Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Mar 14, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #3,211 of 6,486
From what i hear the weight distribution is really good so sure you could wear them on the go. Really its up to the individual.

Thanks for your keen observations, I was hoping these cans, handled the weight distribution well and can be used on the go.

Mar 14, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #3,212 of 6,486
I'm really interested in these. My only concern is the huge dip that bottoms out at 6khz. Is this dip in the FR having a big effect on detail and treble accuracy ? I don't like bright headphones but I don't want to miss any detail or sparkle when called for.

Mar 14, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #3,214 of 6,486
Mar 14, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #3,215 of 6,486

This just went from bad to worse :frowning2:

How so?

The next sentence was words to the effect that he would still give us his honest thoughts here.

Mar 14, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #3,216 of 6,486

How so?

The next sentence was words to the effect that he would still give us his honest thoughts here.

Because he stated quite plainly that he would not publish a negative review. So much for neutrality and integrity!

Mar 14, 2015 at 7:54 AM Post #3,217 of 6,486

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero 

if I don't like them, they'll go back without a review

I like people who start with the negative expectations first

I will suget to start reviewing the PM3 firtand not the el8

Mar 14, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #3,218 of 6,486
'Not writing a review if you do not like a product and only writing a review if you like a product', is entirely different to 'only writing positive reviews on everything'. The two propositions are not the same. Tyranny is the removal of subtlety and context.

Mar 14, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #3,220 of 6,486
  How so?

well, if audio manufacturers only send their equipment to reviewers who have the mentality where they either write a glowing review or send back the product... that means all early reviews from "reviewers" will be universally positive and will not give critical feedback on the product or point out flaws for the consumers.

instead of acting as an unbiased party writing for the consumer market to allow us to make educated decisions, the "reviewer" simply becomes part of the company's promotional PR/advertising/marketing machine.

realistically, it makes good business sense for audio companies to be extremely selective about the people they choose to send out early review units to. They will obviously pick people that they have relationships with or people who have a history of writing really positively about their products. unfortunately, those types of people will write the least helpful reviews for the consumer. In fact, this type of practice will also hurt the audio company since criticism and constructive feedback is the main force for driving innovation and change. (...that along with competition).

of course, individual reviewers have the right not to write or publish negative feedback on a product out of respect for the company. However, it is my strong opinion that sort of behavior not only hurts the consumers, but also hurts the industry as a whole since product flaws are not being identified early & highlighted for everyone's attention.

Mar 14, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #3,221 of 6,486
'Not writing a review if you do not like a product and only writing a review if you like a product', is entirely different to 'only writing positive reviews on everything'. The two propositions are not the same. Tyranny is the removal of subtlety and context.

Agree, especially if the thoughts are still shared for people's benefit. For professional reviewers I would feel differently perhaps, but having written reviews for blogs as an enthusiast I wouldn't sacrifice my own spare time to write an exhaustive review of something I really didn't like.

Mar 14, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #3,222 of 6,486

If you only write a review about products you like & don't write reviews about products you don't like... then yes, that would lead to a net gain of only positive reviews. you will not write positive reviews on everything as you will simply not write any critical reviews on things you don't like. but you end up with only positives reviews on everything you liked. if everyone did that, then we would actually end up with positive reviews on everything lol as everyone likes different things

in my personal opinion, negative reviews are infinitely more helpful than positive ones. no pair of headphones is perfect and the flaws are more important than the strengths when someone is deciding between products. they want to find one that does not have any flaws in sonic areas that they care about.

Mar 14, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #3,223 of 6,486
well, if audio manufacturers only send their equipment to reviewers who have the mentality where they either write a glowing review or send back the product... that means all early reviews from "reviewers" will be universally positive and will not give critical feedback on the product or point out flaws for the consumers.

instead of acting as an unbiased party writing for the consumer market to allow us to make educated decisions, the "reviewer" simply becomes part of the company's promotional PR/advertising/marketing machine.

realistically, it makes good business sense for audio companies to be extremely selective about the people they choose to send out early review units to. They will obviously pick people that they have relationships with or people who have a history of writing really positively about their products. unfortunately, those types of people will write the least helpful reviews for the consumer. In fact, this type of practice will also hurt the audio company since criticism and constructive feedback is the main force for driving innovation and change. (...that along with competition).

of course, individual reviewers have the right not to write or publish negative feedback on a product out of respect for the company. However, it is my strong opinion that sort of behavior not only hurts the consumers, but also hurts the industry as a whole since product flaws are not being identified early & highlighted for everyone's attention.

Sure, but he's not saying he'll keep it to himself if he doesn't like it, only that he won't write up a formal review. Those take hours, much simpler to post a brief review to a forum. The community still gets the data point.

Mar 14, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #3,224 of 6,486
Sure, but he's not saying he'll keep it to himself if he doesn't like it, only that he won't write up a formal review. Those take hours, much simpler to post a brief review to a forum. The community still gets the data point.

In my personal opinion & I mean no offense... the big difference is that he is a professional reviewer. it would be different if it was one of us talking about not writing a review b/c we didn't like it.

but if a professional reviewer refrains from publishing reviews that negatively reflect on a product... it seems that he is no longer a "reviewer," but more just a salesperson.

real reviewers writing reviews get a lot more attention. a single head-fi post gets buried within a few days & is almost impossible to find again.

note: i am not trying to be offensive or argumentative. i am simply stating my honest opinion on the situation. people can do whatever they want & professional reviewers contribute a lot to the community already. i just personally think there is a responsibility that goes along with being a "professional audio gear reviewer" to report the bad with the good & not filter any information.

Mar 14, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #3,225 of 6,486
Originally Posted by money4me247 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

it seems that he is no longer a "reviewer," but more just a salesperson.

Exactly, hence my original comment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back