Audeze CRBN Interview, Review, Measurements
Oct 7, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #676 of 1,910
Oh. Wow!
Just spent an hour with them but am no reviewer so only a few first impressions.
Beautifully finished, lighter and smaller than expected.
The earcups crackle at first but I had been warned! Super comfortable.
Sound is silk-like - really smooth all the way through the range with never a hint of harshness. Detail is fantastic!
Bass is better than expected with far more detail than expected.
Almost certainly will need a more powerful amp to get the best of out of them ( I am using a Stax modified from Mjolnir) but the challenge is to be able to listen to the other main contenders in my part of the UK.
Summing up . . .
LOVE THEM 👍🏻
Beautiful pictures.
They Look like a Crossover between Empyrean and regular LCDS. Really beautiful.

Can you elaborate on the crackling. That sounds concerning and I never heard of that before.

Also looking forward to any impressions after you had them a while. Enjoy!

Oct 7, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #677 of 1,910
Oh. Wow!
Just spent an hour with them but am no reviewer so only a few first impressions.
Sound is silk-like - really smooth all the way through the range with never a hint of harshness. Detail is fantastic!
Almost certainly will need a more powerful amp to get the best of out of them ( I am using a Stax modified from Mjolnir) but the challenge is to be able to listen to the other main contenders in my part of the UK.
summing up . . .
LOVE THEM
Beautiful pictures.

Can you elaborate on the crackling. That sounds concerning and I never heard of that before.

The crackling is a little like there is liquid in the cups which I certainly trust is not the case 😉
It only happens when you first put them on and I believe it’s air that gets trapped between the diaphragm and cup.
Just as well I was warned though being electrostatics 🙄

Oct 7, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #678 of 1,910
Beautiful pictures.

Pressure changes inside the ear cups cause many electrostatic headphones to make the classic 'pop' or 'fart' noise. Since CRBN is different in assembly and materials used compared to typical electrostatic headphones, it makes a 'crackling' noise instead, which is completely normal and only heard while adjusting the headphones on the head but not under normal listening or head movement.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #679 of 1,910
Oh. Wow!
summing up . . .
LOVE THEM

The crackling is a little like there is liquid in the cups which I certainly trust is not the case 😉
It only happens when you first put them on and I believe it’s air that gets trapped between the diaphragm and cup.
Just as well I was warned though being electrostatics 🙄

Pressure changes inside the ear cups cause many electrostatic headphones to make the classic 'pop' or 'fart' noise. Since CRBN is different in assembly and materials used compared to typical electrostatic headphones, it makes a 'crackling' noise which is completely normal and only heard while adjusting the headphones on the head but not under normal listening or head movement.
Thx for the explanation. Good to know, then I won't panic when I receive my pair and put them on

Oct 8, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #680 of 1,910
How does one know the power output of an electrostatic headphone amp?

The official spec of the SRM-353X is 400 Vrms, which was used to make the Head-Fi measurements that Jude did at ~96 dB SPL.
Screenshot_20211008-140758__01.jpg

Although after reviewing Jude's setup for these measurements, I guess the dB SPL measurement is irrelevant to the amp's output power.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #685 of 1,910
Oh. Wow!

Auditioned these today with the Z10e amp.

Light, comfortable and super comfortable - tick. Clamp force is quite soft.
Detail, clarity, precision and timing are exceptional. Classical and acoustic vocals were marvellous.
It may be the amp set-up (or not) but I found the mids/treble slightly overemphasised for my taste.
Treble extension and sparkle - tick. No sibilance.
Bass is controlled. These are electrostatics after all.

Not sure about silk. Oriolus Isabellae and Empyreans I would describe as soft and silky. Maybe the LCD-5 with the Meze Empyrean silver plated cable. I think I can envision where you're coming from but wasn't my first impression. More viscose than silk perhaps. Splitting hairs here!

Oct 13, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #687 of 1,910
Detail, clarity, precision and timing are exceptional. Classical and acoustic vocals were marvellous.
It may be the amp set-up (or not) but I found the mids/treble slightly overemphasised for my taste.
More viscose than silk perhaps.

Mids/treble emphasis can be of many kinds. Is it more like a neutral level-boost ("too much light"), or zingy, or shouty, or something else?
It's also hard to correlate this with "viscose". No sibilance is good.

Oct 13, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #688 of 1,910
Mids/treble emphasis can be of many kinds. Is it more like a neutral level-boost ("too much light"), or zingy, or shouty, or something else?
It defiantly takes the edge off of some otherwise excellent recordings but no sibilance is a much better description 🙃

Oct 13, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #689 of 1,910
Unless the sibilance is on the recording...in which case, I don't want it glossed over. If a component masks that...what else is it smoothing over?

Oct 13, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #690 of 1,910
Auditioned these today with the Z10e amp.

Not sure about silk. Oriolus Isabellae and Empyreans I would describe as soft and silky. Maybe the LCD-5 with the Meze Empyrean silver plated cable. I think I can envision where you're coming from but wasn't my first impression. More viscose than silk perhaps. Splitting hairs here!

There was a noted difference for me between the Z10e and the MA Carbon when listening at CanJam in the upper frequencies and sound's "hardness" - but too difficult to really tell in the environment how much I liked them.
Fighting myself between picking up the Srx9 or this...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back