Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
Sep 14, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #3,556 of 7,352
Ok, as far as comfort goes with the ear hooks I thought I'd try something.
I bought a metre of silicon tubing (3mm inside dia. and 5mm outside) - http://amzn.eu/gKqbJ5I
Then, using a tiny amount of oil to help it go on, slid (carefully worked) a piece onto each of the ear hooks. The theory is to spread out any pressure points over a larger area.
So far I'm finding them a lot more comfortable. I did wonder if there a neoprene equivalent but didn't manage to find any.

APC_0072.jpg APC_0073.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2017 at 5:28 AM Post #3,559 of 7,352
Nice outcome @davehutch, I wonder if multiple layers of heatshrink would work (and not melt the earhooks).
Might well work, but my concern would be that it would stiffen the ear hook so the pressure on parts of the ear would increase. As this tubing is loose and very flexible, it has no effect in that way. I do still need to think about making a bend in the hook so they sit closer to my head, but that would definitely involve a slight 'melting' which I'm reluctant to attempt.

Sep 15, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #3,560 of 7,352
After many hours of trial with different devices, I have pretty much settled with the EQ presets which sound best to my ears. Of course each DAPs have different EQ implementations so it's difficult to create an exact match that will make all DAPs sound the same with the iSine20.

But the idea is common for all DAPs (boost 100-200Hz and below by 6 dB cut between 1-2 Khz by 5 - 7dB then boost between 2 - 7 Khz by 12dB.) 8Khz and above usually doesn't need to be touched.

With iSine20 and EQ preset. It rendered my expensive ciems now virtually unlistenable. Switching from iSine20 then to any ciems I have it''s very clear to my ear that the iSine has much superior SQ. Timbre, clarity and imaging is more natural, and I think more precise with iSine20 and it makes my ciem sound artificial or lacking something somewhere. The iSine20 also appears to sound bigger and fuller. The only thing my ciem holds in their favor against iSine20 is isolation. But this is becoming moot, as I have been using the iSine20 while outside I have adjusted to it's open-back design. It doesn't seem to matter while in the mall or a coffee shop. It is only completely unusable inside a plane.

NT-6 which I considered the clarity, imaging, and detail champion feels like no match with the iSine20. If I switch between the 2, NT-6 now sound somewhat artificial. Though it can match extracting details after details with the iSine20. iSine20 just made me realize it's flaws (e.g. too short of a reverb in cymbals or not much depth on a kickdrum, etc.)

I think the iSine20 with EQ is comparable with my full-size headsets as far as SQ characteristics are concern. It actually takes some head-time away from my Aeon. I also think it can also hold it's own against my HD800, my Stax-007A or HE-6. I am not saying iSine20 is better than these legends but it has some of the best qualities of each of these headphones.

If I get stranded on an island, I think iSine20 is the only headphone I'm going to need. :L3000:

Sep 15, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #3,561 of 7,352
After many hours of trial with different devices, I have pretty much settled with the EQ presets which sound best to my ears. Of course each DAPs have different EQ implementations so it's difficult to create an exact match that will make all DAPs sound the same with the iSine20.

But the idea is common for all DAPs (boost 100-200Hz and below by 6 dB cut between 1-2 Khz by 5 - 7dB then boost between 2 - 7 Khz by 12dB.) 8Khz and above usually doesn't need to be touched.

With iSine20 and EQ preset. It rendered my expensive ciems now virtually unlistenable. Switching from iSine20 then to any ciems I have it''s very clear to my ear that the iSine has much superior SQ. Timbre, clarity and imaging is more natural, and I think more precise with iSine20 and it makes my ciem sound artificial or lacking something somewhere. The iSine20 also appears to sound bigger and fuller. The only thing my ciem holds in their favor against iSine20 is isolation. But this is becoming moot, as I have been using the iSine20 while outside I have adjusted to it's open-back design. It doesn't seem to matter while in the mall or a coffee shop. It is only completely unusable inside a plane.

NT-6 which I considered the clarity, imaging, and detail champion feels like no match with the iSine20. If I switch between the 2, NT-6 now sound somewhat artificial. Though it can match extracting details after details with the iSine20. iSine20 just made me realize it's flaws (e.g. too short of a reverb in cymbals or not much depth on a kickdrum, etc.)

