Audeze EL-8 vs Oppo PM-3 Impressions
Apr 2, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #121 of 214
I'd say the review is spot on.

Apr 2, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #122 of 214
Hi everyone,

Does anyone on here own the PM-3 and the X2? I was curious to anyone's impressions on the two. I know that the X2's are open and are going to have a better soundstage, but are the sound signatures similar? I'm trying to find a closed back can that would a sound signature that was close to the X2s. The X2's trebel can be a little fatiguing at times, but It's bearable. What I've read about the Oppo seems to conclude that it has detail, but the treble is not harsh or fatiguing. Any thoughts?

Apr 9, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #123 of 214
Most us using balanced cables with full size cans don't think the cable improves SQ either, the doubled powered per channel certainly does for hungry transducers though (planar the main culprits).

For the particular headphones in this thread I wouldn't really expect there to be much benefit.

Since the PM3s are planar, would this not help out on a balanced amp(such as the HA1) x4 output balanced versus SE ?

Apr 9, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #124 of 214
Oh hell. You only live once. I went with the open backed el8.

If you only live once, What's the matter with the Stax 009??
gs1000.gif

Apr 9, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #125 of 214
  Since the PM3s are planar, would this not help out on a balanced amp(such as the HA1) x4 output balanced versus SE?

the PM3s are extremely easy to drive.

people who say balanced topology doesn't make a difference mean that a well-balanced audibly transparent single-ended amplifier will sound the same as a balanced audibly transparent balanced amplifier assuming that both amplifiers adequately drive the headphones. they mean that a good amplifier will sound good regardless & just because an amplifier is balanced doesn't mean it will sound superior to an unbalanced amplifier.

ymmv.

Apr 9, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #126 of 214

people who say balanced topology doesn't make a difference mean that a well-balanced audibly transparent single-ended amplifier will sound the same as a balanced audibly transparent balanced amplifier assuming that both amplifiers adequately drive the headphones. they mean that a good amplifier will sound good regardless & just because an amplifier is balanced doesn't mean it will sound superior to an unbalanced amplifier.

ymmv.

OK Thanks, I was only asking because my LCD 2.2s sound WAY better balanced with my HA1 than Single Ended, but I do understand where you are coming from.
P.S.  I am using a very good balanced cable. They were made by a very respected member of these forums. Maybe that makes my LCDs sound SOOOOO Good!!!
http://www.head-fi.org/t/71148/diy-cable-gallery/10875#post_8983566

Post 10889

Apr 9, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #127 of 214
If you only live once, What's the matter with the Stax 009??:gs1000smile:

The paradox here is that if I bought the stax, then my wife would kill me. Then, if she eventually remarried , some other ahole would be enjoying them
I just got the el8 in yesterday. Have not had a chance to listen. Will post back once I have had some time with them.

Apr 9, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #128 of 214
The paradox here is that if I bought the stax, then my wife would kill me. Then, if she eventually remarried , some other ahole would be enjoying them
I just got the el8 in yesterday. Have not had a chance to listen. Will post back once I have had some time with them.

I got you man!!  If my wife left me , she wouldn't get my LCDs or Oppo stuff. I'd have that out of the house SO fast!!

Apr 17, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #129 of 214
Thanks for your impressions.   I considered the Oppo PM-3 as an alternative to the Audeze EL-8C since it was less expensive, but have been waiting for a review to assure me that I made the right decision.

Your spot on about the Audeze EL-8C.  I find after breaking them in for a few days that the overall sound signature and bass SLAM are adequate and they are a pleasure to listen to.  They isolate street noise very well and do not bleed at loud listening levels.  I use them at work and I'm on the lower level near a window at street level.  They are being driven by an Audioengine N22 using either an iPod Classic, iPhone 6, or MacBook Pro as source inputs.   Instruments and vocals sound clear and the imaging is fantastic.  

These are much more musical than the previous headphones I owned and listened to - V-Moda LP and LP2 (both passed on to sons who love them), Audio Technica ATH-50W (back up pair for now), Beats Executive and Studio (both returned), B&W P5 (returned), Audio Technica ATHESW9A (travel only).  As for the pads, it is all about positioning.  I can listen to them for 6 - 8 hours as long as I get them positioned correctly - mainly not touching my ears.  

Apr 17, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #130 of 214

ymmv.

I haven't heard a real difference usinf balanced with dynamics, but planars are amazing out of them so I'm inclined to agree that it is very much a power thing.

Balanced is really just a different way to solve a problem. However, a balanced amp is easier to engineer a solution for (but costs more.) a SE takes more work to engineer, so you're never guaranteed they did it right, even if they charged the same price as the balanced amp.

Apr 17, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #132 of 214
subbed. I enjoy my PM-3's but I was missing that bass slam I am accustomed to from my LCD2.1 and TH900.  Much appreciate you taking the time to post this.  Do you happen to have the LCD-X or XC?

