Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Feb 8, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #2,266 of 6,486

There will be better Canadian options.....much better.

Where ? 
wink.gif

Feb 8, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #2,267 of 6,486
I really hope that these headphones have the LCD 2 sub bass and also a big soundstage.... Those 2 things would make them worth the extra £200 over HE400i. Need to see some comparisons to other headphones!

Feb 8, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #2,268 of 6,486

So you think that the EL-8 sound much better than the HD650 ? 

IMO, the HD650 are 90% as good as the LCD-2F when properly driven by a good amp like the Crack or the Valhalla 2 so I imagine that the EL-8 must be technically very close to the LCD-2F ?

I like the HD650s - actually - before I got my HD800s they were my FAVE pair of Sennheiser cans! YES: I think the EL-8s have a richer sound than the 650s. They are, for me, far more immersing musically, especially in the mids and the lower midrange

This is all very personal/subjective - more than some realize - just like loudspeakers in the high-end are known to be the most "personal" choice when it comes to putting together a stereo system...

But: I don't know if I'd necessarily say the EL-8 is "technically very close to the LCD-2 w/ Fazor" 

I just fell in love w/ the LCD-2s this year - so much so I gave them Product of the Year at Headphone.Guru - as it was ALWAYS all about the LCD-3s for me before the 2 w/ Fazor (and I still think the LCD-3s w/ Fazor is the KING of the Audeze line) - That said...

I'd say, knowing this is probably not "technical" enough for many of you (but they'll be more on this in my official EL-8 Early Impressions piece at EnjoyTheMusic) - but I think the EL-8s have the soul of the LCD-2 w/ Fazor - especially in the midrange - being so luscious and having such a magnetic presence in that area - like the original + new LCD-2s.

In fact, the more they settle-in, especially in the bass and sound-staging, the EL-8s remind me more and more of a collision between the LCD-X and LCD-2 - but, on a smaller scale (if that makes any sense). Maybe this would help illustrate that statement a lil' better: The EL-8 open-backs are beginning to sound like the little brother of the LCD-X, with the colorful (NOT-colored) and vibrant midrange of the LCD-2.

That paint an OK picture for ya??

More responses to direct inquiries comin' ASAP.

Bout to share further Impressions...

Feb 8, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #2,270 of 6,486
earpads measurements (hxwxd) when u have time
smily_headphones1.gif

yup!

I got your inquiry here in my notes bro - sorry its taking a bit of time - juggling work, gathering these impressions and taking care of the wifey.

I'll do the measurements myself if needed - but hoping to get this intel back to you sooner - I dropped Alex Rosson a message to see if they had the measurements on-hand - if he's too slammed as usual I'm ON IT.

Feb 8, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #2,272 of 6,486
  I like the HD650s - actually - before I got my HD800s they were my FAVE pair of Sennheiser cans! YES: I think the EL-8s have a richer sound than the 650s. They are, for me, far more immersing musically, especially in the mids and the lower midrange

This is all very personal/subjective - more than some realize - just like loudspeakers in the high-end are known to be the most "personal" choice when it comes to putting together a stereo system...

But: I don't know if I'd necessarily say the EL-8 is "technically very close to the LCD-2 w/ Fazor" 

I just fell in love w/ the LCD-2s this year - so much so I gave them Product of the Year at Headphone.Guru - as it was ALWAYS all about the LCD-3s for me before the 2 w/ Fazor (and I still think the LCD-3s w/ Fazor is the KING of the Audeze line) - That said...

I'd say, knowing this is probably not "technical" enough for many of you (but they'll be more on this in my official EL-8 Early Impressions piece at EnjoyTheMusic) - but I think the EL-8s have the soul of the LCD-2 w/ Fazor - especially in the midrange - being so luscious and having such a magnetic presence in that area - like the original + new LCD-2s.

In fact, the more they settle-in, especially in the bass and sound-staging, the EL-8s remind me more and more of a collision between the LCD-X and LCD-2 - but, on a smaller scale (if that makes any sense). Maybe this would help illustrate that statement a lil' better: The EL-8 open-backs are beginning to sound like the little brother of the LCD-X, with the colorful (NOT-colored) and vibrant midrange of the LCD-2.

More responses to direct inquiries comin' ASAP.

Bout to share further Impressions...

Mike, thanks a lot for your feedback!

I will have to pre-order the EL-8 because of you 
wink.gif

Feb 8, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #2,274 of 6,486
I can't decide based on Mike's impressions if the EL-8 would compliment my X's. I have my preorder in but....

Feb 8, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #2,275 of 6,486
Mike, if you have time could you let us know what you think between the XC and the EL-8. I know what you have right now is the open version but I am on the verge of pressing the buy button on the closed EL, but am being very very hesitant because I do not want to pass up a possible much better sound from the XC if that is the case.

Thank you very very very much.

Feb 8, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #2,276 of 6,486
  I can't decide based on Mike's impressions if the EL-8 would compliment my X's. I have my preorder in but....

still workin' on my next Impressions draft 

Is there anything specific you can think of @Mojo777 that would illuminate that for you that I can help with?

I can say this real quick: I think it's a fantastic compliment for my X's! As a matter of fact - I was only going to pre-order the closed-backs,
but, now, having lived with this for 7 days - non-stop (well, obvious breaks for living, but at LEAST 8-10 hours of listening per day) I asked
my wifey to order the open-backs for my anniversary gift!!

You're the man!

I TRY
THX!

Mike, thanks a lot for your feedback!

I will have to pre-order the EL-8 because of you 
wink.gif

well, if only I got commission!!  
wink_face.gif

I can't imagine you'll regret it

grabbin some lunch - and picking my next track (gonna do impressions based on two specific tracks again,
this time using my ALO Island to drive the EL-8s!!

Also know: ALL the gear I'm using, from big to small, are ALL components that I bought because I wanted them as part of my reference arsenal.
I wouldn't use a source/amp/DAC system for Impressions that I didn't know VERY well. Actually wrote about the Island for the Head-Fi Buyers Guide last year.

Comin' up: Impressions based on this combo (BELOW) - which has been, thus far, my favorite of the small amp/DAC combos I've tried.
The microStreamer was a fantastic sonic compliment to the EL-8s - but the Island has more overall gestalt w/ the 8 (+ deeper resolving capabilities, and, especially sound-staging)...

Feb 8, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #2,278 of 6,486
[quote name="mikemercer" url="/t/749214/audeze-el-8-the-el-8-is-a-must-hear-at-ces-2015/2265#post_11302797"The EL-8 open-backs are beginning to sound like the little brother of the LCD-X, with the colorful (NOT-colored) and vibrant midrange of the LCD-2.

[/quote]

Yes it certainly does, and that is AWESOME news!!!

Feb 8, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #2,279 of 6,486
Hey Mike, I'm not sure if this has been asked, but will you be getting a closed back model for review as well?  Or do you know of anyone that has the closed model that'll be doing a review/impressions?

Feb 8, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #2,280 of 6,486
"In fact, the more they settle-in, especially in the bass and sound-staging, the EL-8s remind me more and more of a collision between the LCD-X and LCD-2 - but, on a smaller scale"

Very interesting for portable cans, but sounds like it's not time to sell the LCD's just yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back