Audeze Deckard - class A amp, USB DAC
Feb 18, 2016 at 3:49 AM Post #196 of 652
I don't see why it wouldn't. But to be honest, you might have better gains in fidelity by going to a mulitbit DAC like Schiit's Bifrost. I certainly did.

That being said, I've heard MQA vs other high quality formats but not through a Meridian DAC. Very curious to compare the two, but I have no real use for buying an Explorer.

I can't see why it wouldn't either tbh. Just thought I'd ask just in case.

Thanks for the suggestion re the Schiit bit that's a bit more than I'm willing to invest right now.

Will be much easier to decide when Tidal finally switch to MQA streaming.
What was your impression of MQA?

Feb 18, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #197 of 652
I can't see why it wouldn't either tbh. Just thought I'd ask just in case.

Thanks for the suggestion re the Schiit bit that's a bit more than I'm willing to invest right now.

Will be much easier to decide when Tidal finally switch to MQA streaming.
What was your impression of MQA?

There is a ton of analysis (included spectrographs) of it out on other audio sites, but in my experience it sounded good compared to the same mastering in super high-res. The Tidal integration is very smart of them -- I don't see it going anywhere as a format you buy vs lossless.

Feb 21, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #198 of 652
Curious how this compares to a Bitfrost 4490 or Multibit + Asgard 2 or Valhalla 2 combo?

Can anyone shed some light on their experience. Will be hooking up EL-8's Closed and Audio Engine speakers.

Feb 22, 2016 at 6:03 AM Post #199 of 652
I think the DAC in the Deckard sounds as good as the bitfrost. I had a bitfrost + Ly 2 combo and I went with the Dekard because I'm not crazy about hybrid amps. Havjng said that my next amp will be a tube amp. You can't go wrong with this amp. It should sound good with EL-8s.

Feb 22, 2016 at 6:30 AM Post #200 of 652
I think the DAC in the Deckard sounds as good as the bitfrost. I had a bitfrost + Ly 2 combo and I went with the Dekard because I'm not crazy about hybrid amps. Havjng said that my next amp will be a tube amp. You can't go wrong with this amp. It should sound good with EL-8s.

Bifrost 4399 (original), Uber, 4490, or Multibit? If audio sent through USB, which version?

I've heard all 4 generations of Bifrost and all 4 types of inputs (USB ver 1, USB ver 2, Toslink and COAX), so more information helps my perspective. Thanks!

Feb 22, 2016 at 6:37 AM Post #201 of 652
Bifrost 4399 (original), Uber, 4490, or Multibit? If audio sent through USB, which version?
I've heard all 4 generations of Bifrost and all 4 types of inputs (USB ver 1, USB ver 2, Toslink and COAX), so more information helps my perspective. Thanks!

Bitfrost Uber through USB. I haven't heard multibit.

Feb 22, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #202 of 652

I've only heard the multibit version of the Bifrost vs the Deckard's DAC, and the Deckard is definitely not as good. They're probably talking about the Uber. BTW, the Deckard (amp only) and Multibit pairs amazingly.

Feb 22, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #203 of 652

I've only heard the multibit version of the Bifrost vs the Deckard's DAC, and the Deckard is definitely not as good. They're probably talking about the Uber. BTW, the Deckard (amp only) and Multibit pairs amazingly.

Have you compare multi bit + asgard 2 vs Deckard? It seems clear the bitfrost multi bit is better however it seems that the bitfrost multi bit combo with asgard 2 vs deckard dac/amp, the deckard is better over all?

Also curious if anyone has compare this to the IFI DSD Micro.

Feb 22, 2016 at 7:52 AM Post #204 of 652
  Have you compare multi bit + asgard 2 vs Deckard? It seems clear the bitfrost multi bit is better however it seems that the bitfrost multi bit combo with asgard 2 vs deckard dac/amp, the deckard is better over all?

Also curious if anyone has compare this to the IFI DSD Micro.

I haven't heard the Asgard 2 so I can't compare it as an amp. Nor have I heard the Solid State Lyr 2 which I think is a fairer comparison in price. (If you somehow stuck a Schiit Modi in the Lyr you'd have about the same price combo as the Deckard).

If you are asking about the Bifrost Multibit + Asgard 2 combo vs just the Deckard and its amp as overall sound quality, and in that price range I would say the Schiit combo would win purely on the strength of the DAC. But I have no idea what headphones you have, how much power they require. I bought the Deckard originally to use as an all-in-one unit, and it did that very well. But pairing its Class-A amp with other, better multibit DACs is a wonderful listening experience. 

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #205 of 652

I haven't heard the Asgard 2 so I can't compare it as an amp. Nor have I heard the Solid State Lyr 2 which I think is a fairer comparison in price. (If you somehow stuck a Schiit Modi in the Lyr you'd have about the same price combo as the Deckard).

If you are asking about the Bifrost Multibit + Asgard 2 combo vs just the Deckard and its amp as overall sound quality, and in that price range I would say the Schiit combo would win purely on the strength of the DAC. But I have no idea what headphones you have, how much power they require. I bought the Deckard originally to use as an all-in-one unit, and it did that very well. But pairing its Class-A amp with other, better multibit DACs is a wonderful listening experience. 

