Audeze EL-8 vs Oppo PM-3 Impressions
Apr 18, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #136 of 214
Isn't M100 a closed back headphone? TH900 is also a closed back. I have Sony MDR-1R (which is not a highend but small enough for me) already as closed back option. I use LCD-X at a place where I can lean lean back because it is so damn heavy. I am looking for a light weight open back with deep bass.

The M100 is closed back.

Apr 18, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #137 of 214
I have LCD-X. I got it because people are saying it has better bass than LCD-3. I never owned a LCD-3. So, I can't tell which one has beeter bass, but it doesn't give me the bass I want, even with Clear-Bass on my Sony ZX-2 EQ is all the way up to 10. Not a boomy bass, may be just a tight bass. With Sony MDR-1A, I just need to raise to 4 or 5.

Clarification: If you are EQing your Sony MDR-1A's bass frequencies up by 4-5, I don't think you will find any stock pair of open headphones that has the type of bass emphasis you are looking for. The Sony MDR-1A already has a pretty significant bass boost. I can't think really think of any open audiophile-geared headphones will have more bass boost than the Sony MDR-1Rs. That is why I am recommending close-back headphones. I really think the V-Moda headphones may match the sound signature what you are looking for without EQ. Or you can try the TH600/TH900 if the M100s don't work out for you.

Apr 18, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #138 of 214
Recommended closed backs as they generally have more bass emphasis and bass reverb due to the closed design. Open headphones are generally will not give you as much bass quantity as closed headphones. The LCD-X has really nice bass for an open-back, so if you are unhappy with that, I don't think pursuing more open headphones would be the right move.

So deep bass would refer to bass-extension. Planars generally have good linear deep bass extension. That does not equate to bass emphasis/boost. In my own personal opinion, the LCD-X has among the best bass quality out of all the planars with a hefty amount of impact/slam/weight while keeping the bass notes relatively tight and it has great linear deep bass extension (a characteristic of most planar magnetic headphones). Bass is relatively balanced with the reset of the sound signature and that is a good thing. I don't think another pair of headphones will give you that sort of linear deep sub-bass extension with a good overall frequency response balance.

It sounded from your previous post you wanted more amount of bass. Usually, that equates a mid-bass boost in the FR (and that how I interpreted your statement as you enjoyed the MDR-1Rs which have a mid-bass boost). For open options with more of a mid-bass emphasis, perhaps consider looking into the Sennheiser HD650, HE-400 (headphones slightly on the heavier side), Beyerdynamic DT990, or Phillips X1 (not the X2 as it is tuned more neutral). Do note that most open backs won't have the same amount of bass quantity as closed headphones. If you really want open, I think the X1 or DT990 may be most suitable for your criteria. Otherwise, I think it may be wiser to go with a nice open-sounding closed headphone with a solid amount of bass boost, aka the TH900. I think the TH900 would fit your sound signature preferences the best if you can afford it. They are very open sounding for a pair of closed headphones and don't really noise isolate very well. Basically, considered semi-open (imo).

Thanks for your thorough response. MDR-1A (1R, not 1A, sorry I coorected my post after you responsed my fist post) is a closed back good enough for me. It is light weight and has a good low bass, under 60hz (i don't like mid bass, if it means 100Hz and above, BTW). I have Grado sr80, which is open back, light weight cheap and has some good amount of bass. I guess I will stick with it for now.

Apr 18, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #139 of 214
Recommended closed backs as they generally have more bass emphasis and bass reverb due to the closed design. Open headphones are generally will not give you as much bass quantity as closed headphones. The LCD-X has really nice bass for an open-back, so if you are unhappy with that, I don't think pursuing more open headphones would be the right move.

So deep bass would refer to bass-extension. Planars generally have good linear deep bass extension. That does not equate to bass emphasis/boost. In my own personal opinion, the LCD-X has among the best bass quality out of all the planars with a hefty amount of impact/slam/weight while keeping the bass notes relatively tight and it has great linear deep bass extension (a characteristic of most planar magnetic headphones). Bass is relatively balanced with the reset of the sound signature and that is a good thing. I don't think another pair of headphones will give you that sort of linear deep sub-bass extension with a good overall frequency response balance.

It sounded from your previous post you wanted more amount of bass. Usually, that equates a mid-bass boost in the FR (and that how I interpreted your statement as you enjoyed the MDR-1Rs which have a mid-bass boost). For open options with more of a mid-bass emphasis, perhaps consider looking into the Sennheiser HD650, HE-400 (headphones slightly on the heavier side), Beyerdynamic DT990, or Phillips X1 (not the X2 as it is tuned more neutral). Do note that most open backs won't have the same amount of bass quantity as closed headphones. If you really want open, I think the X1 or DT990 may be most suitable for your criteria. Otherwise, I think it may be wiser to go with a nice open-sounding closed headphone with a solid amount of bass boost, aka the TH900. I think the TH900 would fit your sound signature preferences the best if you can afford it. They are very open sounding for a pair of closed headphones and don't really noise isolate very well. Basically, considered semi-open (imo).

