Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
May 12, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #5,222 of 6,486
  Sorry if already posted - is there a risk free return period with audeze or is there a restocking fee if i dont like them

restocking fee. :frowning2:

Return Policy: You have 30 days to return your Audeze product. All items must be returned in new condition and will result in a 15% restocking fee

https://www.audeze.com/legal-disclaimer

May 12, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #5,223 of 6,486
  I can totally see that being a problem for some. Fortunately not for me though, not yet that is.

whenever I see this types of headbands, it worries me...my experience with the m50x and ProDJ100 is just horrible comfort. Maybe because I have a pointy skull. I tried putting a towel under and it does help wearing them a bit longer, but can't really beat the comfort that akg or AD...

May 12, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #5,224 of 6,486
Sorry if already posted - is there a risk free return period with audeze or is there a restocking fee if i dont like them

Audeze and all the resellers I'm aware of charge a standard 15% restocking fee, but a handful are a bit more lenient, like RazorDog Audio which charges 10%.

It's a better idea to try to find a meet depending on where you live. Quite a few are coming up around the world: http://www.head-fi.org/f/24/local-regional-head-fi-meets-parties-get-togethers

May 12, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #5,225 of 6,486
I've just listened to them at a local retailer here in San Diego. I've listened to both the open and the closed model and I must say that it was very underwhelming experience. I own a few pairs of headphones and I am looking for headphones that will replace my NAD VISO in my office and will sound more like the Senn HD650 I have at home. 
I listened to the closed version first. despite their heft, they were very comfortable. the cushion was just right for me. I tried to listen to them first via my iphone (6+) and that didn't go very well. even with the volume all the way up, they sounded anemic and dull. after connecting them to some tube amp and a stationary audio source in the store, they sounded much better but still, not 700$ better. the open version was slightly better but I would take the Senn HD 650 (and also the HD 600) over them any day. 
I've only listened to them for about 5-10 minutes but it took me a fraction of the time to fall in love with other headphones. maybe the Audezes require more time or more refined ear then mine to appreciate. I am not sure. I for one, would not get a pair.

May 12, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #5,226 of 6,486
  I've just listened to them at a local retailer here in San Diego. I've listened to both the open and the closed model and I must say that it was very underwhelming experience. I own a few pairs of headphones and I am looking for headphones that will replace my NAD VISO in my office and will sound more like the Senn HD650 I have at home. 
I listened to the closed version first. despite their heft, they were very comfortable. the cushion was just right for me. I tried to listen to them first via my iphone (6+) and that didn't go very well. even with the volume all the way up, they sounded anemic and dull. after connecting them to some tube amp and a stationary audio source in the store, they sounded much better but still, not 700$ better. the open version was slightly better but I would take the Senn HD 650 (and also the HD 600) over them any day. 
I've only listened to them for about 5-10 minutes but it took me a fraction of the time to fall in love with other headphones. maybe the Audezes require more time or more refined ear then mine to appreciate. I am not sure. I for one, would not get a pair.

So, I just tried my open El-8's with the iPhone 6 with the volume at max and it was loud enough to be uncomfortable. 320kbps from the standard player, no amp (and the european version of the iPhone which I understand have a loudness limit imposed on them). 
Sounds pretty decent to me (at 75-80% volume). It sounds quite a lot better with an amp though. 

So our ears are not the same is all I'm saying. 

Just out of curiosity, what type of music were you listening to? These cans are not very nice with badly recorded and mastered stuff (and IMHO awesome with the good stuff). 

May 12, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #5,227 of 6,486

So, I just tried my open El-8's with the iPhone 6 with the volume at max and it was loud enough to be uncomfortable. 320kbps from the standard player, no amp (and the european version of the iPhone which I understand have a loudness limit imposed on them). 
Sounds pretty decent to me (at 75-80% volume). It sounds quite a lot better with an amp though. 

So our ears are not the same is all I'm saying. 

