Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Mar 13, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #3,197 of 6,486
There are a few companies that have rarely let me down with new releases...Audeze is definitely one of them. A very strong track record...nothing wrong with that...plus I'm not going in totally blind...have you seen how they measure on the Audeze website? Very impressive! However, if I don't like them, they'll go back without a review and I'll post my honest impressions here. 

Having had 4-5 years of impressive experiences from a particular company (like Audeze) has raised my expectations (as it should). Other companies have been hit or miss...or just miss and miss. I've had the LCD-2, LCD-2.2, LCD-3, LCD-X and LCD-XC and loved every one; so you can see from where I get my high expectations. That's 5/5...see a trend? Plus, I'm a hobbyist, not a professional reviewer. :wink:  

I've known Sankar for going on 5 years now and consider him a good friend that I've made here on Head-Fi. I was thoroughly shocked (in a good way) when the initial LCD-2s were released (I bought them very early on) and became a fan of the company and their track record of releasing great sounding headphones has continued through the years. Would you rather I keep that to myself? :rolleyes:  Look we all have biases on things, but when I review gear, it's always my honest impressions that come through. Some gear I thought I'd not like, but I ended up loving it; and other gear the exact opposite. I have very high hopes for the EL-8s based on my experiences with the company and the measurements...my listening sessions with the loaner pair I'm getting will be based ENTIRELY on what I hear. 

Man, we all have our biases, I have no particular issue with that - in fact a reviewer stating their own tilt so openly is all to the good as far as I'm concerned.

Mar 13, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #3,198 of 6,486
I wonder how the closed back will compare to oppo's new offering?

That's basically the only comparison I care about and why I keep checking this thread. Once I hear some impressions, I'm hoping I'll know which way to go.

Mar 13, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #3,199 of 6,486
I wonder how the closed back will compare to oppo's new offering?

That's basically the only comparison I care about and why I keep checking this thread. Once I hear some impressions, I'm hoping I'll know which way to go.

Seriously, if all you're considering is sound quality, I would go with the open headphones. Just a basic rule of thumb, you go for closed only if you need the noise isolation. However, please note I haven't heard them yet, but my experiences over the years have led me to this conclusion.

But if you need headphones for on the go, where noise isolation and low leakage is important, then go for the closed headphones.

Perfect example the LCD-X and XC. I really like both, but there is no doubt which I prefer sound wise. But when noise isolation is needed, the lcd-XC are the ones to reach for.

Mar 13, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #3,201 of 6,486
Seriously, if all you're considering is sound quality, I would go with the open headphones. Just a basic rule of thumb, you go for closed only if you need the noise isolation. However, please note I haven't heard them yet, but my experiences over the years have led me to this conclusion.

But if you need headphones for on the go, where noise isolation and low leakage is important, then go for the closed headphones.

Perfect example the LCD-X and XC. I really like both, but there is no doubt which I prefer sound wise. But when noise isolation is needed, the lcd-XC are the ones to reach for.

Oh, definately, since I plan to use these as on-the-go headphones I would definately be buying the closed ones. Just don't know which one to go for yet the PM-3 or closed EL-8. I think the PM-3's actually look better (i.e. don't stand out too much as being "audiophile" headphones) and the price is better (though even at $699 I'm ok with the price of the Audeze's). I would fully expect the EL-8's to sound better, how big of a sound quality difference though is what I am really waiting to hear. If the PM-3's aren't even in the same league, I will probably spring for the EL-8's and deal with looking like a dork in public (not much can be done to help that anyway I'm afraid :)

Mar 14, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #3,202 of 6,486
Someone mentioned the soundstage of the closed el8 as being 2ft. If that is a true statement, and not just a generalization, I am going to have to try these out.

Well the open ones I heard (prototype though they were) where nowhere near that, so I suspect since that comment was made with respects to the closed one that the commenter is being a bit wildly enthusiastic there.

Mar 14, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #3,203 of 6,486
this thread is becoming really hot by todays statistic is Nr 24 off all Headphones
the OPPO 1 is before the el8 with almost same qantity of posts  the only difference that started "only" a Year ago 
this is growing like a fire and no one is going to know  what will  be next .... so be prepared for an emergency EXIT from normal and clasic HPS
beerchug.gif

Mar 14, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #3,205 of 6,486
i really interest to read more comments on bass for both the open and closed el8 compared to lcd2

Mar 14, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #3,206 of 6,486

Oh, definately, since I plan to use these as on-the-go headphones I would definately be buying the closed ones. Just don't know which one to go for yet the PM-3 or closed EL-8. I think the PM-3's actually look better (i.e. don't stand out too much as being "audiophile" headphones) and the price is better (though even at $699 I'm ok with the price of the Audeze's). I would fully expect the EL-8's to sound better, how big of a sound quality difference though is what I am really waiting to hear. If the PM-3's aren't even in the same league, I will probably spring for the EL-8's and deal with looking like a dork in public (not much can be done to help that anyway I'm afraid :)

The El8 are not for 'on the move' - half a kilo on you head - are you kidding me.

Mar 14, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #3,208 of 6,486
Isn't it billed as their first portable heaphone? A portable headphone that you can't take on the go doesn't make much sense, now whether or not it's practical is up the user like Aaranu just said.

Mar 14, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #3,210 of 6,486
I wouldn't know unfortunate :frowning2: I Personally wouldn't walk around with these on, as im sure most wont, but for long bus, train rides i can see myself using them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back