I think the iSine20 with EQ is comparable with my full-size headsets as far as SQ characteristics are concern. It actually takes some head-time away from my Aeon. I also think it can also hold it's own against my HD800, my Stax-007A or HE-6. I am not saying iSine20 is better than these legends but it has some of the best qualities of each of these headphones.

If I get stranded on an island, I think iSine20 is the only headphone I'm going to need. :L3000:
Pretty much how I feel about them

Sep 15, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #3,562 of 7,352
If you have a DX200. Install @Lurker0 latest FW. Use 3rd Party Player with USB Audio and you will have a excellent DSP at your disposal. I use UAPP and installed the PMEQ plug-in. It works very well with iSine20. Neutron also has a very good DSP/EQ plugin.

Sep 16, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #3,563 of 7,352
Went into the Appl Store to have my Apple Watch repaired, ended up walking out with a pair of iSine10.

They may just be the best headphones I've ever heard, but the fit is pretty odd and lackluster. Finding it difficult to get a comfortable fit. The sound is detailed, spacious, and beautiful, but it sounds thin as if the fit isn't quite perfect. The right side is fine, but I can't get the left to fit into my ear canal.

Intrigued to hear Audeze sound in a different form factor but the fit of these is awful thus far.

Sep 16, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #3,564 of 7,352
Went into the Appl Store to have my Apple Watch repaired, ended up walking out with a pair of iSine10.

They may just be the best headphones I've ever heard, but the fit is pretty odd and lackluster. Finding it difficult to get a comfortable fit. The sound is detailed, spacious, and beautiful, but it sounds thin as if the fit isn't quite perfect. The right side is fine, but I can't get the left to fit into my ear canal.

Intrigued to hear Audeze sound in a different form factor but the fit of these is awful thus far.
Comfys probably have the best fit but I hear the symbio by mandarines are best fit/sound so I ordered a 3 pair set.

Sep 16, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #3,565 of 7,352
Comfys probably have the best fit but I hear the symbio by mandarines are best fit/sound so I ordered a 3 pair set.

Personally I'm not a fan of IEM's typically but I heard such good feedback about iSine10 that I had to try. I'd rather stick to stock tips to preserve the intended sound. But I think the form factor just isn't comfortable.

* I haven't tried adding the wings yet.

Sep 16, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #3,566 of 7,352
Honestly I'd buy the EL-8 Titanium since they're the most beautiful headphones I've ever seen, but the reviews on sound are mediocre.

Sep 16, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #3,567 of 7,352
Damn, I was not expecting such good sound out of the 3.5mm cable unamp'd, but it can handle lossless files just fine. Gorgeous sound.

Sep 16, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #3,568 of 7,352
Damn, I was not expecting such good sound out of the 3.5mm cable unamp'd, but it can handle lossless files just fine. Gorgeous sound.
The thing is they are a hybrid tip with silicone in the middle and the outside is memory foam it's 15 dollars it's at least worth the try... PS they come in normal bore and wide i picked wide for obvious reasons...

Sep 16, 2017 at 3:20 AM Post #3,569 of 7,352
(Disclaimer: not much of an audiophile) I've used the original tips, Comply tips, and JVC spiral dot, all for long periods. (on iSine 20) My experience was that the Comply tips seemd to muffle vocals slightly in a way that I didn't love, but which I was totally willing to live with when using the earhooks, for comfort reasons.

Once I got a setup that worked comfortably with the spiral dots and surefire earlocks, I switched over to that, with no change in sound vs. the original tips.

But if you find the highs fatiguing to begin with, maybe the Comply would actually improve sound for you.
Which surefire earhooks did you get sorry for reviving a old post hehe

Sep 16, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #3,570 of 7,352
Which surefire earhooks did you get sorry for reviving a old post hehe

The surefire earhooks are included with the iSines. Surefire makes them, but they are a different design from the ones they sell for earbuds.

You can get replacements from Audeze, as I had to after one of the ones that came with my pair broke. The new pair I received seemed to be made slightly differently, and less prone to breakage, but they also didn't hold as securely to begin with.

I'm currently quite curious about the knockoff version that Monoprice is including with the M300. If they're designed for the same diameter attachment ring, I hope that they sell them separately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back