Audeze CRBN Interview, Review, Measurements
Sep 28, 2021 at 12:04 AM Post #631 of 1,904
Acoustic Music, Jazz, and some classical, mostly, and then, on occasion a mish-mash of "secondary" genres (Blues, "World Music," and some rock etc etc)
I just don't have enough experience with either of the new Audeze cans to make a confident recommendation, but I think the CRBN would showcase those particular genres well. The one weakness that stood out to my ear was a bit of grain in the treble that made things like a ride cymbal sound a little tizzy. Might have been the recording(s). Again, not enough quality listening time to offer sound advice, no pun intended. :relaxed:

Sep 28, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #632 of 1,904
Can anyone comment on the CRBN's comfort? I'm mostly concerned about the depth of the earpads. Headphones where my ears touch the grill in front of the driver are a no go. For reference, examples of headphones that do that for me are the HE1000SE, LCD3, and sometimes the Utopia.

Sep 29, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #633 of 1,904
I would appreciate some help from those with more experience.

Is it correct that technically speaking a planner magnetic cannot compete with a electrostatic headphone (although it sounds like things are getting closer with new technology)? Detail, transparency, speed, and effortlessness are supposedly better using electrostatic technology. This is what I have read.

So If I'm understanding correctly, the reason we all don't get electrostatic headphones is:

1: You need a special amplifier.
2. They lag behind planner magnetic technology in bass and in impact.

Are there other reasons?

Can a headphone like the CRBN be good for modern genres that require impact or will the TC be preferable?

I have read several posts saying the TC is JUST as detailed as the SR-009 but with substantially superior bass and impact. I would imagine they are certainly not as fast as the 009 just because bass weight generally slows things down a bit.

Are electro stats the preferred choice for jazz, new age, classical, while planners are preferred for modern genres like dance and rock- or can a CRBN be just as satisfying for rock and roll?

Sep 29, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #634 of 1,904

Is it correct that technically speaking a planner magnetic cannot compete with a electrostatic headphone (although it sounds like things are getting closer with new technology)? Detail, transparency, speed, and effortlessness are supposedly better using electrostatic technology. This is what I have read.

So If I'm understanding correctly, the reason we all don't get electrostatic headphones is:

Are there other reasons?

I'll let someone else chime in from a purely technical perspective, but from a quality of sound/technical performance standpoint, I absolutely wouldn't say that planars cannot compete. Although I would say that stats are still generally king for speed, transparency and detail. But that also comes at a tradeoff of bass limitations, perceived brightness and listening fatigue. (Also acknowledging that the TC is an anomaly here and absolutely competes in most aspects from the 009 and below)

The tradeoff that I mentioned above about bass and brightness, and add to that a lighter (lightweight/airy) sound that is extremely common with many electrostatic headphones, and that's why you don't have many willing to buy a $4k+ dedicated amp for a stat system. That type of transparent sound just doesn't appeal to everyone, much like the Raal Sr1a doesn't appeal to everyone.

I honestly believe the CRBN has an opportunity to close that gap for the average listener with more common listening preferences if it gets most things right, with adequate bass and a warmer tonality--we'll see.

Can a headphone like the CRBN be good for modern genres that require impact or will the TC be preferable?

I have read several posts saying the TC is JUST as detailed as the SR-009 but with substantially superior bass and impact. I would imagine they are certainly not as fast as the 009 just because bass weight generally slows things down a bit.

Are electro stats the preferred choice for jazz, new age, classical, while planners are preferred for modern genres like dance and rock- or can a CRBN be just as satisfying for rock and roll?

I can't attest to CRBN specific questions, and really no one can until they have them for an extended period with other stats. But regarding the TC/009, the differences between them come down to perception and different presentations with typical tradeoffs. The 009 is so airy and light that at times it can seem slightly more detailed. It also has a more prominent midrange, which also can increase perceived detail imo. They are both lightning fast, and I'm not sure how you'd distinguish between which is faster (excluding bass) between the 009, TC and Sr1a. So no, the bass and slightly weightier sound on the TC doesn't 'slow things down' imo. You can use both for all genres, but the TC will obliterate the 009 for anything that has heavy/hard hitting bass.

Sep 29, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #635 of 1,904
Can anyone comment on the CRBN's comfort? I'm mostly concerned about the depth of the earpads. Headphones where my ears touch the grill in front of the driver are a no go. For reference, examples of headphones that do that for me are the HE1000SE, LCD3, and sometimes the Utopia.
It's reasonably good, the only real complaint I have is that the pressure is unevenly shifted to the front of the pads. The drivers probably won't touch your ears, but knowing that the utopias can sometimes touch makes me a bit hesitant to say one or the other for certain.

Sep 29, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #636 of 1,904
To me Audeze CRBN was the highlight of CANJAM. I do have to point out I wasn't crazy about it when powered by Microzotl, I vastly preferred it with Mjolnir. To me they sounded and looked like Empyreans on major steroids. Probably the best bass Ive heard and just simply different presentation to other phones...

