Audeze CRBN Interview, Review, Measurements
Aug 6, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #241 of 1,894
Looks good, until I read the specs (at least for normal headphones), correct me if I'm wrong but according to their website, for headphones (Dynamic /Planar) this are the specs:

High output:
15 Ohm 5,6 W
120 Ohm 1,5W
600 Ohm 0,3W

I think are a little bit to low specially at 600 Ohm.
Why do ohms matter? I've never looked at impedance driving a estat. So I'm not being a dick I just never looked at ohms unless it's dynamic.

Aug 6, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #242 of 1,894
Looks good, until I read the specs (at least for normal headphones), correct me if I'm wrong but according to their website, for headphones (Dynamic /Planar) this are the specs:

High output:
15 Ohm 5,6 W
120 Ohm 1,5W
600 Ohm 0,3W

I think are a little bit to low specially at 600 Ohm.
Bryston BHA1 : Hi – 10,9V bei 0,001%, 200 mW an 600Ω. Is this a weak headphoneamplifier???
You can`t compare amps without knowing at which distortion they are measured. Wells Audio Headtrip for example measures at 0,006% distortion. (OK it is still very strong for sure) Paltauf measures at 0,001% like Bryston.
Paltauf has max Outputvoltage 36vss. With my HD600, HD800, Abyss 1266 Akg K1000 poti at 10 o`clock it will blow my head out.
900VS max for estat drives a 007 and Voce easily
4E37F7F3-949D-49FA-9F79-21CF21CB85DF.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #243 of 1,894
I'd stay away from those multi amps the Solaris was a let down. Sent it back quick. Couldn't do good on 1266 and Perun Rock had no volume(loudness). It sounded weird too.

Aug 6, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #244 of 1,894
I'd stay away from those multi amps the Solaris was a let down. Sent it back quick. Couldn't do good on 1266 and Perun Rock had no volume(loudness). It sounded weird too.
I do not have any experience with this type of amps, ones that can drive it all, but your assessment seems to be pretty much what I read online.

Paltauf measures at 0,001% like Bryston.
Paltauf has max Outputvoltage 36vss. With my HD600, HD800, Abyss 1266 Akg K1000 poti at 10 o`clock it will blow my head out.
900VS max for estat drives a 007 and Voce easily
What other amps have you tried, that you could compare Paltauf to for dynamic/planar headphones? My point of reference would be 1266 and Bartok/Viva/Riviera amps. I plan to audition 009S and Paltauf myself soon at a dealer in Germany, so wondering if I should bother bringing my 1266 with me across the border to compare.

Aug 6, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #245 of 1,894
Chiming in on amps, we've been using the Linear Tube Audio Z10e for most of the demos at Audeze HQ so far (and we used them for the NYC/SoundCity videos as well, so all those artist reactions on the site were filmed after listening through this amp).

This is my reference integrated at home, which I use for all my Audeze cans and my Focal floorstanding speakers. With CRBN, I tend to like the 30-50 range on the gain knob, which is quite loud and very dynamic (the gain goes up to 99, which would blow some eardrums). FWIW, there's also plenty of power for the 200 Ohm LCD-4 via the Hi output jack, and the LO jack gets subtle enough to drive the super-efficient LCD-MX4 and 4z.

Yesterday, Herb Reichert told me he will be using a Z10e for his upcoming review of CRBN. (He's already reviewed the amp in Stereophile.)

For the bargain hunters, LTA is offering a bundle deal on a Z10e with a pair of CRBNs right now.

_DSC0943 (2).JPG

Attachments

• _DSC0942 (2).JPG
    _DSC0942 (2).JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 6, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #247 of 1,894
I do not have any experience with this type of amps, ones that can drive it all, but your assessment seems to be pretty much what I read online.

What other amps have you tried, that you could compare Paltauf to for dynamic/planar headphones? My point of reference would be 1266 and Bartok/Viva/Riviera amps. I plan to audition 009S and Paltauf myself soon at a dealer in Germany, so wondering if I should bother bringing my 1266 with me across the border to compare.
Amps I have owned: Malvalve, Moon 430, Bakoon HPA21, Bryston BHA1, Fosgate Signature, Audio GD, ifi ICan etc. and a lot of Stax, HighAmp and KGSShv Amps
Amps I could compare directly with the Paltauf:
- Riviera: stage is huge, everything is blown up, if you like that, you will love it. But is it realistic? High quality build. Price is 3 times of Paltauf and no electrostats. Out of my budget.
- Audiovalve : No chance, too lush, horrible design.
- Chord Hugo 2: Ok, but no emotion.

