Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
May 19, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #5,266 of 6,486
What is the guarantee? What is wrong with your connectors?

Certainly search this thread for "connector" and you will see a higher than normal number of concerns.

This thread covers the issue well. There is a response from Audeze too:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/764120/fatal-flaw-with-audeze-el-8

As an otherwise happy EL-8 owner, I would like to see Audeze offer some assurance beyond "we have tested it". An extended warranty  would go a long way toward proving that Audeze actually believes what they are saying.

I honestly think addressing connector concerns will actually improve Audeze's bottom line. More than one Head-Fi member have stated they won't consider buying the EL-8 until the the problem is fixed.

May 19, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #5,267 of 6,486

Certainly search this thread for "connector" and you will see a higher than normal number of concerns.

This thread covers the issue well. There is a response from Audeze too:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/764120/fatal-flaw-with-audeze-el-8

As an otherwise happy EL-8 owner, I would like to see Audeze offer some assurance beyond "we have tested it". An extended warranty  would go a long way toward proving that Audeze actually believes what they are saying.

I honestly think addressing connector concerns will actually improve Audeze's bottom line. More than one Head-Fi member have stated they won't consider buying the EL-8 until the the problem is fixed.

I have 2 pair (demos) with no issues so just wondering what issues you are having, are you having issues? Also, Audeze has a warranty and backs up their product, so not sure what your constant issue seems to be?

May 19, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #5,268 of 6,486

I have 2 pair (demos) with no issues so just wondering what issues you are having, are you having issues? Also, Audeze has a warranty and backs up their product, so not sure what your constant issue seems to be?

Just read the complaints: The EL-8 connector does not lock in place. It moves and can ultimately be pulled out with minimal force. You can induce noise by wiggling the connector.  It is reasonable  to question the long term reliability of a connector that is always moving.  

Every other element in my listening chain has a positive connection.  The EL-8 connector is a weak link.

My EL-8 cables are now glued in place, so I will probably not suffer long term wear. The same can't be said for other EL-8 owners.  

If these components are as reliable as Audeze claims, then offering an extended connector warranty costs them nothing but lessens the legitimate concerns of new buyers. #ConnectorGate

May 19, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #5,269 of 6,486
  Just read the complaints: The EL-8 connector does not lock in place. It moves and can ultimately be pulled out with minimal force. You can induce noise by wiggling the connector.  It is reasonable  to question the long term reliability of a connector that is always moving.  

Every other element in my listening chain has a positive connection.  The EL-8 connector is a weak link.

My EL-8 cables are now glued in place, so I will probably not suffer long term wear. The same can't be said for other EL-8 owners.  

If these components are as reliable as Audeze claims, then offering an extended connector warranty costs them nothing but lessens the legitimate concerns of new buyers. #ConnectorGate

So you are saying yours kept coming out? What kind of activities are you doing while listening?  I just kind of sit there normally and as I said I am not having any issues.

May 19, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #5,270 of 6,486
Travel Case for my El-8 Closed

After much searching for the "goldilocks" of travel cases for EL-8s and my associated gear I finally found one with the dimensions I was looking for. After researching the Pelican cases, none of them quite gave me the form factor I wanted.  The computer cases were too thin and wider than needed and the cases similar to what Audeze uses for the LCD line was too deep to want to travel with.  Looked at all of the name brands including SKB and Seahorse, but couldn't find the ideal size.

Stumbled upon the Ape Case ACWP6025.  It's very similar to Pelican in design, with pick and pluck style foam and a waterproof seal

Inner Dimensions:  Width:12.75″ Height:10.5″ Depth:3.75"
Outer Dimensions: Width:13.75″ Height:12.5″ Depth:4.5″

Pictured below is the 6025 with the following gear stowed:
Audeze EL-8 Closed
Audeze EL-8 cable
iBasso DX90
FiiO E12 (under the DX90)
Anker 20W 2-Port USB Wall Charger with Foldable Plug
Micro USB to USB cable

Hope this helps anyone looking for a secure travel case for your EL-8s

May 19, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #5,271 of 6,486

After much searching for the "goldilocks" of travel cases for EL-8s and my associated gear I finally found one with the dimensions I was looking for. After researching the Pelican cases, none of them quite gave me the form factor I wanted.  The computer cases were too thin and wider than needed and the cases similar to what Audeze uses for the LCD line was too deep to want to travel with.  Looked at all of the name brands including SKB and Seahorse, but couldn't find the ideal size.