I have LCD-X. I got it because people are saying it has better bass than LCD-3. I never owned a LCD-3. So, I can't tell which one has beeter bass, but it doesn't give me the bass I want, even with Clear-Bass on my Sony ZX-2 EQ is all the way up to 10. Not a boomy bass, may be just a tight bass. With Sony MDR-1A, I just need to raise to 4 or 5.

Apr 17, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #133 of 214
I have LCD-X. I got it because people are saying it has better bass than LCD-3. I never owned a LCD-3. So, I can't tell which one has beeter bass, but it doesn't give me the bass I want, even with Clear-Bass on my Sony ZX-2 EQ is all the way up to 10. Not a boomy bass, may be just a tight bass. With Sony MDR-1R, I just need to raise to 4 or 5.

you are looking for bass-emphasizing headphones. when people talk about better bass here, they generally mean bass quality not quantity/amount. The MDR-1R has a significant mid-bass boost to its frequency response range. if you cannot adjust to the amount of bass present on the LCD-X and find you do prefer a bass boosted frequency response, you can stop looking at $500+ headphones. There are many $300ish or less quality headphones with a good bass boost. My first recommendation for you would be the V-Moda M100. It has a good amount of bass boost while maintaining decent bass quality. You can even look into the V-Moda LP (sub-$100 if you want more bass quantity over bass quality).

edit: only expensive headphones that I am aware of with a significant bass boost would be the Ultrasone Pro DJ at $1k and the Fostex TH900 at ~$1.5k. However, they are both tuned to more in-line with 'audiophile'-tastes (people who want a flatter frequency response), so I think it would be wiser for you to just stick in the $300 price range for now.

Apr 18, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #134 of 214
you are looking for bass-emphasizing headphones. when people talk about better bass here, they generally mean bass quality not quantity/amount. The MDR-1R has a significant mid-bass boost to its frequency response range. if you cannot adjust to the amount of bass present on the LCD-X and find you do prefer a bass boosted frequency response, you stop looking at $500+ headphones. There are many $300ish or less quality headphones with a good bass boost. My first recommendation for you would be the V-Moda M100. It has a good amount of bass boost while maintaining decent bass quality. You can even look into the V-Moda LP (sub-$100 if you want more bass quantity over bass quality).

edit: only expensive headphones that I am aware of with a significant bass boost would be the Ultrasone Pro DJ at $1k and the Fostex TH900 at ~$1.5k. However, they are both tuned to more in-line with 'audiophile'-tastes (people who want a flatter frequency response), so I think it would be wiser for you to just stick in the $300 price range for now.

Isn't M100 a closed back headphone? TH900 is also a closed back. I have Sony MDR-1R (which is not a highend but small enough for me) already as closed back option. I use LCD-X at a place where I can lean lean back because it is so damn heavy. I am looking for a light weight open back with deep bass.

Apr 18, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #135 of 214
Isn't M100 a closed back headphone? TH900 is also a closed back. I have Sony MDR-1R (which is not a highend but small enough for me) already as closed back option. I use LCD-X at a place where I can lean lean back because it is so damn heavy. I am looking for a light weight open back with deep bass.

Recommended closed backs as they generally have more bass emphasis and bass reverb due to the closed design. Open headphones are generally will not give you as much bass quantity as closed headphones. The LCD-X has really nice bass for an open-back, so if you are unhappy with that, I don't think pursuing more open headphones would be the right move.

So deep bass would refer to bass-extension. Planars generally have good linear deep bass extension. That does not equate to bass emphasis/boost. In my own personal opinion, the LCD-X has among the best bass quality out of all the planars with a hefty amount of impact/slam/weight while keeping the bass notes relatively tight and it has great linear deep bass extension (a characteristic of most planar magnetic headphones). Bass is relatively balanced with the reset of the sound signature and that is a good thing. I don't think another pair of headphones will give you that sort of linear deep sub-bass extension with a good overall frequency response balance.

It sounded from your previous post you wanted more amount of bass. Usually, that equates a mid-bass boost in the FR (and that how I interpreted your statement as you enjoyed the MDR-1Rs which have a mid-bass boost). For open options with more of a mid-bass emphasis, perhaps consider looking into the Sennheiser HD650, HE-400 (headphones slightly on the heavier side), Beyerdynamic DT990, or Phillips X1 (not the X2 as it is tuned more neutral). Do note that most open backs won't have the same amount of bass quantity as closed headphones. If you really want open, I think the X1 or DT990 may be most suitable for your criteria. Otherwise, I think it may be wiser to go with a nice open-sounding closed headphone with a solid amount of bass boost, aka the TH900. I think the TH900 would fit your sound signature preferences the best if you can afford it. They are very open sounding for a pair of closed headphones and don't really noise isolate very well. Basically, considered semi-open (imo).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back