Audeze EL-8 vs Oppo PM-3 Impressions
Mar 21, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #106 of 214
most likely. The LCD3's sound incredible with the balanced norne draug 2's. They also have a couple of hundred hours of run in so it probably isnt fair.

Not sure why you need to use unicorns like cablesound to explain something that's perfectly normal. The EL8 cost 3x less than LCD3, it's normal to sound worse ... much worse.

The real Q is if they sound better than HPs in the same price range like HE560, Hd700 or the much cheaper HD650. And I suspect the answer is no.

Mar 21, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #107 of 214
Not sure why you need to use unicorns like cablesoumd to explain something that's perfectly normal. The cans cost 3x less than LCD3, it's normal to sound worse ... much worse.

The real Q is if they sound better than HPs in the same price range like HE560, Hd700 or the much cheaper HD650. And I suspect the answer is no.

lol at the unicorn analogy =P

Mar 21, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #108 of 214
Doesn't surprise me you didn't hear improvement on the desktop, they barely scaled at all when I used the Questyle CMA800R and WA5 (with full upgrade kit) compared to out of my Dragonfly and the HA-2 when I auditioned them.

Mar 23, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #109 of 214
Sooo, well i thought i'd ask a simple question. If one listenes more to music without vocals, would you recommend the EL-8 or PM-3? I'm no noob with audio equipment in general, but i AM noob with headphones. I like to listen to music and movies on my home cinema set, which has two EQ settings, one flat measured with a SPL and one  'flat' measured with my ears. I prefer my ear-measurement for music and sometimes the analytical/technical measurement for movies. Listening to a lot of soundtracks and eletronic music by the way.

It's just.. i know i'm gonna read EL-8 and PM-3 threads for weeks (or month) and still won't order one or the other because i just can't decide (and have no opportunity to listen to them and i just cannot order both of em to compare them myself). I was tending towards the EL-8, now i'm not sure anymore..again..makes me crazy :wink:

I just read that the  PM-3 is not that well suited for orchestral/movie music but more suited for music with vocals..yeah my english sucks today ^^ mondays.. :wink:

So to cut it short, i'd really love to read a comparison between those two. Any recommendations? Is the EL-8 worth the extra money? Would i miss a punchy and ample bass with the PM-3?

And yea i probably would buy a USB DAC for the headphone of choice but for now a headphone itself has to suffice with the DAC arriving a couple of month later :wink: Sorry for any confusion, i'm sick at work but i guess a pair of new headphones with make me whole again :wink:

Mar 23, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #110 of 214
@kite, not sure too many people have had an opportunity to hear both.

not sure if you saw this thread, but it may be helpful: http://www.head-fi.org/t/759030/audeze-el-8-vs-oppo-pm-3-impressions

I think mr. mercer will be posting a review of both in the upcoming weeks if you aren't in a rush.

i would say that the pm-3s are perform well for orchestral & movies. it's just closed, so will most likely have smaller sound stage than the open EL-8. if you require portability or noise isolation, the pm-3 will work extremely well for that. if not, generally i would recommend looking checking out open pair of headphones first.

Mar 23, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #111 of 214

not sure if you saw this thread, but it may be helpful: http://www.head-fi.org/t/759030/audeze-el-8-vs-oppo-pm-3-impressions

I think mr. mercer will be posting a review of both in the upcoming weeks if you aren't in a rush.

i would say that the pm-3s are perform well for orchestral & movies. it's just closed, so will most likely have smaller sound stage than the open EL-8. if you require portability or noise isolation, the pm-3 will work extremely well for that. if not, generally i would recommend looking checking out open pair of headphones first.

Hmm, did you mean this thread here? http://www.head-fi.org/t/749214/audeze-el-8-the-el-8-is-a-must-hear-at-ces-2015

I'm reading both threads and have read nice comparisons, but also have read "a lot" (given the seed of the el-8 at this point) about technical problems with the el-8.

