Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Feb 7, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #2,251 of 6,486

How would it make no sense to produce a stunning headphone at a lower price? Its called beating the competition. (I'm not saying that the EL-8 is an LCD-X killer or even as good as the LCD-X, just making a point).

Its economics 101.......Audeze is not putting the difference between the cost of a $699 headphone and the cost of a $1945. headphone into their pocket.  The LCD3 (and 2) is made with better components therefore the sound, generally speaking is better on a their $2k headphone than their 2/3 less headphone at $700. 
Is it 300% better? Probably not, but certainly it is much better as it should be.

The EL-8 is probably a 'stunning' headphone for the sub $1,000 price range. But of course it is not a LCD killer.

Feb 7, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #2,252 of 6,486
^ you say they're much better as it should be? So, you've heard them both? I must have missed your impressions.

Feb 7, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #2,253 of 6,486
Mikemercer, thanks for the impressions on certain songs etc. Do you think you could do a basic summary of the headphones? For example bass quantity / quality / impact / sub bass, lower / upper midrange amount etc., treble bright / dark, sibilance, smooth / sharp etc. size of soundstage, frequency response (guess) etc.

Does the EL-8 have the legendary bass of the LCD2 and a bigger soundstage?

I'm curious as to how these compare to similarly priced cans and even the bigger brother LCD line.

Obviously these are meant for a different if not side stepped market than the LCD but in almost every instance having more options in a quality product line is not a bad thing.

Orthos are my fav type of headphone and there are few closed Orthos out there so having a wider selection is always a good thing imo.

Feb 7, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #2,254 of 6,486

Its economics 101.......Audeze is not putting the difference between the cost of a $699 headphone and the cost of a $1945. headphone into their pocket.  The LCD3 (and 2) is made with better components therefore the sound, generally speaking is better on a their $2k headphone than their 2/3 less headphone at $700. 
Is it 300% better? Probably not, but certainly it is much better as it should be.

The EL-8 is probably a 'stunning' headphone for the sub $1,000 price range. But of course it is not a LCD killer.

Feb 8, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #2,255 of 6,486

And, THUS FAR - for my tastes, I can't think of another set a cans near this price that comes close!

So you think that the EL-8 sound much better than the HD650 ? 

IMO, the HD650 are 90% as good as the LCD-2F when properly driven by a good amp like the Crack or the Valhalla 2 so I imagine that the EL-8 must be technically very close to the LCD-2F ?

Feb 8, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #2,257 of 6,486
EL-8 vs he560 would be an interesting comparison, although the he560 retails for $200 more the street price is about the same. 

So you think that the EL-8 sound much better than the HD650 ? 

IMO, the HD650 are 90% as good as the LCD-2F when properly driven by a good amp like the Crack or the Valhalla 2 so I imagine that the EL-8 must be technically very close to the LCD-2F ?

This is an interesting question. The 650 does get you in the neighborhood of the lcd2 but certainly not on the same street. So it will be interesting to see how much performance the EL-8 offers compared to the lcd-2. If early impressions hold true, the EL-8 may be voiced more similarly to the lcd-x instead of the lcd-2. Can we say "baby x?" 
  Mike, I don't know if you heard the HE-560 but I can get them used for the same price as new EL-8's. If you've heard them, I'd love a comparison. 

EL-8 vs he560 would be an interesting comparison, although the he560 retails for $200 the street price is about the same. 

Feb 8, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #2,258 of 6,486
I agree.
The EL-8 vs HE-560 would be very interesting indeed.

Feb 8, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #2,261 of 6,486

Now the price of the EL-8 $170 more expensive in Canada 
mad.gif

http://www.hifiheadphones.ca/audeze-el8-open-back-headphones/

$870 + taxes + shipping + probably another $80 for a longer cable.

Feb 8, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #2,263 of 6,486

If that is the case, then it may indicate some clever design related to comfort.
i.e. It measures on the scales as being heavier - but feels lighter by the wearer.

LOL.  this response comes from left field.  

Murrays.  your avatar.  A perfect visual explanation of noise-shaping.  If anyone wonders how Delta Sigma works, there is your visual.  

Sorry bout that, folks.  The audio nerd in me got carried away.  

Carry on. 

Andrew

Feb 8, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #2,264 of 6,486
  EL-8 vs he560 would be an interesting comparison, although the he560 retails for $200 more the street price is about the same. 

This is an interesting question. The 650 does get you in the neighborhood of the lcd2 but certainly not on the same street. So it will be interesting to see how much performance the EL-8 offers compared to the lcd-2. If early impressions hold true, the EL-8 may be voiced more similarly to the lcd-x instead of the lcd-2. Can we say "baby x?" 
EL-8 vs he560 would be an interesting comparison, although the he560 retails for $200 the street price is about the same. 

-- Working on response and further Impressions RIGHT NOW--
to be posted ASAP (bangin' away on the keyboard as you see this)

got a BIT distracted this weekend - as I got a prototype of the CEntrance HiFi-Skyn for impressions and a "sneak peak" review,
When I hooked it up to the EL-8s - the sonic synergy has been so addictive I've been listening to this combo no matter where I go and what I'm doing,
therefore my wifeys been angry at me since Fri. night (when it arrived)!!!!

SO:
GETTING BACK TO THIS - SO SORRY FOR THE DELAYS!!
again, workin' away on more EL-8 stuff NOW!

Feb 8, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #2,265 of 6,486

Now the price of the EL-8 $170 more expensive in Canada 
mad.gif

http://www.hifiheadphones.ca/audeze-el8-open-back-headphones/

$870 + taxes + shipping + probably another $80 for a longer cable.

There will be better Canadian options.....much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back