Audeze Deckard - class A amp, USB DAC
Feb 2, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #181 of 652
Does the Deckard produce any popping sound in the headset when DAC or PC is turned on? Like 1st generation Schiit amps did. I hope they took care of this minor issue.

Feb 2, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #183 of 652
I'm running mine the same way (Macbook Pro) and haven't had any issues. 

Feb 2, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #184 of 652
Thanks.

Some more questions:
- Can it be used without drivers? In USB 1.1 mode?
- I'm also wondering about USB interface. Is it asynchronous? is the USB chip powered on by the USB power line? Many DACs although require external power, still have their USB interface chip powered by USB line.

I have a Modi 1st gen right now, and had some issues with it being powered by USB - when connected to USB 3.0 sound would occasionally drop-off for 1s when playing games, once in a few minutes. Switched to USB 2.0 and the problem disappeared. Was considering buying a Modi 2U for its spdif interface, just to be safe from such problems. Now I'm considering this thing, but it only have USB.

Feb 2, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #185 of 652
  Does the Deckard produce any popping sound in the headset when DAC or PC is turned on? Like 1st generation Schiit amps did. I hope they took care of this minor issue.

I just turnd off/on my PC and the DAC ,, No problems at all , dead silence ..
Also No popping sound when inserting the headphone cable into the Deckard ..

Some more questions:
- I'm also wondering about USB interface. Is it asynchronous? is the USB chip powered on by the USB power line? Many DACs although require external power, still have their USB interface chip powered by USB line.

- About the drivers ,, I tried it on my other PC ,, the windows install a Generic Headphone Driver but it does not work , you have to install the Audeze driver.

- Am not sure if the USB is asynchronous or not but i think its not that important , I am totally satisfied with the performance it gives for the price , i had the chance to compare it with the McIntosh MHA100 and could not here the deference with the LCD-X , i wish it had more features but for what it do with the USB input is an end game for me ..

- About the USB DAC if it is powered by the USB or not ?  also I don't know  but i am planning to get the iFi micro  iUSB with the iFi Gemini USB cable to make sure that it gets all the clean power it needs, specially that i can hear the deference with iFi Mercury USB Cable straight from my PC .

- The surprising thing is that the iFi iPurifier is not good with the Deckard , it give like a 3D effect on the sound , make it  more fun but not accurate at all . i didn't like it, although it was working fine with the previous DAC/AMP (JDS Labs The Element).
I dont know why
confused.gif

Feb 2, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #186 of 652
You compared Deckard with an endgame AMP. This doesn't say anything about the DAC section. I guess if a purifier makes a difference, then the DAC is not asynchronous, or at least, despite being asynchronous, still has some jitter. Speaking of USB buffer devices, wouldn't a Schiit Wyrm be enough?

Feb 2, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #187 of 652
  You compared Deckard with an endgame AMP. This doesn't say anything about the DAC section. I guess if a purifier makes a difference, then the DAC is not asynchronous, or at least, despite being asynchronous, still has some jitter. Speaking of USB buffer devices, wouldn't a Schiit Wyrm be enough?

McIntosh MHA100 have USB DAC also !!

Feb 5, 2016 at 6:52 AM Post #189 of 652
  Thanks.

Some more questions:

I have a Modi 1st gen right now, and had some issues with it being powered by USB - when connected to USB 3.0 sound would occasionally drop-off for 1s when playing games, once in a few minutes. Switched to USB 2.0 and the problem disappeared. Was considering buying a Modi 2U for its spdif interface, just to be safe from such problems. Now I'm considering this thing, but it only have USB.

It appears that the Deckard after all have one of the most advanced USB chips on the market

The XMOS Asynchronous USB Audio Class 2.0

http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/HW/USB_DAC_Async.htm

Feb 5, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #191 of 652
I was able to identify if my ASUS U7 DAC is sync or async by using USBtrace application: http://www.head-fi.org/t/669127/asus-xonar-u7-dac-amp-impressions-thread/495#post_11957576. Feel free to read the initial thread from here http://www.head-fi.org/t/546092/confirming-whether-your-dac-is-asynchronous-as-claimed-or-not#post_7362553 if you like.

Feb 5, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #192 of 652
  The site just lists Deckard in the list of DACs with Asynchronous USB 2 mode.
It doesn't say which chip is used. Anyway, asynchronous makes sense, that's why it cannot work in Windows without drivers at all.

My dear ,, when you install the driver it clearly says : XMOS USB Audio   
biggrin.gif

BTW most of the listed DACs in the Link Above are using XMOS USB chip , you just didn't notice it ..

Feb 12, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #194 of 652
Hi guys,
I own the Deckard but am thinking of purchasing a meridian explorer 2 DAC for its MQA capabilities (I use TIDAL which will be MQA compatible very shortly).
Question is, would the Meridian work connected via the deckards rca connections?

PC>Meridian>Deckard(via 3.5mm to x2 rca cable)

Has anyone tried this, either with the Explorer or a similar external DAC?

Feb 12, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #195 of 652
Hi guys,
I own the Deckard but am thinking of purchasing a meridian explorer 2 DAC for its MQA capabilities (I use TIDAL which will be MQA compatible very shortly).
Question is, would the Meridian work connected via the deckards rca connections?

PC>Meridian>Deckard(via 3.5mm to x2 rca cable)

Has anyone tried this, either with the Explorer or a similar external DAC?

I don't see why it wouldn't. But to be honest, you might have better gains in fidelity by going to a mulitbit DAC like Schiit's Bifrost. I certainly did.

That being said, I've heard MQA vs other high quality formats but not through a Meridian DAC. Very curious to compare the two, but I have no real use for buying an Explorer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back