Audeze CRBN Interview, Review, Measurements
Sep 30, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #646 of 1,907
Subjective listening preferences will always come into play at the end of the day. I'll leave the engineering part of this to those who are qualified. Regarding reasons for not getting an electrostat, #1 is probably the main reason even though it's not fully true (power amp + energizer).

Also the reputation about electrostatic bass in headphones is about as true as planars always having upper mid recession, meaning it is not true and there are examples of it. The SR-009 and SR-007 bass response is much flatter than the vast majority of dynamic headphones. Perhaps they'll never be as flat as the flattest planar bass response there is, I haven't seen VOCE or X9000 or CRBN measurements.

The SR-009's bass impact, when well driven, outclasses most dynamic headphones I've heard as well as plenty of planars, but I was able to destroy this when using a warm, slow sounding yet expensive DAC. System matters so much with high end electrostats. I had both the SR-009 and LCD-4 and preferred SR-009 bass overall, due to the clarity making such a big difference even in the low frequencies (at the cost of sub bass presence). SR-009 bass impact was much higher than the HiFiMan HE-6, HE-560 v2, HE1000, HE1000v2, Sundara, every HiFiMan I've heard.

Here's hoping I'll get to audition the CRBN and SR-X9000. I'll never buy either but I can't shake the curiosity.

If we're talking accuracy/quality of bass, that's one thing.. but if we're talking impact and perceived quantity it's absolutely another. I have a very high end system that I've used with a variety of stats, and an older system that I used years ago. Overall, and in general, Stats' bass leaves something to be desired in comparison to dynamics and planars. And most people here justifiably share that opinion.

Now, for example, if you're in the camp that believes that the Sennhesier HD800 has great bass, which many here will argue, then yea I can see someone saying the 009 or stats outclass other headphones bass wise, because of listening preferences. But to most people's ears that simply is not going to be the case. And it's a big reason that a lot of people that have owned the 009 on world class systems eventually moved on from it, despite loving everything else about it. (just to add, the 009 does have decent mid-bass impact, and I've acknowledged that before)

For the record, personally, I love the 009. It was my favorite headphone easily before acquiring the SGL Sr.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #647 of 1,907
Overall, and in general, Stats' bass leaves something to be desired in comparison to dynamics and planars. And most people here justifiably share that opinion.

Not really supported by measurements when it comes to dynamic headphones. Although the SR-009 has a sub-bass dip, it's not as severe as the typical dynamic headphone sub-bass rolloff. On the other hand, if you're comparing it to dynamic headphones with a pronounced mid bass hump, then yes the dynamic headphone will have greater impact.

https://www.stereophile.com/images/StaxSR009.pdf

Impact/perceived quantity should easily surpass the HD 800, HD 800 S, and Susvara on your systems based on my experience, but be overall beneath the Focal Utopia for reference due to its mid bass hump, although the SR-009 has noticeably more sub-bass presence.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #648 of 1,907
Not really supported by measurements when it comes to dynamic headphones. Although the SR-009 has a sub-bass dip, it's not as severe as the typical dynamic headphone sub-bass rolloff. On the other hand, if you're comparing it to dynamic headphones with a pronounced mid bass hump, then yes the dynamic headphone will have greater impact.

https://www.stereophile.com/images/StaxSR009.pdf

Impact/perceived quantity should easily surpass the HD 800, HD 800 S, and Susvara on your systems based on my experience, but be overall beneath the Focal Utopia for reference due to its mid bass hump, although the SR-009 has noticeably more sub-bass presence.

Yea, I far more prioritize people's actual ears and impressions (mine included) over measurements. I know at least 3-4 long standing head-fiers with TOTL systems that left the 009 for that reason. And I don't blame them. They simply have a lighter sound throughout the entire spectrum that isn't going to be for everyone. But the clarity, transparency and detail are all best in class.. simple tradeoff situation.

And yup, agree that the 009's bass is better than the HD800/S by a bit, but definitely doesn't surpass the Susvara imho (although they're close, could see it going either way for people). But these are also headphones not at all known for bass, so it's a bit of a moot point. But with that said, extending past the 009, which isn't necessarily representative of all stats and certainly not the 007 which is a bass monster for stats, many generally are just lighter in the bass dept. Ijs the general consensus when it comes to this isn't some sort of myth.

Oct 1, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #650 of 1,907
Oct 1, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #651 of 1,907
Last edited:
Oct 1, 2021 at 9:55 PM Post #652 of 1,907
I can't imagine there are too many amps more up to the challenge than the BHSE.

Oct 1, 2021 at 11:50 PM Post #655 of 1,907
Those Torq initial impressions have me very intrigued :thinking:

Oct 2, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #658 of 1,907
I was scheduled to visit a friend tomorrow who was supposed to receive his CRBN last week after Audeze specifically told him it should be shipping last week. He emailed yesterday and they finally told him there is no shipping date yet and they would be in touch when it has shipped with his tracking number. No explanation provided to him or any new expected date ☹️

Oct 2, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #659 of 1,907
I was scheduled to visit a friend tomorrow who was supposed to receive his CRBN last week after Audeze specifically told him it should be shipping last week. He emailed yesterday and they finally told him there is no shipping date yet and they would be in touch when it has shipped with his tracking number. No explanation provided to him or any new expected date ☹️
They are shipping strictly in order of purchase. Mine was ordered 4th August and I just learned mine would ship 10th Oct

Oct 2, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #660 of 1,907
They are shipping strictly in order of purchase. Mine was ordered 4th August and I just learned mine would ship 10th Oct
I am not sure why they told him it would ship the following week. That is just not great customer service. If they were not shipping it, that is what they should have said. "We will let you know when yours is shipping". Live and learn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back