He may like the Vibros. They have pretty good bass quality with 2 bass ports closed (but it isn't the best and on par with the alpha dog in how deep it goes.) however, if you leave all the ports open, it has a bass amount that surprised me for a planar and has a bit of a lingering effect to it. Still a very much mid-bass emphasized, mid-forward headphone. Depends on what he wants. The th900 is technically a semi-open headphone that leaks like a mofo and it is an acquired taste if you don't like V-shaped signatures.

Apr 19, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #140 of 214
I have the same setup.  Oppo HA-2, Oppo PM-3 and an Audeze EL-8.  The EL-8 is definitely a home only cans because of its weight and lack of isolation (of course its an open back).  The clarity and soundstage is awesome and the bass response unassisted by the HA-2 is meaty.  The Oppo PM-3 is very fast and highs does linger longer but with out the Bass plus from the HA-2 it becomes overly analytical and the mids are a little rolled (i tend to like shimmers and guitars). Another gripe that I have with the PM-3 is the cable, there isn't any stress relief nor the quality of the cable is cheaply made. The cables on the EL-8 is flat (sata connector like) but the headphone connection is not as tight as i want it to be and sometimes would loose contact if I move to much. My Philips Fidelio X2 will leave my collection and will be replaced by the Audeze.

Apr 20, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #141 of 214
The paradox here is that if I bought the stax, then my wife would kill me. Then, if she eventually remarried , some other ahole would be enjoying them

I just got the el8 in yesterday. Have not had a chance to listen. Will post back once I have had some time with them.

I got you man!!  If my wife left me , she wouldn't get my LCDs or Oppo stuff. I'd have that out of the house SO fast!!

You haven't delt with Lawyers? rotfl.
:beerchug:

Apr 20, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #142 of 214
You haven't delt with Lawyers? rotfl:beerchug:

I just always tell my wife that all my headphones are under $100 or I'm a part of a loaner program (which is sometimes true), then I buy her some clothes/shoes with the same price.  Everyone's happy and it should not be a thing that a lawyer might count... my camera's are a different story.

Apr 22, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #143 of 214
I'm deciding to get el-8/pm-3/t5p.However,now my wishlistis limited to el-8/t5p.Since I tried pm-3,I noticed I can't wear this for several hours.The cup sit right on my ear but not around my ear,and this really made me uncomfortable.Today I'm going to try el-8.

My question is:which pair of headphone sound more like a 2-channel system?I'm buying this because I'm leaving home to study in university,and sadly,I'm unable to bring my speaker and amp with me.

Poor English.Forgive me. Not native English user

Apr 23, 2015 at 6:12 AM Post #144 of 214
I'm deciding to get el-8/pm-3/t5p.However,now my wishlistis limited to el-8/t5p.Since I tried pm-3,I noticed I can't wear this for several hours.The cup sit right on my ear but not around my ear,and this really made me uncomfortable.Today I'm going to try el-8.

My question is:which pair of headphone sound more like a 2-channel system?I'm buying this because I'm leaving home to study in university,and sadly,I'm unable to bring my speaker and amp with me.

Instead of PM-3, why don't you consider PM-2?
To me, PM-2 represent better value over the more expensive PM-1 and the sound quality are definitely 1 or 2 nit hed higher than the PM-3.
Even though it is an open design, to me the isolation and leakage are still ok

Apr 23, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #145 of 214

Have you considered the NAD Viso HP50?

Apr 23, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #146 of 214
Instead of PM-3, why don't you consider PM-2?
To me, PM-2 represent better value over the more expensive PM-1 and the sound quality are definitely 1 or 2 nit hed higher than the PM-3.
Even though it is an open design, to me the isolation and leakage are still ok

Well, thanks for your information.However, I'm looking a true closed-back headphone. Try imagine that you are studying in a library, suddenly, you heard some weird sound. If I use an open-back or semi-open headphone in the library,other guys studying will try to kill me. Also, if I want to get a semi-open phone, I'll just get my T1 go with me.

NAD HP-50? Thanks, I'll see if I can find a retailer and then I'll try them.

And guys, thanks, this really helps.

Apr 23, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #147 of 214
  Well, thanks for your information.However, I'm looking a true closed-back headphone. Try imagine that you are studying in a library, suddenly, you heard some weird sound. If I use an open-back or semi-open headphone in the library,other guys studying will try to kill me. Also, if I want to get a semi-open phone, I'll just get my T1 go with me.

NAD HP-50? Thanks, I'll see if I can find a retailer and then I'll try them.

And guys, thanks, this really helps.

You can also scour the buy/trade/sell post in here and you can get a bit affordable than getting it in retail price... plus you're helping a fellow head-fi'er

Apr 23, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #148 of 214
  You can also scour the buy/trade/sell post in here and you can get a bit affordable than getting it in retail price... plus you're helping a fellow head-fi'er

I would still advise doing your research. Some of the classified ads are posting prices that are higher than some of the recent sale prices. just fyi.

Apr 23, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #150 of 214
Will have an idea in a week or so.

I listened to a fresh pair of each for around 10/15mins each, literally right out of the box being readied to be put on display on Tuesday. Will go back cause I'm interested myself, luckily the store leaves new phones running in overnight, every night. So I will have no influence from brain burn in cause I havent been listening to them in between.

With regards to other impressions in this thread, I think that more of the closed back users have mentioned a noticeable change. Open back users are pretty happy with the sound out of the box and are too busy enjoying themselves to help the rest of us out 
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back