Audeze Deckard - class A amp, USB DAC
Sep 28, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #151 of 652
The Burson Soloist and the LCD-3f sound fantastic together. I've been listening to this combo every night for months.
The lcds never sound wrong with the Soloist.

I have also auditioned the Audeze Deckard amp with the lcds. This combo also sound great but is a little bit more laid back in comparison to the Soloist. The Solist gives the Lcds more energy and it just says sounds correct.

I have 5 sets of headphones (lcd2/3fs , Hifiman HE-560 , Mr Speakers Alpha Dogs and Oppo PM-2). They all sound great on the Soloist. The only headphone to date that I feel sounds wrong with the Soloist are the Fostex TH-900s.
The Audeze Deckard is a better fit for them. I am inclined to believe this is due to the speed of both the Burson and the Fostex,both being very fast, and so the sound of the Fostex just comes across as dry and hard sounding. Not harsh, but hard.

I believe I have the same experience with my Audeze Deckard vs Sony UDA-1 on my TH-900. The Sony sounded dry and hard as you described compared to the Deckard. I really liked the sound from my UDA-1 on my D2000 though. 

Oct 5, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #152 of 652
Picked up ones of these on the weekend to replace my portable Centrance HIFI M8.......Very impressed! 
atsmile.gif

My HE400i's have never sounded so good. 
L3000.gif

Thinking of connecting my Naim integrated amp to this and using the Naim as a power amp! Anyone got any experience of this and whether it produced good results? Subjective I know!

Also, my Centrance is now on sale if anyone's interested.

Oct 5, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #153 of 652
pushed my Deckard thro my Nait and it works really well as a preamp, just remember to keep the volumes down at first ! it gets real loud...

Oct 7, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #155 of 652
Well I had my Deckard on my computer table unused for about a week.  Just fired it up now that I have time to listen, and the computer cannot see it.  I've tried different USB cables and different USB ports with no luck.  I have turned it on and off a few times also with no luck.  I guess I have to get it in for a warranty repair.  I don't have a lot of hours on it either.  The only thing that gives me a little pause is that I updated to El Capitan this week and wonder if that has anything to do with it.  Bummer.  

Edit:  I'm actually having problems with another device now so it's starting to look like it's El Capitan and not the Deckard.  Ugh Apple. 

Edit #2:  After doing much under-the -hood troubleshooting and reworking, the issue was El Capitan.

Nov 2, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #156 of 652
Hey everyone! Joining the Audeze Deckard club. Should be here sometime next week. I'll be using them to mainly drive my HE-560 but I do plan on other headphones if I see it pairs well.

I also have a question about the Deckard and driving the AKG k701/k702/k7xx and how it pairs with the Deckard. If anyone has tried it, I would love to know how they pair even though my current setup pairs really nicely.

Thanks and Cheers!

Nov 3, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #157 of 652
Hello

I would think the Deckard will work well with a multitude of headphones, it certainly will not have an issue driving them !
its pretty flat and neutral, maybe slightly bright , but only a touch.

It works well with all my all Sennheisers and AKG 550  , drives the LCD's to ear breaking volumes, and seems robust and built well enough for anything chucked at it !!

Nov 4, 2015 at 7:51 AM Post #158 of 652
  Hey everyone! Joining the Audeze Deckard club. Should be here sometime next week. I'll be using them to mainly drive my HE-560 but I do plan on other headphones if I see it pairs well.

I also have a question about the Deckard and driving the AKG k701/k702/k7xx and how it pairs with the Deckard. If anyone has tried it, I would love to know how they pair even though my current setup pairs really nicely.

Thanks and Cheers!

I've been using the Deckard to drive my k702 (with bass port mod) with excellent results.  Bass is full and tight with extended, smooth treble -- a more balanced and enjoyable headphone experience.  Highly recommended.

Dec 7, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #161 of 652

I believe I have the same experience with my Audeze Deckard vs Sony UDA-1 on my TH-900. The Sony sounded dry and hard as you described compared to the Deckard. I really liked the sound from my UDA-1 on my D2000 though.

Slightly off topic, how would you compare the schiit stack v2 uber to the sony UDA-1 for only headphone listening?

Dec 8, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #162 of 652
Sorry I can't give you a comparison since I have not listened to the stack v2.

Slightly off topic, how would you compare the schiit stack v2 uber to the sony UDA-1 for only headphone listening?

Dec 10, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #163 of 652
Has anyone compared this against a Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon? Or strictly through the DAC against the Grace Design m9xx?

EDIT: Added Grace Design to the question - why? It costs $500, and I've seen the Audeze for less than $600, as a customer returned item still under full warranty.

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:14 AM Post #164 of 652

yes the HPA-3U supports DSD

the back part also look exactly the same

the front is also same but the Matrix has additional led near the headphone jack

If you look closer inside of both amps (Deckard and M-Stage 3U) you'll see that they both look the same in all aspects: 

vs.

Pictures were taken from http://www.head-fi.org/products/matrix-m-stage/reviews/13475 and http://www.head-fi.org/t/749486/audeze-deckard-class-a-amp-usb-dac/120#post_11872066.

The 3 capacitors from bottom-left are different, transistors are not SMD for DECKARD, resistors are not the same as well, but it strikes me that even PCB looks to be the same (at least all components are in exactly the same places), the big capacitors are the same Nichicon Gold Tune, same black-velvet ALPS volume pot, same WIMAs and same relays. It would be very interesting to get more pictures from inside DECKARD, maybe what transistors are in there?

BTW, I own the M-Stage 3B, which is fully balanced & non-DAC headamp (sort of a 3U, but balanced). Reviews and mods here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/770610/introducing-the-matrix-m-stage-hpa-3u-and-hpa-3b-review-to-follow.

L.E.: I think I missed heishiro's post here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/749486/audeze-deckard-class-a-amp-usb-dac/120#post_11890471 showing both amps side-by-side. Sorry for this!

Dec 14, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #165 of 652

It would be very interesting to get more pictures from inside DECKARD, maybe what transistors are in there?

I'll try to take some internal pictures of the Deckard and ID the transistors in the next week or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back