Sorry should have gave background.

Budget - 700$
Headphones - Audeze EL-8 Closed Back.

In that range I am looking at
Bitfrost 4490 with later upgrading to multibit and a Asgard or Valhalla 2. So it seems the Deckard is a lyr grade amp with a original bitfrost grade DAC? Multibit is just out of my current budget for current needs without scarifying the amp. (EL-8's are in the mail). 

I could get a Bitfrost Multi Bit and get a Schiit Magni 2 Uber. But that would be a nice Dac is an Okay Amp. I think its 1/2 of the people on here believe a Amp is more important then the Dac?

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #206 of 652
  Sorry should have gave background.

Budget - 700$
Headphones - Audeze EL-8 Closed Back.

In that range I am looking at
Bitfrost 4490 with later upgrading to multibit and a Asgard or Valhalla 2. So it seems the Deckard is a lyr grade amp with a original bitfrost grade DAC? Multibit is just out of my current budget for current needs without scarifying the amp. (EL-8's are in the mail). 

I could get a Bitfrost Multi Bit and get a Schiit Magni 2 Uber. But that would be a nice Dac is an Okay Amp. I think its 1/2 of the people on here believe a Amp is more important then the Dac?

At your budget then, I would do Bifrost 4490 and try out the Schiit amp then. And definitely upgrade the Bifrost when you have the budget. That's my deciding factor on suggesting that vs. just the Deckard.

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #207 of 652
May I have your expert opinions? I'm running my Audeze EL-8 closed off an Oppo HA-2 portable amp. DAP is a FiiO X5II. I'm looking to upgrade my work setup. What would I notice by upgrading the HA-2 for the Deckard? Instrument separation is good now, but I'd love more bass slam. 

Would especially love to hear from anyone who's upgraded from a portable amp to a desktop amp. Thanks in advance for your help.

Feb 22, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #208 of 652
  May I have your expert opinions? I'm running my Audeze EL-8 closed off an Oppo HA-2 portable amp. DAP is a FiiO X5II. I'm looking to upgrade my work setup. What would I notice by upgrading the HA-2 for the Deckard? Instrument separation is good now, but I'd love more bass slam. 

Would especially love to hear from anyone who's upgraded from a portable amp to a desktop amp. Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm happily running my EL-8C via portable (CEntrance HiFi-Skyn and Chord Mojo) and via desktop (Asgard 2 and Ragnarok). Yes, the EL-8C scales quite nicely when played out the balanced output from a Ragnarok. But none of these are Audeze Deckard, thus I feel I would be hijacking this thread to discuss.

I'll only repeat - the EL-8 headphones scale quite nicely!

Feb 22, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #209 of 652

At your budget then, I would do Bifrost 4490 and try out the Schiit amp then. And definitely upgrade the Bifrost when you have the budget. That's my deciding factor on suggesting that vs. just the Deckard.

Is it the DAC portion of the Deckard that is holding it back?

Off of your combo would it be better to get the Deckard and at a Bitfrost MB down the road? I imagine the Deckard like you said is as strong of an amp as the Lyr 2?

Feb 22, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #210 of 652
  Is it the DAC portion of the Deckard that is holding it back?

Off of your combo would it be better to get the Deckard and at a Bitfrost MB down the road? I imagine the Deckard like you said is as strong of an amp as the Lyr 2?

First caveat, this is my subjective impression as someone who's heard a decent amount of headphones, amps, and DACs. But it's just my personal opinion.

The Deckard's DAC is very good for a $700 Class A amp/DAC combo. I believe it's a Brown-Burr DAC. But it's still a Delta Sigma 1-bit chip. I heard immediately noticeable gains in detail and presence of instruments when switching from the Deckard DAC to the Bifrost Multibit. Once you switch to multibit you'll notice just how "harsh" and "digital" DS DACs sound in comparison. Like upscaling a 480p image to 1080p vs a true 1080p image. Sure, the picture is there but it's been filled in digitally with approximations of the actual original source data -- in this case, music. The Bifrost Multibit keeps all the samples for 16-bit CD quality music (or streaming) and in my opinion it shows. 

Some people unbendingly think DACs are a minor part of the sound and might advise against my opinions. All I can say is I am a firm believer in multibit technology, specifically Schiits and their digital filter. While it seems expensive spending $600 on the Bifrost Multibit and $700 on the Deckard, it gave me an amp/DAC system that would cost 4-5x more from other companies and probably not even sound as good.

Deckard is interesting because it really isn't being hyped up/discussed as much as other amps in that price range. I have limited experience with amps, but multiple review sites have said the Deckard pairs well with top of the line, difficult to power headphones like the HD800. I am currently using the HE1000, which isn't as power hungry yet is still one of the best headphones (if not the best) available and I think it has more than enough power to run it well.

It is a beautifully designed/looking amp that had thought put into it to make it quality, not just a headphone manufacturer throwing out whatever it could scrape together to earn a buck.

The only downside I currently have is that it's missing is balanced output. But you'll hear opinions on both sides as to how much that matters. I'm sure the Lyr 2 sounds great, but I'm very, very happy with the Deckard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back