Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Jan 24, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #1,846 of 6,486
Audeze had a few samples at CES so a few folks, including Mike, have already heard the EL-8s.

Quote:
lol no offense, but wldnt it b kinda hard to be objective & critical abt these headphones if u alrdy decided tat they will deliver...? lol. i think everyone here is alrdy rly hyped & xcited for these, but now just wonderin abt sound sig & potential flaws.

sounds rly xciting to b able to play w these early tho! im jelly :p

Jan 24, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #1,847 of 6,486
  I don't mean to add to the hype - 
wholeheartedly - I'm just expressing how I feel about them - from the heart - uncensored...

But I'm going to put that Production unit through its PACES!!!!

you have my word.

and NO - I learned from one of the Founders of high-end audio, so I know how to remain objective while being "Excitable"!
If I think the Production unit doesn't deliver, and I'm wrong - I'll say so LOUD & CLEAR

hahaha no worries. i feel the same way about these exciting new upcoming headphones.

good to hear that you will be critical in your testing as well! those are my favorite types of reviews to read where people dig deep on headphones they love & find everything positive and negative about em :)

excited to read your review!!! don't forget inner earpad dimensions (height, weight, depth) :wink: and long term comfort over multiple hour sessions. the 480 grams is extremely heavy compared to most other headphones.

Jan 24, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #1,848 of 6,486
lol no offense, but wldnt it b kinda hard to be objective & critical abt these headphones if u alrdy decided tat they will deliver...? lol. i think everyone here is alrdy rly hyped & xcited for these, but now just wonderin abt sound sig & potential flaws.

sounds rly xciting to b able to play w these early tho! im jelly :p

I gt wht yr syin bt tis n ndvdual taist n sbjctvst pinyn.

Jan 24, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #1,849 of 6,486
  I gt wht yr syin bt tis n ndvdual taist n sbjctvst pinyn.

tats tru but if the review includes comparisons to other headphones as a reference point, u can get a sense whether u will like the sound signature regardless of the reviewer's subjective taists =P

Jan 24, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #1,850 of 6,486
tats tru but if the review includes comparisons to other headphones as a reference point, u can get a sense whether u will like the sound signature regardless of the reviewer's subjective taists =P

Defo....hence why I asked about th900 comparison...glad Mike loves these too...so he can do a pros and cons...we all love a pros and cons list right!? :)

Jan 24, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #1,851 of 6,486
Defo....hence why I asked about th900 comparison...glad Mike loves these too...so he can do a pros and cons...we all love a pros and cons list right!? :)

Yeah JUST discovered how much I LUV the TH900s at Canjam this year!
Just AWESOME. I borrowed a pair, and am buying a pair for my Sonic Satori Personal Audio Lab  - those cans are just so much FUN: dynamic, GREAT sparkle in the highs and not a hint of brightness, to me,  - the mids are also vivid and dimensional. Bass - RIGHT ON...

I actually don't do straight-up comparisons in product reviews, as I think the product on review should be judged on its own merit. HOWEVER - I think in this case - since the EL-8s are still so new, and in short supply until they get more fine-tuned, and a least I know they're working feverishly t make ithappen on him.. side-by-side comparisons will help people get a feel for

I get to write about it IF it moves me!!

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #1,853 of 6,486
Hi Mike, do you like the Sony z7 too? Would love to see how the closed back audeze compares. Thanks

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #1,855 of 6,486
I just spent an evening with the z7....I'll post some impressions there shortly. Unfortunately only Mike can make the comparison to the EL-8...for now. 

Jan 25, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #1,856 of 6,486
Would be v helpful to see how an audio professional get a fix on the sonic characteristics of a particular can...
Thin thick fast slow etcetc.....( this will give many some kind of reference for a start)

Then how he likes /loves /hates it can kick in later on a personal level.

Jan 25, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #1,857 of 6,486
The great things about these new "cans" is there are already established "Brick & Mortar" Audeze dealerships
where you can "put these on your own head"  &  take them for a "spin" with your own personal "source material" (& I would suggest some of the playback sources you wil be using ; I'll be bringing my Metrum Octave DAC & Auraliti PK100 with me  as the local Audeze dealer doesn't carry these lines & I'm not into portable Audio)

(I may just skip the whole audition if HD800 >Metrum Hex DAC> Fosgate Sig tube Headphone Amp keeps sounding this good (w/ new production 12AX7 tubes at that)....But you should never just have HD800 by itself as long listen sessions
still end up giving me slight amounts of ear fatigue, as I don't take them off when I should) (Yeah, I know what I've recently been saying about the HD800... I didn't listen to them through the Fosgate until very recently... They're extremely sensitive to what you choose to amp them with (didn't realize to what degree though!!)

Jan 25, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #1,860 of 6,486
Currently, I am trying to decide between a Fostex T50RP mod and this new EL-8. I was just about to purchase a ZMFxVibro when I heard about the EL-8. I chose to hold off on purchasing that T50RP mod from ZMF when I heard that the EL-8 is offered the Audez’e house sound at such an affordable price. The ZMF mod is $550 and while I currently have the funds to purchase the EL-8 at $700, the price difference is $150. The amp that I use is the Schiit Lyr 2.

I have listened to the LCD-2, LCD-X, and LCD-3 and found the LCD-X to be my preference of those three. The current headphone that I own is the HiFiMAN HE-500. I am having trouble deciding because while I did enjoy the general sound signature of the Audez’e house sound, I also enjoyed the Alpha Prime T50RP mod from Mr. Speakers.

What do you guys think?
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back