Amps I have listend to:
VIVA, what a beauty with the 1266. Ferrari-Sound.But too hot to touch. It`s ok for cold winternights.
Bartok: Didn`t touch my soul with the 1266. I expected much more. Maybe not in the right mood?
Chord DAVE: same as Bartok
Cayin HA 300: little bit like Riviera and VIVA : huge stage, sweet tubes but dynamic, heavy red wine.

Aug 6, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #248 of 1,894
Sometimes, if you read here in Headfi about amps for electrostatic hp, you get the impression that there is only Mjönir and BHSE.
I `ve had 2 KGSSHV and listend to the BHSE, but PALTAUF toppt them both with body and naturalness. And I can listen to all other headphones on the same level for the same price as a carbon. https://paltauf.com/index.php/kopfhoererverstaerker/khv-esd
I have my blue Hawaii gathering dust because of my SRD7 pro, topping a30p and software eq. Why people use amps as eq?

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #249 of 1,894
We're all very different. I personally think using EQ is blasphemous (I'm overexaggerating guys). I feel dirty altering the sound so...blatantly. I mean, I WISH I didn't feel this way. Tailoring the sound to your liking sounds like such an easy way to live life. Yet, I can't. I'll take a headphone's inherent sound, warts and all. If not, I use another headphone.

I know I'm not the only one that thinks this way. Not saying my way is right. Just saying it's just how I personally feel.

To clarify: Cipher and Reveal are official and intentional, and fall under a grey area that I'm personally fine with.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #250 of 1,894
We're all very different. I personally think using EQ is blasphemous. I feel dirty altering the sound so...blatantly. I mean, I WISH I didn't feel this way. Tailoring the sound to your liking sounds like such an easy way to live life. Yet, I can't. I'll take a headphone's inherent sound, warts and all. If not, I use another headphone.

I know I'm not the only one that thinks this way. Not saying my way is right. Just saying it's just how I personally feel.
Well that would mean Audeze’s Reveal plugin (or cipher cable) is blasphemous.

Aug 6, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #251 of 1,894
Well that would mean Audeze’s Reveal plugin (or cipher cable) is blasphemous.
I may work for Audeze, but that doesn't mean I can't have personal tastes. I'm not a faceless robot without personal tastes. I've been at Audeze for a month. I've been here for 11 years. They don't expect me to not have some personal preferences.

I'd consider Cipher or Reveal somewhat of grey areas for me personally. I haven't experienced the cipher cable or Reveal. So I can't give my input. And in those cases, the cipher cable was made by the company and was intended to be used. Reveal is also intended to be used with such headphones. Intent being the key word. If Audeze made an EQ and said, use this, as this is how we want X product to sound, I'd take that as the sound intended for the headphone, so I'd use it.

And blasphemous is a gross overexaggeration, clearly.

Here, to satiate you:

I personally don't EQ, as I prefer to listen to the headphone's intended sound. The same with the LCD-R's bass shelf switch. They were intentionally and officially made to be used. They're not user end additions.

For something like the Mobius and Penrose, they are pre-EQed to hit a specific sound target. It's not like I consider that a problem. That is the intended target of the product.

Yes, weird, but it is how it is.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #252 of 1,894
Looking forward to seeing how this progresses and to hear if these HPs are substantially different from the 009S to warrant a purchase. Subscribed.

Aug 6, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #253 of 1,894
I may work for Audeze, but that doesn't mean I can't have personal tastes. I'm not a faceless robot. I've been at Audeze for a Month. I've been here for 11 years.

I'd consider Cipher or Reveal somewhat of grey areas for me personally. I haven't experienced the cipher cable or Reveal. So I can't give my input. And in those cases, the cipher cable was made by the company. Reveal is also intended to be used with such headphones.

And blasphemous is a gross overexaggeration, clearly.

Here, to satiate you:

I personally don't EQ, as I prefer to listen to the headphone's intended sound. The same with the LCD-R's bass shelf switch. They were intentionally and officially made to be used. They're not user end additions.

For something like the Mobius and Penrose, they are pre-EQed to hit a specific sound target. It's not like I consider that a problem. That is the intended target of the product.

Yes, weird, but it is how it is.
Concerts are considered to be the reference. And even there it’s EQd.

Aug 6, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #254 of 1,894
Concerts are considered to be the reference. And even there it’s EQd.
Like I said, I never said my taste were right. It's just how I feel about headphones. And even then I'm fallible. I use virtual surround programs when I game with headphones. Clearly not 'intended' from factory. I wish I didn't feel this way. Audiophilia would be much more easy. :p

Aug 6, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #255 of 1,894
I don't use EQ because thus far it always robbed the life from the music. I tried convolution files direct to HQPlayer, phase correction I even paid a firm to make filters according to the measurements done in my room (that was with speakers). It can sound...more hi-fi, but it is for me always less music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back