Sep 29, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #637 of 1,904
Has anyone received their CRBN this week yet? I thought they started shipping.

I hope to visit a friend next week to hear his but of course that assumes he receives them this week as Audeze indicated.

Sep 29, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #638 of 1,904
To me Audeze CRBN was the highlight of CANJAM. I do have to point out I wasn't crazy about it when powered by Microzotl, I vastly preferred it with Mjolnir. To me they sounded and looked like Empyreans on major steroids. Probably the best bass Ive heard and just simply different presentation to other phones...
I so hope you're right.
Looking forward to the CRBN, and if it is an Empyrean on major steroids, it might be my holy grail

Sep 29, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #639 of 1,904
Could you pls contrast what aspects of the sound between the two amps you preferred or not on CRBN?

Sep 29, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #640 of 1,904
Could you pls contrast what aspects of the sound between the two amps you preferred or not on CRBN?
I will try given the short demos and noisy room. Mjolnir was more muscular and darker in sound , without downsides typically associated with "dark" sound (like lack of detail), bass was superb ( way stronger than on Microzotl or whatever the name is) while the other amp had a lighter sound, didn't sound as powerful and bass was weaker. I'l love to hear it with Blue Hawaii (is that the name) for comparisons....I would have loved to see more music that I recognize to confirm the impressions, but I hardly knew anything they had on a playlist. Whatever happened to good old Prodigy "fat of the land" to test dynamics of a system....oh well....

Sep 29, 2021 at 8:57 PM Post #641 of 1,904
Wonder how would these sound compared to the X9000. Any plans from audeze to perhaps release a electrostatic amp?

Sep 30, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #642 of 1,904
My set of CRBN arrived about an hour or so ago.

That's 8 weeks and 3 days since placing the order, or 8 weeks from order to shipping.

As others have said, the build and finish is gorgeous. I think they're now the lightest headphones I own. Too early to say anything detailed about the sound excepting that my face hurts from grinning so much, that thus far I think they've been well worth the wait and I think Audeze have done an amazing job - not even allowing for it being their first electrostatic can.

I'm running from my Mjolnir Audio KGSSHV Carbon and my Headamp BHSE so far, and will also give them a try off the iFi Pro iESL (fed from a Chord Ultima 5) at some point. I also own the SR-009S and SR-007MK2 (with an SR-X9000 on order), among a raft of flagship non-electrostatics, so as I get time with them I'll be able to do some reasonably broad comparisons.

(Excuse the pictures; they're just for provenance - prettier ones to come later).

Audeze CRBN - QnD (1024).jpg

Audeze CRBN - Cups - QnD (1024).jpg

Sep 30, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #643 of 1,904

That's 8 weeks and 3 days since placing the order, or 8 weeks from order to shipping.

As others have said, the build and finish is gorgeous. I think they're now the lightest headphones I own. Too early to say anything detailed about the sound excepting that my face hurts from grinning so much, that thus far I think they've been well worth the wait and I think Audeze have done an amazing job - not even allowing for it being their first electrostatic can.

I'm running from my Mjolnir Audio KGSSHV Carbon and my Headamp BHSE so far, and will also give them a try off the iFi Pro iESL (fed from a Chord Ultima 5) at some point. I also own the SR-009S and SR-007MK2 (with an SR-X9000 on order), among a raft of flagship non-electrostatics, so as I get time with them I'll be able to do some reasonably broad comparisons.

(Excuse the pictures; they're just for provenance - prettier ones to come later).

Very looking forward to impressions. I might get these. I dunno if I need both SR-X9000 and CRBN but who knows maybe it’s inevitable

Sep 30, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #644 of 1,904

Audeze CRBN - QnD (1024).jpg

Audeze CRBN - Cups - QnD (1024).jpg
Jealousy level is OVER9000!

Enjoy and report impressions

Sep 30, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #645 of 1,904

Are there other reasons?

Subjective listening preferences will always come into play at the end of the day. I'll leave the engineering part of this to those who are qualified. Regarding reasons for not getting an electrostat, #1 is probably the main reason even though it's not fully true (power amp + energizer).

Also the reputation about electrostatic bass in headphones is about as true as planars always having upper mid recession, meaning it is not true and there are examples of it. The SR-009 and SR-007 bass response is much flatter than the vast majority of dynamic headphones. Perhaps they'll never be as flat as the flattest planar bass response there is, I haven't seen VOCE or X9000 or CRBN measurements.

The SR-009's bass impact, when well driven, outclasses most dynamic headphones I've heard as well as plenty of planars, but I was able to destroy this when using a warm, slow sounding yet expensive DAC. System matters so much with high end electrostats. I had both the SR-009 and LCD-4 and preferred SR-009 bass overall, due to the clarity making such a big difference even in the low frequencies (at the cost of sub bass presence). SR-009 bass impact was much higher than the HiFiMan HE-6, HE-560 v2, HE1000, HE1000v2, Sundara, every HiFiMan I've heard.

Here's hoping I'll get to audition the CRBN and SR-X9000. I'll never buy either but I can't shake the curiosity.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back