Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
May 14, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #5,236 of 6,486
My take: (I have EL8, SRH1840, HD700 and HD650) sorry, no AKG 7 series yet, K7XX on the way.
EL8 being the only planar has that nice tight bass and fast transients that only the HD700 gets close to, easy to drive with portable devices, heaviest of the 4, connectors aren't that great, least comfortable of the 4.
HD650 has the best overall sound of the 4, best mids, hardest to drive correctly, very comfortable
HD700 has the widest sound stage and is the most resolving of the 4, somewhat picky on amps (best results with tube amp), most comfortable of the 4 IMO
SRH1840 most mellow easy to listen to, pairs well with most amps, okay sound with portable devices, same comfort as HD650
YMMV

Thanks! So, EL-8 isn't better than HD700.

HD700 has officially became $599 as brand new on Amazon.
It can be purchased for $420 on Ebay.
I can safely conclude that HD700 is still a better deal even if it's three years older (2012).

Can anyone give more comment on EL-8 vs HD700 vs SRH1840 vs K712 Pro vs K702 vs HD650??

May 14, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #5,237 of 6,486
My take: (I have EL8, SRH1840, HD700 and HD650) sorry, no AKG 7 series yet, K7XX on the way.
EL8 being the only planar has that nice tight bass and fast transients that only the HD700 gets close to, easy to drive with portable devices, heaviest of the 4, connectors aren't that great, least comfortable of the 4.
HD650 has the best overall sound of the 4, best mids, hardest to drive correctly, very comfortable
HD700 has the widest sound stage and is the most resolving of the 4, somewhat picky on amps (best results with tube amp), most comfortable of the 4 IMO
SRH1840 most mellow easy to listen to, pairs well with most amps, okay sound with portable devices, same comfort as HD650
YMMV

I can safely conclude that HD700 is still a better deal even if it's three years older (2012).

Can anyone give more comment on EL-8 vs HD700 vs SRH1840 vs K712 Pro vs K702 vs HD650??

The EL8 and the HD700 have such different sound signatures that they really aren't comparable. If you like one, you probably won't like the other.

Comparing the release price of one headphone to a product that's been on the market for several years and is seeing large price cuts due to its failure to sell well at the original MSRP might not be the fairest comparison.

May 14, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #5,239 of 6,486
No, it's not because it didn't sell.
Their biggest selling HD650 became $299 as brand new too.
It was $499 just four months ago. I think they're making new headphones.

They've been dropping the price on the HD700 for some time. I doubt they would be doing that if sales were strong. The HD800 price has held steady. Being kind, the HE700 hasn't been the best received model in Sennheiser's lineup.

Either way, it's hard to imagine someone choosing between the 700 and the EL8 based on price alone due to the huge differences in presentation. Most people will have a strong preference one way or the other.

No announcement on new models from Sennheiser. Doesn't mean they aren't coming, but it's all speculation as of now.

May 14, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #5,240 of 6,486
They've been dropping the price on the HD700 for some time. I doubt they would be doing that if sales were strong. The HD800 price has held steady. Being kind, the HE700 hasn't been the best received model in Sennheiser's lineup.

Either way, it's hard to imagine someone choosing between the 700 and the EL8 based on price alone due to the huge differences in presentation. Most people will have a strong preference one way or the other.

No announcement on new models from Sennheiser. Doesn't mean they aren't coming, but it's all speculation as of now.

HD800's price even went up to $1599 a week ago.
It's because HD800 is inarguably the best.
AKG has released a new K812 at the same price range but it's apparent that it can't match HD800.

In terms of detail, sound stage, accuracy, comfort, what would you choose? HD700 vs EL-8?

May 14, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #5,241 of 6,486

HD800's price even went up to $1599 a week ago.
It's because HD800 is inarguably the best.
AKG has released a new K812 at the same price range but it's apparent that it can't match HD800.

In terms of detail, sound stage, accuracy, comfort, what would you choose? HD700 vs EL-8?

I like the Audeze house sound, so preferred the EL-8. The 700 is more comfortable but I'm one of the rare people who find the Audeze phones reasonably comfortable. Maybe wearing a hockey goalie mask for three decades while playing has made me less sensitive to the weight of the Audezes :). I also prefer the LCD3F to the HD800, so factor that in to my opinions.

If there is any way you could audition them, you really should. What I like may or may not line up with your preferences.

What type(s) of music do you listen to?

May 14, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #5,242 of 6,486
The EL8 and the HD700 have such different sound signatures that they really aren't comparable. If you like one, you probably won't like the other.

Comparing the release price of one headphone to a product that's been on the market for several years and is seeing large price cuts due to its failure to sell well at the original MSRP might not be the fairest comparison.

Agree, these two are really different and that's why I still have both, they each have their strong point with different genre of music.

There is a new Senn coming out called HD630VB, there was a review posted somewhere

May 14, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #5,243 of 6,486

Agree, these two are really different and that's why I still have both, they each have their strong point with different genre of music.

There is a new Senn coming out called HD630VB, there was a review posted somewhere

Very good point on suitability by genre.

I saw Jude's thread on the HD630vb - I may be wrong, but didn't see it as a replacement for any of their existing headphones. It looks like more of an upscale Beats competitor based on the styling and variable bass function.

May 15, 2015 at 5:18 AM Post #5,244 of 6,486
Very good point on suitability by genre.

I saw Jude's thread on the HD630vb - I may be wrong, but didn't see it as a replacement for any of their existing headphones. It looks like more of an upscale Beats competitor based on the styling and variable bass function.

Some think because of the model number being "HD630vb" it would be in the same category as the HD600/650 but yea, after reading the write up it doesn't look like a closed HD600/650 that many are looking for.  Just my opinion, it looks ugly
tongue.gif

May 15, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #5,245 of 6,486
My new headphone stand arrived. Big possibility that it will scare the **** out of me in the middle of the night. 

May 15, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #5,246 of 6,486
  My new headphone stand arrived. Big possibility that it will scare the **** out of me in the middle of the night. 

Yep.  I understand 
beerchug.gif

May 15, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #5,248 of 6,486

I feel from a sound quality standpoint the EL-8 is better than the HD700.  In fact I prefer the K712 over the HD700.  I could not sell the HD700 fast enough.

Bill

May 15, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #5,250 of 6,486
Would you comment on HD700 vs AKG K812 Pro?

For me the HD700 isn't even in the same league. The K812 is the best headphone I've ever heard and the most comfortable. I've not heard the HD800 but given the strikingly similar freq response to the K812 I think I'd prefer it in much the same way over the HD700. The HD700 was comfortable but it's tonal balance seemed confused and combined with a soundstage that sounded too artificial made for a very brief ownership for me. I wasn't a huge fan of the HD650 but I think I could live with that headphone. Not so with the HD700.

I had a chance to audition two new cans with the same MSRP as the HD700 today and feel both are more worthy of that money from both a sound and build quality standpoint.

I find the AKG K812 allows me the choice of simply sitting back, closing my eyes and getting lost in the music or listening attentively to hear every nook and cranny the recording has to offer up sonically. They just sound right to me. That's the key to all things audio. Don't simply take my or anyone else's word. Figure out what you like best and be open minded enough to realize that even that might change over time.

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back