Unfortunateley i need closed back headphones since i want to wear them at work and for that i need the noise isolation (i failed to mention that, sorry about that) so only the closed EL-8 would be an option.. 

I'm not in a rush THAT much but basically my headphones broke and i'm stuck with an old pair of razer krakens and they are not very well suited for everyday work and far beyond anything comfortable (my ears hurt after using them for one or two hours and not because of lound music but because of the headphones themselves). I need to concentrate a lot on my screen and for that i need a lot of "noise" on my ears, if that makes any sense :wink:

Mar 23, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #112 of 214
  @kite, not sure too many people have had an opportunity to hear both.

Good advice, I have to second the fact that PM-3 sounds good with orchestral music. I'm listening to a Brahm's Concerto right now. It has the weight and impact of the double bass and adequate sound stage for a closed phone, but it's not exceptional or anything (not small either), just what you'd expect. 

That being said, its closed and portable. If you don't need closed or portable, why not get an open phone. There are plenty of options, especially if you're considering $700. I'd try and find one of the LCD's used or go with the open EL8. 

Mar 23, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #113 of 214
so far my closed el8 sound fantastic with sountracks ( mission imossible ,the lord of the rings  jurastic park 
very realistic 

Mar 23, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #114 of 214
That being said, its closed and portable. If you don't need closed or portable, why not get an open phone. There are plenty of options, especially if you're considering $700. I'd try and find one of the LCD's used or go with the open EL8. 

I'm thinking about an lcd for when i'm at home but first i need headphones for when i'm at work so they have to be closed unfortunateley.

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #115 of 214
I'm thinking about an lcd for when i'm at home but first i need headphones for when i'm at work so they have to be closed unfortunateley.

if you need to transport the headphones back and forth from home to work, the lack of a case and the size/weight of the el-8 is something to consider. I am guessing that audeze will eventually offer a carrying case though.

Mar 24, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #116 of 214
if you need to transport the headphones back and forth from home to work, the lack of a case and the size/weight of the el-8 is something to consider. I am guessing that audeze will eventually offer a carrying case though.

Oh yes of course :) but in my case i don't need that option. Our office is quite small, no one would snag 'em. Maybe they would have a listen and still ask beforehand :)

Mar 24, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #117 of 214
Oh yes of course
smily_headphones1.gif
but in my case i don't need that option. Our office is quite small, no one would snag 'em. Maybe they would have a listen and still ask beforehand
smily_headphones1.gif

ahh... i didn't even think of that. i guess i would be a bit afraid to be bringing something that expensive out and about every day, but we bring laptops & smartphones to work, so should be fine.

i was thinking more about how it would be a hassle to carry it back and forth depending on how you commute and what sort of briefcase you have. but if you were planning on leaving it at work, the physical portability is less of an issue.

Mar 24, 2015 at 5:36 AM Post #118 of 214
ahh... i didn't even think of that. i guess i would be a bit afraid to be bringing something that expensive out and about every day, but we bring laptops & smartphones to work, so should be fine.

Between workstations and displays worth thousands of moneyz and half a dozen oculus rifts and other gadgets..an audeze headphone should be fine, especially when no one around here knows what these things are worth :) and i have to travel an hour via train to work so i'd rather leave them at my desk too :)

Mar 24, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #119 of 214
Between workstations and displays worth thousands of moneyz and half a dozen oculus rifts and other gadgets..an audeze headphone should be fine, especially when no one around here knows what these things are worth :) and i have to travel an hour via train to work so i'd rather leave them at my desk too :)

That's the reason why I like my PM-3s, I can use them on the go.:)

Apr 2, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #120 of 214
Has anyone seen this review here? http://referencehometheater.com/review/oppo-pm-3-headphones-review/

Quite a lot of praise. To be honest i think it's too much praise for me to take it as a serious review, i don't know :) (Reading something bad about a HP: "ah meh they suck!" vs. reading something positive: "ah na that can't be real"). I don't know what i should think about that review ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back