Just out of curiosity, what type of music were you listening to? These cans are not very nice with badly recorded and mastered stuff (and IMHO awesome with the good stuff). 

listened to a few things : Nancy Sinatra, Finley Quaye, some Jazz (The Budos Band, Hank Levy). The volume was 'decent' but I could use more, especially while testing the cans and not listening for a long period of time.

May 12, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #5,228 of 6,486
  listened to a few things : Nancy Sinatra, Finley Quaye, some Jazz (The Budos Band, Hank Levy). The volume was 'decent' but I could use more, especially while testing the cans and not listening for a long period of time.

Ok, yeah that type of music would need more volume. The stuff that hurt my ears was more modern, louder stuff (like The Knife - Silent Shouts). When listening to Pink Floyds - Wish You Were Here with only the iPhone a little more volume would be nice. 

May 14, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #5,229 of 6,486

We've received reports that the connectors can become loose with increased lateral movement. We’ve shipped many, many EL-8s by now and find connector issues are only a small percentage of the total. If you have any issues with the connectors, please let us know immediately (support@audeze.com) so we can examine them. For most users they hold fine, others say they're not tight enough; perhaps we have to find a better "hold tolerance." We're definitely looking into it and pay attention to the comments made here as we continue to improve our products based on feedback.

All you guys needed to do to secure the connection was recess the plug into the headphone a bit more. Maybe a consideration for rev2. If you guys are that confident in the connector's reliability, you should up the warranty for that part only to say 5 years. The connectors were the ONLY reason I ended up returning and that's too bad cuz I really liked the headphone.

May 14, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #5,230 of 6,486
How would you rank EL-8 (Open) among Shure SRH1840, AKG K712, AKG K702, Sennheiser HD700, Sennheiser HD650, Audio Technica R70x?
They're all $400-$600 price range reference professional headphones.
EL-8 isn't designed for reference, but I want to know how well it competes with other pro headphones.
I think its design is much better than that of other headphones in the list.

May 14, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #5,231 of 6,486
  How would you rank EL-8 (Open) among Shure SRH1840, AKG K712, AKG K702, Sennheiser HD700, Sennheiser HD650, Audio Technica R70x?
They're all $400-$600 price range reference professional headphones.
EL-8 isn't designed for reference, but I want to know how well it competes with other pro headphones.
I think its design is much better than that of other headphones in the list.

My take: (I have EL8, SRH1840, HD700 and HD650) sorry, no AKG 7 series yet, K7XX on the way.
EL8 being the only planar has that nice tight bass and fast transients that only the HD700 gets close to, easy to drive with portable devices, heaviest of the 4, connectors aren't that great, least comfortable of the 4.
HD650 has the best overall sound of the 4, best mids, hardest to drive correctly, very comfortable
HD700 has the widest sound stage and is the most resolving of the 4, somewhat picky on amps (best results with tube amp), most comfortable of the 4 IMO
SRH1840 most mellow easy to listen to, pairs well with most amps, okay sound with portable devices, same comfort as HD650
YMMV

May 14, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #5,232 of 6,486

All you guys needed to do to secure the connection was recess the plug into the headphone a bit more. Maybe a consideration for rev2. If you guys are that confident in the connector's reliability, you should up the warranty for that part only to say 5 years. The connectors were the ONLY reason I ended up returning and that's too bad cuz I really liked the headphone.

How many more EL-8 headphones would be sold if Audeze addressed the connector issue? There are probably a dozen members who have returned theirs on head-fi.org alone

A confidence inspiring warranty would go a long way. Right now, Audeze is showing a distinct lack of faith in an otherwise good  product.  

Welcome to #ConnectorGate

May 14, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #5,233 of 6,486

where did you hear them at in San Diego? I'm interested in trying them out too at a local retailer

May 14, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #5,235 of 6,486
I wouldn't mind the way the headband was designed as much if the foam in the little suspended head cushion was a little denser, right now it is pretty thin which doesn't help absorb the weight of the metal headband as well as it could. Mind you this isn't a major issue, its just a simple little fix that Audeze should have implemented. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back