Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
May 15, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #5,251 of 6,486
For me the HD700 isn't even in the same league. The K812 is the best headphone I've ever heard and the most comfortable. I've not heard the HD800 but given the strikingly similar freq response to the K812 I think I'd prefer it in much the same way over the HD700. The HD700 was comfortable but it's tonal balance seemed confused and combined with a soundstage that sounded too artificial made for a very brief ownership for me. I wasn't a huge fan of the HD650 but I think I could live with that headphone. Not so with the HD700.

I had a chance to audition two new cans with the same MSRP as the HD700 today and feel both are more worthy of that money from both a sound and build quality standpoint.

I find the AKG K812 allows me the choice of simply sitting back, closing my eyes and getting lost in the music or listening attentively to hear every nook and cranny the recording has to offer up sonically. They just sound right to me. That's the key to all things audio. Don't simply take my or anyone else's word. Figure out what you like best and be open minded enough to realize that even that might change over time.

Bill

Alright, thanks.

HD800 is the best I've heard so far. I hear totally different music with HD800. It's the way music should be heard.
I'm going to get K812 Pro shortly and another copy of HD800 for outdoor use.

HD700 doesn't seem to be on par with any of them.
I'm also interested in LCD-X. What do you think about LCD-X?
I've seen someone mentioning that it's worse than both HD800 and K812 Pro.

May 15, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #5,252 of 6,486
Thanks! So, EL-8 isn't better than HD700.

HD700 has officially became $599 as brand new on Amazon.
It can be purchased for $420 on Ebay.
I can safely conclude that HD700 is still a better deal even if it's three years older (2012).

Can anyone give more comment on EL-8 vs HD700 vs SRH1840 vs K712 Pro vs K702 vs HD650??

I heard the HD700, its too tizzy in the treble and also the bass is lose, It doesn't have the texture of the bass of el-8 (most dynamics lack the bass textures of planars anyway). The el-8 needed alot of time to grown on me. After burn in I do like it very much now, its slightly faster and tighter than the Lcd-2, but slightly grainier. compared to the HE-500 its less detailed but doesn't have that hot low treble bite. 

May 15, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #5,253 of 6,486
Alright, thanks.

HD800 is the best I've heard so far. I hear totally different music with HD800. It's the way music should be heard.

FWIW, the K712 gives you 90% of what the K812 offers up from a sound quality standpoint IMO for much less $$$. I'd have stopped there if I didn't have comfort issues.

Also, though I've not heard the HD800, I'd say the K812 will be much more similar, more so than the HD700 as strange as that sounds. To me it seems to close to the HD800, like a different take on vanilla as opposed to being chocolate.

Bill

May 15, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #5,254 of 6,486
I heard the HD700, its too tizzy in the treble and also the bass is lose, It doesn't have the texture of the bass of el-8 (most dynamics lack the bass textures of planars anyway). The el-8 needed alot of time to grown on me. After burn in I do like it very much now, its slightly faster and tighter than the Lcd-2, but slightly grainier. compared to the HE-500 its less detailed but doesn't have that hot low treble bite. 

For $700 I'd take the EL-8, open and closed, or the Oppo PM-2 over the HD700 any day of the week.

Bill

May 15, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #5,256 of 6,486
  Alright, thanks.

The LCD-X and LCD-3 sounds different from the HD800 and K812 Pro. check out my signature for some direct comparisons.

edit: I think it's more a matter of preference than one being definitely superior than the other. I ended up buying the LCD-X, but I can easily be happy with the K812 pro or the HD800. I actually personally prefer my HE-560 over all of the rest and my HE-560 get the most head time. I think I would personally purchase the K812 pro over the HD800 if I was trying to get a TOTL dynamic headphone (but then again, just a personal preference). All of these headphones are very technically proficient, really just depends what subtle sonic aspects matter the most to you.

edit2: I own the EL-8 closed, will try to post impressions on it in a few weeks. Want to do some in-depth comparisons against some of the other closed options on the market.

May 16, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #5,257 of 6,486
I was looking for a good pair of closed back headphones around the 600$ price range and settled on the alpha dogs. They seemed the most practical for all genres, but I tried a pair of EL-8s closed and had never heard such precise "imaging" I guess you would call it. Specifically on aphex twins omgyiy switch7. I've never heard anything that intoxicating in a headphone. Im wondering if their are other headphones that provide that trippy precision of sound at a cheaper price. I think 700 would be overdoing it for that one aspect of sound.

May 16, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #5,258 of 6,486
ermmm....not planar.
sub$500 : pandora VI ...sub$200..yamaha mt220...fed with a good clean source.

May 16, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #5,261 of 6,486
for sure, I understand that. Sorry I guess I'm mixing my questions up. I was just wondering about that type of sound regardless of planar/dynamic open/closed, only factoring in lower price. I'll check out the mt 220 it seems like it'd do the trick, thanks for the suggestions.

May 18, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #5,262 of 6,486

12 points for AUDEZE  !!

It  seems hard to  post  positive points for the company but for me is the through .
You realize how serious and competent is the company when you need assistance and you dont live near  their door
Besides all the trouble with their $ 250000 losses (the big brake at the manufacture site) they worked  hard to stand up again
giving golden  costumer service besides all internal troubles  ,doing the best and quick/efficient service to solve costumers problems , when they arise and you need them more than they need you .
I am glad and happy that I had purchased the el8 from them ,some people said that they are bad phones ,I think that those (el8s)
headphones are not universal and  there are not for everyone but many they   will like their sound signature and confort
it is not easy to put a new product without some bugs ,I am completelly sure that they are doing what to be needed to clean those
childhood problems without delay
For me  AUDEZE realized to be a company that their costumers had first priority when assistance is required 
no one paid me for the positivies points here ,I write here because AUDEZE workers deserved these words and want  it to  be  public  
Many companies can learn  from them  how costumers should be treated and problems solved 
next time you buy from AUDEZE you know  what company  they are
thank you AUDEZE
B.G.

May 18, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #5,263 of 6,486

12 points for AUDEZE  !!

It  seems hard to  post  positive points for the company but for me is the through .
You realize how serious and competent is the company when you need assistance and you dont live near  their door
Besides all the trouble with their $ 250000 losses (the big brake at the manufacture site) they worked  hard to stand up again
giving golden  costumer service besides all internal troubles  ,doing the best and quick/efficient service to solve costumers problems , when they arise and you need them more than they need you .
I am glad and happy that I had purchased the el8 from them ,some people said that they are bad phones ,I think that those (el8s)
headphones are not universal and  there are not for everyone but many they   will like their sound signature and confort
it is not easy to put a new product without some bugs ,I am completelly sure that they are doing what to be needed to clean those
childhood problems without delay
For me  AUDEZE realized to be a company that their costumers had first priority when assistance is required 
no one paid me for the positivies points here ,I write here because AUDEZE workers deserved these words and want  it to  be  public  
Many companies can learn  from them  how costumers should be treated and problems solved 
thank you AUDEZE
B.G.

Needs bigger, more colorful fonts.

May 19, 2015 at 6:28 AM Post #5,264 of 6,486

12 points for AUDEZE  !!
[size=small]...[/size]
thank you AUDEZE
B.G.

11 points. I would still like a better guarantee on my EL-8 connectors. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back