Stumbled upon the Ape Case ACWP6025.  It's very similar to Pelican in design, with pick and pluck style foam and a waterproof seal

I bought the larger Seahorse case.

I like your choice much better
beerchug.gif

May 19, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #5,272 of 6,486

I bought the larger Seahorse case.

I like your choice much better
beerchug.gif

Thanks. I was going to pick up the Seahorse until I stumbled onto the Ape Case while googling.

May 20, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #5,274 of 6,486
About the el8 connectors  problem i just found an effective cure using no glue and   almost no cost ,an  inviisible change (also reversible )
both connectors  stay now firm in place with a minimal  lateral movement and require many times the normal force to take them out 
I will arrange some diagrams/pictures/explanations  how to do it in the next days
now you can relax and listen to your  music without worries and frustration ( both  connectors always in place )

May 21, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #5,275 of 6,486
I'm having a connector issue. Getting a replacement EL-8 from Audeze, they've been really easy about dealing with the issue so far. Not sure if I trust these connectors to last either way though. This is the most expensive pair of headphones I've bought to date so I'm a little let down that they are problematic within 2-3 months of purchasing. 

That said...I have the closed version and I think they sound fantastic...but who am I...I just got into headphones less than a year ago.

May 21, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #5,276 of 6,486
I'm having a connector issue. Getting a replacement EL-8 from Audeze, they've been really easy about dealing with the issue so far. Not sure if I trust these connectors to last either way though. This is the most expensive pair of headphones I've bought to date so I'm a little let down that they are problematic within 2-3 months of purchasing. 

That said...I have the closed version and I think they sound fantastic...but who am I...I just got into headphones less than a year ago.

You have ears and know what good music sounds like! Don't let anyone else tell you different. What issue did you have? Just curious because I have run into zero issues myself

May 21, 2015 at 1:47 AM Post #5,277 of 6,486
You have ears and know what good music sounds like! Don't let anyone else tell you different. What issue did you have? Just curious because I have run into zero issues myself

I do have ears! hahaha

I was having the audio cut out when the headphones were amped...wiggling the connectors lead to it happening. Only happened when it was amped though...which is weird. Happened with two amps and I check the amp connectors with other headphones and had no issues.

They got back to me pretty quickly and are replacing the headphones. Can't beat customer service that doesn't give you any hassle.  

May 21, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #5,278 of 6,486
Audeze  EL8 closed backs at apple store

http://store.apple.com/us/product/HHLS2ZM/A/audeze-el-8-closed-back-headphones?fnode=38c7143ff087ffce71bdac25c7a6e2b9bc02916b47aa37d9f47bc1d84ba8541b793176df9b5b92fcb8816bb77b4a01d94bbb86bb0737a14eae6b8a84273d765b93eb29f9baac1a361fb4b8646a6c32b68a3da3f727d60359161358cbbb44b0f89613daafc1e9c33855c4b451096b54e7

May 21, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #5,279 of 6,486
My impressions after a week with not one but two pairs of EL-8 closed...

