Audeze Deckard - class A amp, USB DAC
Dec 12, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #381 of 652
Excuse me if this had already been asked -- I searched but couldn't find an answer:

I understand that the deckard volume control does affect the RCA preamp outputs.  My question is, are these outputs muted when headphones are plugged into the front jack?

I have powered desktop speakers next to my monitor that I would want to be off when listening to headphones...

Thanks!

Dec 12, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #382 of 652
  Excuse me if this had already been asked -- I searched but couldn't find an answer:

I understand that the deckard volume control does affect the RCA preamp outputs.  My question is, are these outputs muted when headphones are plugged into the front jack?

I have powered desktop speakers next to my monitor that I would want to be off when listening to headphones...

Thanks!

I use mine in this way, The speakers do not work when you have headphones plugged in. When you remove them they work. 

Dec 19, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #384 of 652
I just picked up a Deckard from eBay. The ad states minor scratches on the top. Due to the heat, has anyone put a vinyl sticker or anything on it to "spruce" it up? I was thinking a custom Carbon Fiber Vinyl sticker for the top with the Audeze logo... but don't want to cause the unit to over heat. Thoughts?

Dec 20, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #387 of 652
  I just picked up a Deckard from eBay. The ad states minor scratches on the top. Due to the heat, has anyone put a vinyl sticker or anything on it to "spruce" it up? I was thinking a custom Carbon Fiber Vinyl sticker for the top with the Audeze logo... but don't want to cause the unit to over heat. Thoughts?

The entire thing becomes a giant class-A heat sink in use, so if you leave it on for a long time, that sticker glue would get awfully liquid.  I doubt it would overheat, though, due to the aforementioned use of the case as a heat sink.

FWIW, the heat is centered more towards the front than the back, so taking that into consideration you might find a copacetic position for the sticker.

Dec 20, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #388 of 652
I am one of the (probably many) who grabbed a Deckard in the Audeze BF sale.  I simply intended it to be a nice little addition to my office, where I (previously) just used my ZX2 straight into 'phones or an ifi iDSD if I needed more juice.  

I'm finding it to be a really great amp, however, and worthy of a serious listening rig.  It's tonally on the warm side of neutral, and not quite as subterranean in the bass as some, but it sure is an enjoyable listen.  The midrange, in particular, strikes me as quite lucid yet not analytical at all, being silky and with some of the lilting touch that great tubes give you.

The internal DAC is quite serviceable and responds well to various cables; haven't tried any decrapifier stuff yet, but if it responds to cables, it should respond there.  Even with an inexpensive AQ USB cable it sounds great straight out of a laptop.  No digititis.

I wish it had DSD (from my work Windows machine) but that's really just my defective audiophile gene rearing it's ugly head.

Not at all bad for a relatively inexpensive Class-A SS dac/amp.  I'm really enjoying it!

Dec 20, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #389 of 652
It's a great amp! For the price plus the included DAC (which is quite good) you can't beat it.

The amp has lots of power and sound great with planar headphones and dynamic ones as well.

It has great control over the bass. My Pro900's never sounded better. With a bass emphasized can, there is some serious slam.

Although you guys comment on the "warmish" sound I find it's got nice detailed and extended highs, it's not like a dark amp.

My Nuforce HA-200 is deff warmer/darker, and in comparison the Deckard sounds neutral. Both nice depending on the HP.

I think it is really at a point of serious diminishing returns. To improve upon the performance of something like a Deckard, you've really got to get spendy.

Dec 20, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #390 of 652
That is the main reason I went with the Deckard vs the Oppo HA-1. I have yet to hear the Deckard DAC, as BestBuy didn't have it connected to anything, so I had to feed it from the DAC on my LG V20... but what I heard there was FANTASTIC. I just hope I enjoy it even more with the built in DAC. I listened to the McIntosh HMA100, and while it sounded very nice, it took away some of the Warmth of the Deckard, but added power and clarity. I do think the MHA100 is a step-up, but at a large cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back