Detail retrieval is excellent throughout the entire range, although obviously sq could be improved from a purely technical perspective.

The bass is what stands out to me: thick, deep, but liquid smooth - I’ve never heard this before, but that must be what people are always raving about with audeze (only have demod the lcd 2 and honestly wasn’t that impressed, but it wasn’t for very long).

Mids are nice and imo well placed (although for some I think they could sound slightly recessed).

Really shines with laid pack, non offensive music, but no slouch in hip hop

The main thing I love is how everything just flows together, and no effort needs to be put in to “make the sound make sense”. Very coherent.

Those are my thoughts

Edit: one thing I would add is that rock does sound slightly muddled, if listening to the Mars Volta. May be the band though.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #5,005 of 7,352
I'd argue the iSine LX is 90% of the isine10 in terms of performance and is by far the single best bang for buck in ear(I own both). I've spent years buying IEM's from Sony, 1more, DUNU, Shure, Noble, and many others including Chi-Fi models and Audeze I think has something special here. I once owned a unicorn Audeze LCD2 and OMG I loved them(why did I sell them facepalm). I will eventually purchase and LCD2C when I can afford to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back