Audeze CRBN Interview, Review, Measurements
Oct 3, 2021 at 1:45 AM Post #661 of 1,910
Can any of those who know comment on how nicely the CRBN might play with the recommended converters (as opposed to the dedicated estat amps), if the converters are paired with solid and respectable high end-ish amps?

Woo Audio WEE
https://wooaudio.com/amplifiers/wee

IFI ProiESL
https://ifi-audio.com/products/pro-iesl

I particularly want to know how the IFi might play with a good SS or Hybrid Headamp. Comments on Converter + Speaker amp pairings are also welcome.

Bottomline, I would like to avoid the use of a converter if that option entails too much of a compromise in the SQ department.
I've been using the iFi with a Moon 430HA for some time to drive my SR-009S, with excellent results. I've owned or tried many of the dedicated stat drivers currently available, and prefer the iFi/Moon combo. If you like crossfeed (like me), you might also appreciate the Moon analogue crossfeed circuit. This is now my main system - previously, I used the Moon with my HD800S (which I still enjoy). I think the iFi Pro iCAN and SPL Phonitor xe also give good results, and include analogue crossfeed. I listen to classical music.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #662 of 1,910
Oct 4, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #664 of 1,910
I am not sure why they told him it would ship the following week. That is just not great customer service. If they were not shipping it, that is what they should have said. "We will let you know when yours is shipping". Live and learn.
Shipping estimates are not concrete and subject to change. As these are made to order, the process is a bit slower than basically all our other headphones, and unforeseen circumstances may occur that may push shipping estimates back. We're truly sorry for the delay caused.

He will absolutely get a shipping confirmation when his does ship.

Last edited:
Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Oct 5, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #665 of 1,910
oh man these impressions are good
I cannot wait to read Torq's updates, it's like waiting for my favorite TV show next episode! However, I may be really dumb but what the heck is visceral sound? These impressions are really making my decision more difficult, oy. They also make me impatient for selling my current cans :)

Oct 5, 2021 at 10:50 PM Post #666 of 1,910
I cannot wait to read Torq's updates, it's like waiting for my favorite TV show next episode! However, I may be really dumb but what the heck is visceral sound? These impressions are really making my decision more difficult, oy. They also make me impatient for selling my current cans :)
I take it as you can “feel” it. The sound is real, and right and front of you. You can almost reach out and touch it. I think that happens with a combo of high resolution and weight to the notes

Oct 5, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #667 of 1,910
I take it as you can “feel” it. The sound is real, and right and front of you. You can almost reach out and touch it. I think that happens with a combo of high resolution and weight to the notes
Ah ok, that makes sense with estat comparison. But then I also feel that it depends on the genre/song if estats can be visceral? For example, if I listen to vocals, to music where its just the artist singing with maybe a piano or such that it could be more "visceral" on an estat that anything else. I literally feel as if they are singing right into my ear next to me. On the other hand, with most other music I suppose the LCDs would be more visceral than any estat, except perhaps these CRBN!?

Oct 6, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #668 of 1,910
Ah ok, that makes sense with estat comparison. But then I also feel that it depends on the genre/song if estats can be visceral? For example, if I listen to vocals, to music where its just the artist singing with maybe a piano or such that it could be more "visceral" on an estat that anything else. I literally feel as if they are singing right into my ear next to me. On the other hand, with most other music I suppose the LCDs would be more visceral than any estat, except perhaps these CRBN!?
Even in the case of a Piano, when the hammer hits the string, on some headphones, it may cause one to flinch or almost feel the air moving, not so much on vocals.

Oct 6, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #671 of 1,910
Oct 6, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #673 of 1,910
Oct 6, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #674 of 1,910
My goal has been to acquire the best of dynamic and planar headphones for classical listening. I am now ready to get into electrostatics (I think). I am seriously considering the Audeze CRBN based on what has been said about them. Could anyone who is familiar with using electrostatics with classical music comment on how these phones provide a better listening experience than TOTL planars or dynamics? I’ll probably go with the IFI Pro iESL with my Ragnarok 2 for power. Everything I read seems to say Electrostatics are in another category of beauty and performance. If true, then I need to jump in and try them. Thanks in advance to anyone who responds.

Oct 7, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #675 of 1,910
Oh. Wow!
Just spent an hour with them but am no reviewer so only a few first impressions.
Beautifully finished, lighter and smaller than expected.
The earcups crackle at first but I had been warned! Super comfortable.
Sound is silk-like - really smooth all the way through the range with never a hint of harshness. Detail is fantastic!
Bass is better than expected with far more detail than expected.
Almost certainly will need a more powerful amp to get the best of out of them ( I am using a Stax modified from Mjolnir) but the challenge is to be able to listen to the other main contenders in my part of the UK.
Summing up . . .
LOVE THEM 👍🏻

Attachments

• 6BD421F6-57F9-498B-8F02-C393294A51A6.jpeg
    6BD421F6-57F9-498B-8F02-C393294A51A6.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 05F589A6-ED9E-4B62-9B1A-8F4DEB05CD52.jpeg
    05F589A6-ED9E-4B62-9B1A-8F4DEB05CD52.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • AE0AC32C-A21C-4C76-99DA-1293DD119258.jpeg
    AE0AC32C-A21C-4C76-99DA-1293DD119258.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 0