Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
Mar 16, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #1,756 of 7,352

Any lightning-based iOS device should be able to use the Cipher cable.

Only problem I have encountered is the clearance of the lightning plug on the cipher cable for iphone cases is too shallow and the connection is a bit loose..............If used with an ipad and not walking around then it's probably alright, but if one plans to use with iphone while walking around like me then that is something to consider.

Mar 16, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #1,757 of 7,352
Question for Audeze on the manufacturing tolerances between the iSINE10 and iSINE20. Is there a tighter manufacturing tolerance for the higher priced iSINE20?

I.e. in particular the left/right imbalance. What is it for the iSINE0 vs. iSINE20?

Mar 16, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #1,759 of 7,352
Safe to say not very well. These are semi open iems, so they intentionally do not isolate. While they do not emit as much noise as a pair of open full sized headphones they do not block out much outside noise. I haven't tried my isine 20's on a flight yet, but I have ridden on the metro with them and they block outside noise about as well as a pair of stock apple earbuds. You can still here the music, but a lot of the nuances and subtleties that make these so great (cymbal decays, lifelike soundstage, treble details, etc.) are lost to the background noise  Hope that is helpful.

Mar 16, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #1,760 of 7,352
  How do these perform with airplane noise?

Not well at all. I actually used my pair of iSineVRs (same as the iSine10s) on a flight from Los Angeles to Detroit last week. I was right over the wing, so very close to the engines. Engine noise was terrible. I managed to watch an entire movie ("The Grand Budapest Hotel"), but I had to turn it up fairly loud. And as sorrick said, I lost all of the small details. On the flight back I used my JH-13|Pros and it was much more enjoyable.

That being said, I have been quite enjoying the iSine10s in quieter environments, and the parametric equalization settings posted by Audeze earlier in this thread really take them to the next level. I'll post more about my experiences this weekend.

Mar 16, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #1,761 of 7,352

Not well at all. I actually used my pair of iSineVRs (same as the iSine10s) on a flight from Los Angeles to Detroit last week. I was right over the wing, so very close to the engines. Engine noise was terrible. I managed to watch an entire movie ("The Grand Budapest Hotel"), but I had to turn it up fairly loud. And as sorrick said, I lost all of the small details. On the flight back I used my JH-13|Pros and it was much more enjoyable.

That being said, I have been quite enjoying the iSine10s in quieter environments, and the parametric equalization settings posted by Audeze earlier in this thread really take them to the next level. I'll post more about my experiences this weekend.

Do you have a link to that parametric eq from Audeze please? Tried search function but not bringing anything up. Thanks

Mar 16, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #1,762 of 7,352
  On many devices, android supports a system wide EQ and there are various apps both paid and free that are available in the app store. As with anything android, it is hard to make any generalizations. 
Though I have seen apps that do 5 band eq or add ambiance/surround at a system level, I am not aware an app that would supports PEQ or convolution on a system wide level. My preferred app on Android is HF player (it does not provide PEQ, but has enough granularity to fine tune), except you cannot use it with streaming media such as Tidal.

As an Android user myself, I am painfully aware of the demand for a Cipher cable for the android users. All I can say is we are actively working on it but do not have an ETA yet.The Android market is much more diverse and a challenge to support. As for the USB-C support, though USB-C connector is different and not backward compatible with USB 2, the USB 3.1 standard is backward compatible. It would be  straightforward to make the android version work with both USB-C and Micro-USB.

We see the Cipher cable as a potent DSP platform and not just as a DAC/Amp. Some of the ideas we have for the platform in the future include being able to do virtual stereo or room emulation, improving impulse response, allowing users to select from multiple 'tunings' to name a few. 

The tuning the Cipher cable is based on PEQ and does not use the 10 band EQ presented by the Audeze App. We arrived at the current tuning used for Cipher based on analysis of numerous measurements we made using iSines on both dummy heads and real people while using different tips and also through listening tests and user feedback. We then tried to match the average response to what we perceive as the ideal curve. 

I understand that when it comes to EQ, there is no 'one size fits all'. While the lack of Pinna and concha resonances makes it little easier to measure, fit and seal causes some degree of variability between users.  For the tweakers like me, who like to play with EQ, here is a close approximation of the EQ we use in Cipher cable that I created using DMG Equilibrium. You can use this as a starting point or reference and change it further and share it with this community for the benefit of other users.

We have shared a similar EQ profile with Waves Audio for their NX plugin. We are also working with few software players to provide Audeze Presets for iSines and our to other headphones too. We are willing to share presets in other formats too for use with your favorite players or plugins. I will try to start a poll to see what is preferred.

Here you go. Post #1250.

Mar 17, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #1,764 of 7,352
Pulled the trigger on the iSine20 last night after falling in love with the LCD series last weekend. Hope they ship soon!

Looks like I'm stacking up a very portable collection:
ISine20 for endgame listening anywhere
Blue MoFi (will be replaced by Satellite mode when released) for noise isolation/Cancellation and bass boost/impact
AirPods w/Spigen hooks that improve sound and soundstage for ultra portable always in your pocket

Mar 17, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #1,765 of 7,352
Ordered a pair of iSine20 Lightning today, looking forward to trying them out.

I know they're semi-open backed and don't isolate well, which suits me fine. Would be interested to know if anyone has used them outside in wind, and if so did they create a lot of wind-noise?

Mar 17, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #1,766 of 7,352
Ordered a pair of iSine20 Lightning today, looking forward to trying them out.

I know they're semi-open backed and don't isolate well, which suits me fine. Would be interested to know if anyone has used them outside in wind, and if so did they create a lot of wind-noise?

If the wind is blowing hard enough for you to hear the wind without headphones on, you will hear the wind with the isine's on. If you have music playing, the wind will blend into the baxkground, but the music will not be playing against a totally quiet background. How much that will bother you depends on your personal preferences.

Mar 17, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #1,767 of 7,352
If the wind is blowing hard enough for you to hear the wind without headphones on, you will hear the wind with the isine's on. If you have music playing, the wind will blend into the baxkground, but the music will not be playing against a totally quiet background. How much that will bother you depends on your personal preferences.

Thanks sorrick.

The Sony MDR-EX1000s that I have create an ear-piercing whining noise if it's quite windy. It's pretty painful.

I live on a tiny island where it's windy most of the time. A 20mph wind is pretty normal. If with the i20s I can hear the wind then that's fine, but if it creates noise in that way then I'll just use them indoors.

Mar 17, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #1,768 of 7,352
Thanks sorrick.

The Sony MDR-EX1000s that I have create an ear-piercing whining noise if it's quite windy. It's pretty painful.

I live on a tiny island where it's windy most of the time. A 20mph wind is pretty normal. If with the i20s I can hear the wind then that's fine, but if it creates noise in that way then I'll just use them indoors.

I wore my isine 20s in a pretty strong wind (probably around 20mph) earlier this week on my walk home and while I could here the wind, there was no noise caused by the headphones themselves that I noticed.

Mar 18, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #1,769 of 7,352
Finally push the button, and now awaiting for the iSine 20's to arrive. If these are aa good as everyone says they are, I'll have to offload a few pairs of my existing headphones to cover the cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back