The EL-8 on certain source material sounds weird in the upper mids lower treble region.  Vocals sound unnatural and completely "off".  If you have source material that you truly know how its supposed to sound I'd suggest trying all of it on the EL-8's before committing to a purchase.  I used almost exclusively FLAC and DSD64 sources that I know fairly well.  Oddly after the first two listening sessions I was motivated to write a review singing the praises of Audeze EL-8's and how they're the best value in headphones.  This was primarily because the "weirdness" I describe only presents itself on certain tracks.  As I have moved through different headphones AKG K550, HD600, HD650, Westone W40s, and now Audeze EL-8C I have found that there are plenty of tracks that sound great on all of them.  I call these tracks balanced/easy source material.  On this material the EL-8's were wonderful.  Refined mids and slightly rolled off highs, and I believe I even got a taste of the sweet sweet Audeze bass.  But what I've found is that a negative definition works better as you get to higher end headphones.  In other words, "how much of the music I love sounds annoying or horrible on the headphone I'm analyzing".  For me the deal breaker that got the EL-8 "voted off the island" was Norah Jones in DSD.  The EL-8C makes her sound like she's singing through a horn.  Or like the original vocal track was removed, then run through an AM radio, and re-recorded with the rest of the high fidelity instrument tracks.  This is where the term "weird vocals" comes from when describing the EL-8's.  I listen to classical, rock, alternative, jazz, country you name it.  Even trance and dubstep when the mood strikes me (fwiw dubstep/deep bass sounds great on the EL-8).  But if I spend the extra money to buy music in DSD and any of it doesn't sound right (or enjoyable) with the gear I'm auditioning then it must go.

My suggestion for EL-8's is to buy from Crutchfield or anyone else that has 60-day refund without a restocking fee and make sure to listen to all the music you really love before deciding these are keepers.

I am half tempted to try the open-back as people say they sound way different.  It's just the EL-8C are so far off the mark (for me) that I doubt the open back will cut it.  I am oddly drawn to the LCD-2's now that I've had a taste of Audeze bass and will be doing some extended listening at a local dealer next week.

My $.02.

May 21, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #5,280 of 6,486
  My impressions after a week with not one but two pairs of EL-8 closed...

The EL-8 on certain source material sounds weird in the upper mids lower treble region.  Vocals sound unnatural and completely "off".  If you have source material that you truly know how its supposed to sound I'd suggest trying all of it on the EL-8's before committing to a purchase.  I used almost exclusively FLAC and DSD64 sources that I know fairly well.  Oddly after the first two listening sessions I was motivated to write a review singing the praises of Audeze EL-8's and how they're the best value in headphones.  This was primarily because the "weirdness" I describe only presents itself on certain tracks.  As I have moved through different headphones AKG K550, HD600, HD650, Westone W40s, and now Audeze EL-8C I have found that there are plenty of tracks that sound great on all of them.  I call these tracks balanced/easy source material.  On this material the EL-8's were wonderful.  Refined mids and slightly rolled off highs, and I believe I even got a taste of the sweet sweet Audeze bass.  But what I've found is that a negative definition works better as you get to higher end headphones.  In other words, "how much of the music I love sounds annoying or horrible on the headphone I'm analyzing".  For me the deal breaker that got the EL-8 "voted off the island" was Norah Jones in DSD.  The EL-8C makes her sound like she's singing through a horn.  Or like the original vocal track was removed, then run through an AM radio, and re-recorded with the rest of the high fidelity instrument tracks.  This is where the term "weird vocals" comes from when describing the EL-8's.  I listen to classical, rock, alternative, jazz, country you name it.  Even trance and dubstep when the mood strikes me (fwiw dubstep/deep bass sounds great on the EL-8).  But if I spend the extra money to buy music in DSD and any of it doesn't sound right (or enjoyable) with the gear I'm auditioning then it must go.

My suggestion for EL-8's is to buy from Crutchfield or anyone else that has 60-day refund without a restocking fee and make sure to listen to all the music you really love before deciding these are keepers.

I am half tempted to try the open-back as people say they sound way different.  It's just the EL-8C are so far off the mark (for me) that I doubt the open back will cut it.  I am oddly drawn to the LCD-2's now that I've had a taste of Audeze bass and will be doing some extended listening at a local dealer next week.

My $.02.

If you read my impressions and some others from earlier in this thread, there have been many comments about vocals sounding off on closed. To me on my own sources, the vocals sounded distant, how I described it is as if someone moved the speakers projecting vocals to the opposite end of the room. I have tried both and i'll tell you this. The open sound much better in the vocal area. Emphasis on much. sound stage is a bit wider, bass a bit tighter as well.

That being said like you, I was considering to buy LCD2's from the get go, so I just went ahead and bought LCD 2f's after my EL-8 Demo. I'm still searching for a closed back option, but the EL-8 and the XC arent for me for their own reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back