Audeze EL-8 vs Oppo PM-3 Impressions
Mar 17, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #76 of 214
No, it's not. Pick a good, well-recorded song and listen to it on different headphones... You don't compare headphones by listening to different songs on each.

you misunderstand me. all sound quality attributes are more dependant on the source rather than the headphones. im saying that the variations in perceived differences in those factors are usually due to the fact people are not directly comparing headphones side-by-side using the same source.

i totally agree & alrdy stated that you need to use the same well-recorded source with those spatial cues to judge the differences in headphone performance for factors such as sound stage/imaging/instr sep.

edit: im not sayin tat differ headphones dont perform differently... im sayin tat usually perceived differences ppl comment on is due to not using the same source file & different sources will have wide variations in presentation, sound stage, imagin, and instr sep.

Mar 17, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #77 of 214
I agree that if spatial information isn't correctly captured in the recording in the first place, a headphone with "good" soundstage and imaging will never bring it back. The same is true for pretty much any aspect of a recording, but space is harder to get "right." In any case, most headphones have a unique spatial coloration that will present the same recording in different ways.

Personally, I rarely get a sense of a literal room or stage with headphones. Binaural recordings are the only exception. But I find differences in distance, depth, width, etc. on different headphones to be pretty clear.

Mar 17, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #78 of 214
you misunderstand me. all sound quality attributes are more dependant on the source rather than the headphones. im saying that the variations in perceived differences in those factors are usually due to the fact people are not directly comparing headphones side-by-side using the same source.

i totally agree & alrdy stated that you need to use the same well-recorded source with those spatial cues to judge the differences in headphone performance for factors such as sound stage/imaging/instr sep.

edit: im not sayin tat differ headphones dont perform differently... im sayin tat usually perceived differences ppl comment on is due to not using the same source file & different sources will have wide variations in presentation, sound stage, imagin, and instr sep.

Ok, I misunderstood you. Probably my fault because I think you have a tendency to say A and B sound the same (especially when it comes to SS amps but that is another topic :p)

I always use the same couple songs I'm familiar with to make comparisons. I don't doubt that some people are careless enough not to bother, but it goes without saying that that is a best practice.

Mar 17, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #80 of 214
Ok, I misunderstood you. Probably my fault because I think you have a tendency to say A and B sound the same (especially when it comes to SS amps but that is another topic :p)

I always use the same couple songs I'm familiar with to make comparisons. I don't doubt that some people are careless enough not to bother, but it goes without saying that that is a best practice.

hahah i stand by my opinion that source>>>>>headphones>>>amp/dacs>>other components & that most differences expressed on these forums are greatly exaggerated :p

ya, i have a dedicated playlist for testing soundstage/imagin/instr sep. makes me feel more comfortable in my assessment of relative differences in sound stage. :)

Mar 18, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #81 of 214
ok not sure why arguments are in here - but in terms of impressions like posted earlier - The EL-8s felt like i was really up close and personal at a live concert, the PM3 felt like i was a little further back.  Take that as you will with the terms you want to use to describe/define both sets of headphones.

One song that sounded very good on the EL-8 was Fleetwood Mac's "Dreams" - i have a 250mb file of that and the vocals, instruments (especially bass and drums) just sound incredible.  A lot more punch and weight behind the instruments than the PM3 had.

Mar 18, 2015 at 6:28 AM Post #82 of 214
How would they compare when used with an iPhone or Android equivalent? Are you more accustomed to the Audeze sound and have you tried the higher end PM models? I tried the PM1 and PM2 with the Meier Audio Classic and Corda and found them to be fun with a small soundstage but tight bass. Are the PM3's similar to this somewhat? 

Mar 18, 2015 at 6:41 AM Post #83 of 214
  How would they compare when used with an iPhone or Android equivalent? Are you more accustomed to the Audeze sound and have you tried the higher end PM models? I tried the PM1 and PM2 with the Meier Audio Classic and Corda and found them to be fun with a small soundstage but tight bass. Are the PM3's similar to this somewhat? 

i use an oppo Find 7 which is an android phone, however i use the HA-2 amp, well because i have one.

I have an Audeze LCD3, Sennheiser HD800s etc so use to warmth and neutrality.  I have tried the PM1 but it was in a ****ty location with a crap source so i cant compare.

The way i see it, all oppo products punch well above their weight class.  The oppo sound is a little clinical/neutral and not as "fun" as the EL-8, however as an overall package for $400 it really is something that cant be beaten for what it does.

Mar 18, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #85 of 214
So now that you have had them for a few days, just in over all do you consider the price difference of the el8 over the pm3 to be worth it to you?

It is. But it All depends on the purpose. Audeze are amazing but I wouldn't travel with them. Oppo are not quite as good but they are perfect for a portable set.

Mar 18, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #86 of 214
It is. But it All depends on the purpose. Audeze are amazing but I wouldn't travel with them. Oppo are not quite as good but they are perfect for a portable set.

Would also be interesting to know how the pm3 compares with other overear, closed portables like philips fidelio l2, senn momentum, hp50, beyer t51p...
All those are cheaper .. some much cheaper, e.g. the fildelio is ~halfprice.

Mar 18, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #87 of 214
hahah i stand by my opinion that source>>>>>headphones>>>amp/dacs>>other components & that most differences expressed on these forums are greatly exaggerated :p

And that is the understatement of the day ...at least.
AverageJoe wont hear any difference between 99% of the suposedly highend devices discussed around here.

Mar 18, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #89 of 214
for me personally, the pm-3s are perfect for a set of portable headphones & meet/exceed all my criteria for judging portable headphones.

for my home listening, i can go for flagship type models, so the el-8 (while interesting) will not really make my rotation as the closed version is not suitable for portable usage & you can easily find other open headphones that outperform it (I mean even within audeze's own line-up). However, if someone is willing to spend the premium for the audeze sound sig, but has budget limitations preventing a flagship purchase, I can see the appeal of the el-8.

Mar 18, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #90 of 214
Can one get a balanced cable for the Oppo pm-3? Just curious, I will most likely get these cans regardless if I can get a balanced cable. If these cans had not been released, I would had most likely gotten a Sennheiser Momentum 2 wired, but I prefer orthodynamic cans, thus the pm-3 seem like the ones to get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back